Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of Same-Day Flight Change or Standby AA - US? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Status of Same-Day Flight Change or Standby AA - US? (consolidated)

Have an email into AA Customer Service and haven't been able to get through by phone, so figured I'd ask the forum here. I couldn't find a recent thread discussing this.

I am AA Gold and US Silver, and have a flight this Friday from CLT to LGA booked on AA using BA Avios. My AA FF# is in the itinerary, and I was able to use my status to select a premium seat (exit row). I see there are a few flights from CLT to EWR operating by US that I would prefer to take. Does anyone know if I would be able to SDC from a AA flight (booked with Avios) to a US flight to a different airport? Any experiences would be welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 15, 2014 at 7:20 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I'd be surprised, especially since BA and US have no relationship until March 31.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Same-Day Flight Change/Standby from AA flight to US flight?

I believe that if you were trying to SDFC on only AA from LGA to EWR you could not do that as LGA and EWR are not considered co-terminus as LGA & JFK are. I've only had luck doing that in cases of IRROPs.

With an award, it is less a matter of SDFC and really about switching the award but, as pointed out above, US doesn't take Avios. Your only chance might be an AA code share that is available as an award but with the recent code shares who knows if they can be booked as an award.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Since US isn't OW, no.

Since you're changing routing, no.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
Traveling on AA today, I asked if possible to go standby on US for same routing as ticketed on AA, less a connection. Answer was no can do - yet - but coming soon.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by UAfan
Traveling on AA today, I asked if possible to go standby on US for same routing as ticketed on AA, less a connection. Answer was no can do - yet - but coming soon.
Hmm, I need to go DCA-LAX-DCA March 6-9, and US flights are much cheaper, but hoping to standby for an AA
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 4aks
Hmm, I need to go DCA-LAX-DCA March 6-9, and US flights are much cheaper, but hoping to standby for an AA
The words too soon come to mind, especially since AA and US will still be in separate terminals at LAX then.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Platinum, SM, OP, HHonors Gold, SPG Ambassador
So if I am booked PHX-DFW-ORD and I want to stand by for PHX-LAX-ORD or something like that, that's not allowed, even if it's on the same airline? I thought you could take any routing as long as it isn't an illegal connection...?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by saleenxp8
So if I am booked PHX-DFW-ORD and I want to stand by for PHX-LAX-ORD or something like that, that's not allowed, even if it's on the same airline? I thought you could take any routing as long as it isn't an illegal connection...?
Your situation differs from those discussed in the earlier posts. All of those situations involve changing airlines (AA/US) and some also involve changing the destination airport.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by saleenxp8
So you get to the airport with a ticket PHX-DFW-ORD and manage to get on PHX-LAX. What do you have when you deplane? A ticket DFW-ORD and you're in LAX. See a potential problem? You can't just show up any airport and say "I want to go to C" if you don't have a ticket from that airport to C.

You can stand by for an earlier PHX-DFW flight but not PHX-LAX to prevent that problem. Otherwise, look at the possibilities. You need 4K miles for an award, so you buy the cheapest out and back ticket from PHX. Then you stand by for PHX-PHL and stand by for PHL-PHX. When you get back to PHX you've flown 4K+ miles for the price of a PHX-LAX-PHX or whatever is cheaper ticket. Heck, with that cheap ticket you could leave PHX, fly around the country a couple of days and get 8K-10K miles by the time you returned to PHX.

Jim
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT
What about same day standby for a PAID ticket, same airports.

For example,

SFO-PHX-LAX booked on US Air - I'd like to stand by SFO-LAX on AA.

I'm AA Platinum.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 310mrl
What about same day standby for a PAID ticket, same airports.

For example,

SFO-PHX-LAX booked on US Air - I'd like to stand by SFO-LAX on AA.

I'm AA Platinum.
Not yet. AA and US are still separate airlines, with the same corporate owner. They are not one, yet.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Same day standby for AAdvantage Platinum on US?

Considering booking a US flight MIA to PHL. US has better flight options then AA but I'm not sure what time I will actually be done with work and able to depart. Would I be able to do free same day standby on US flights like I do on AA??
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
If there's a flight departing less than 6 hours before your ticketed flight, you can use the MoveUp program - at the airport - to confirm a seat on that earlier flight. If there's such a flight but no seats are available, you can stand by. Both are free for AA elites.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL PM/CRC, MarriottGold
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
If there's a flight departing less than 6 hours before your ticketed flight, you can use the MoveUp program - at the airport - to confirm a seat on that earlier flight. If there's such a flight but no seats are available, you can stand by. Both are free for AA elites.
Two weeks ago was on US. Tried to SDC for earlier flight and was DENIED. Told that "systems arent integrated yet." Pointed out that clearly on website says I am eligible for SDC. Denied. Contacted AA through Twitter, was told "not eligible" yet. Pointed out TWO websites to them (US and AA) that says yes, and seems to be a discrepancy. They were appropriately concerned and apologized for denying the SDC. By then it was too late of course.

Be sure to verify this if you're counting on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.