Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of Same-Day Flight Change or Standby AA - US? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by diver858
Booking with Avios is an entirely different animal - you will have to go back to BA to make ANY changes - NO standbys.
Is this a US policy? I have stood by before using Avios-booked tickets on AA without problem.

Edit: To clarify, I'm asking about standby, not MoveUp, the latter of which would presumably require the ticket to be reissued more than once in my case.

Last edited by linglingfool; Apr 28, 2014 at 7:39 pm
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Anything that requires reticketing is a no go, as the Avios rewards are BA tickets.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:03 pm

I understand that US won't touch these prior to the day of departure because they're plated on 125 stock, but I'm trying to figure out exactly what they will/won't do on day of departure. Obviously, as the operating carrier, they have leeway on which flight they're going to put you on, so the question is whether or not it's ever possible to standby for an earlier US flight when confirmed on a later AA flight. I would suspect this won't be the case until further down the road, but wanted to hear from anyone who had experience trying to do this.

Also, OP, sorry for threadjacking -- your thread was the most similar I could find to the question I had.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:25 am

I just flew with avios points on US Air and was treated like excrement as a chairman elite on us. Once they see avios BA they just seem to hate you
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
On US Air your AA award ticket will not allow you to go stand by on another US Air flight...without paying a change fee.

I tried it last week. They do give you lounge access.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Is this a US policy? I have stood by before using Avios-booked tickets on AA without problem.

Edit: To clarify, I'm asking about standby, not MoveUp, the latter of which would presumably require the ticket to be reissued more than once in my case.
Pure standby on AA metal is okay. Anything else, including standing by another co-terminal airport (e.g. ORD-LGA to ORD-JFK) is not allowed on BA award ticket.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by satman40
On US Air your AA award ticket will not allow you to go stand by on another US Air flight...without paying a change fee.

I tried it last week. They do give you lounge access.
To clarify, was your award originally booked on an AA or a US flight # when you tried to standby for the earlier US flight?
Old May 24, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
Same day standby mixed scenario (SDS on AA codeshare op by US?)

Did a couple of searches and can't find this scenario.....

AA PLT.
AA ticket.
AA flight numbers, US code share.
Example: AA ticket for US operated LGA-DCA-RDU.

When I get to LGA, can I SDS for a direct LGA-RDU on AA?
Old May 29, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P
Same question here and genuinely did try to search for it beforehand.. sorry if I've missed it. Guess I lied a little, the scenario is: AA PLT, AA ticketed and AA operated, can I SDS or use some other same-day change mechanism to fly US metal to the same destination?

Thanks!
Old May 30, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
So my understanding of the answer to your scenario: NO. Because you can't SDS TO a codeshare.

My scenario is different. AA PLT, AA ticket, AA flights but US codeshare, wanting to SDS on AA.

I'll know for sure in 2 days (travelling 6/1).

AA via twitter told me SDS should be fine in this scenario as it's an AA ticket but they had to check on same day confirmed for $75. But agent in airport told me differently. We'll find out
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
I have an award ticket booked (for tomorrow) on AA operated flights using BA miles. AA wouldn't allow me to change (same day confirmed) to an earlier AA operated flight over the phone. Is there away they would allow me to do it at the airport assuming the seats are available? Pls let me know if someone has a recent experience. Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gv111
I have an award ticket booked (for tomorrow) on AA operated flights using BA miles. AA wouldn't allow me to change (same day confirmed) to an earlier AA operated flight over the phone. Is there away they would allow me to do it at the airport assuming the seats are available? Pls let me know if someone has a recent experience. Thanks.
Yup. I've done it on Avios tickets.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by britishcanuck
Yup. I've done it on Avios tickets.
Thanks! Can you pls add some details? Like if it was at the airport or phone, did u have to pay the $75 fees, if they did it readily or u had to speak to a supervisor etc. Trying to take an earlier flight else I will reach after 1 AM. So any further insight is highly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I did it at the airport. Walked up to the check-in desk and asked if I could switch to the earlier flight. I was flying DFW-IAD and switched to DFW-DCA. I am AA Gold, so no $75 fee. Not sure what the fees are if you don't have status.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by britishcanuck
I did it at the airport. Walked up to the check-in desk and asked if I could switch to the earlier flight. I was flying DFW-IAD and switched to DFW-DCA. I am AA Gold, so no $75 fee. Not sure what the fees are if you don't have status.
The $75 fee exists regardless of your status. I'm an EXP, and always get charged this fee. You must have gotten a nice agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.