Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Get a 100% bonus when you buy or gift miles (July 1-31, 2013 - May be targeted)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Not sure how targeted this is.

Checked my emails.

I got an email
My wife got the email
My daughter did not

Just logged into DM on my daughters account and low and behold my daughter also has the opportunity to get 100% bonus.

If you did not get the email and want to purchase some miles it is probably worthwhile logging in and trying to buy some miles and see what happens.

Good luck.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Didn't get the email. Logged in earlier, nothing either.

Just tried to log in to check again, and page hangs up on the buy mileage page. Hopefully a good sign for me! Looking to purchase another 100,000.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
The buy page has been sticky all night.

Managed though to buy my miles in the end.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:59 pm

Man, I hope the feds prevent USAirways from joining AA! Need to go on moar trips.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Aeran
It's targeted - acct that bought 168k miles this year received the 100% promo, as did one that bought 181k miles this year; however acct that bought 10.5k miles this year (but 100k last year) didn't have the promo, nor did one(s) that didn't buy anything so far this year.
Awesome post!

So to double-check, the targeted account would buy 100K miles for itself.

Then the targeted account would buy another 50K miles, which it would then gift to the non-targeted account. Then the non-targeted account would receive a 50K bonus to get 100K total?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by ShaneMcConnell
Didn't get the email. Logged in earlier, nothing either.

Just tried to log in to check again, and page hangs up on the buy mileage page. Hopefully a good sign for me! Looking to purchase another 100,000.

And what are the people going to do with all those miles? They will be less valuable once US will be merged into AA! @:-)
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
And what are the people going to do with all those miles? They will be less valuable once US will be merged into AA! @:-)
I'm continuing to stockpile US miles with a view that they will end up in AA / OW. I am also assuming the "new" (post merger) program will be no worse than it is at present. While not nearly as flexible as US it has some features which I like; e.g. One-way awards, and explorer awards. What I don't like is the increased mileage for the sort of itineraries I would use, inflexible routing on all partner awards, and limited award availability on some OW members (QF in particular).
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:44 pm

So what's the cost if you max out on this?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by bluwater
So what's the cost if you max out on this?
$1,881.25
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
It's indeed targeted. I tried and was offered only the regular 0.035 cpm with no bonus.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold; Accor Plat; SQ/TG
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Awesome post!

So to double-check, the targeted account would buy 100K miles for itself.

Then the targeted account would buy another 50K miles, which it would then gift to the non-targeted account. Then the non-targeted account would receive a 50K bonus to get 100K total?
That's correct, however to be precise the targeted account wouldn't 'buy another 50k miles, which it would then gift', but rather gift the miles upfront so they never hit the target account. Others may interpret buying then gifting as buying then sharing - which won't get the bonus - so just wanted to clarify

Here's a quick summary:
Target_Acct = account with 100% buy/gift bonus
NonTarget_Acct = account without 100% buy/gift bonus

Target_Acct buys 50k + 50k miles for $1,881.25 -> Target_Acct receives 100k miles
Target_Acct gifts 50k + 50k miles for $1,881.25 to NonTarget_Acct -> NonTarget_Acct receives 100k miles

For both transactions you log in as the Target_Acct to make the purchase, since that's the one that has the 100% promo, but on one transaction you buy and the other(s) you gift. If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to do this to multiple NonTarget_Accts with only one Target_Acct but do so at your own risk
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:42 am

Wait, so I can gift 100K to a non-target account, then buy 100K for myself and that's permissible?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I received no email.

But going to the buy miles page it asked for my name and DM# so that "we could get started"...boom 100% offer...

Go Gators
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:53 am

Is it really a good deal? $1885.00 for 100k non-PQMs?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by bluwater
Is it really a good deal? $1885.00 for 100k non-PQMs?
No, not if you are deriving most of your satisfaction from US from being an elite and getting upgraded on paid flights. Then flying on miles is a mixed blessing and an offer like this is no use.

If, however, you are saving for a big trip or some such, then for <$2,000 you may be able to ride in Business or First Class style at a fraction of what it would cost you otherwise.

Thus the conventional thinking is that this is a good deal if you have such a trip in mind, less so otherwise. See the link in my post above for similar thoughts from someone who does this stuff for a living.

FWIW, I am not buying. Price would have to come to less than 1.5 cents a mile to make me willing to hold miles on spec when they clearly can (and almost certainly will, come the merger) be devalued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.