Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Found this link which says they will join OW by 2014. This may have been posted here before so I apologize if it's a duplicate-
[URL="http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2013/07/us-airways-to-leave-star-alliance-join-oneworld-by-start-of-2014/"]

Doesn't say when exactly but it seems like Jan 1 would be a good clean start date. Maybe December flights would be *A. Seems I can be a bit more optimistic that on a mid October flight on UA, US would still be in *A as the other thought process is a Nov 1 start date.

Missing *A already.....
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Found this link which says they will join OW by 2014. This may have been posted here before so I apologize if it's a duplicate-
[URL="http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2013/07/us-airways-to-leave-star-alliance-join-oneworld-by-start-of-2014/"]

Doesn't say when exactly but it seems like Jan 1 would be a good clean start date. Maybe December flights would be *A. Seems I can be a bit more optimistic that on a mid October flight on UA, US would still be in *A as the other thought process is a Nov 1 start date.

Missing *A already.....
I think the one piece that we all lose on is having two domestic airlines in the same alliance. It was really convenient. I suppose with the fact that most of the US/AA networks not overlapping, it more or less IS like having two domestic OW airlines though.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Jasper2
I can't imagine any IT department of any Fortune 500 "screwing up" such a simple task. You take a duplicate sample of a representative database from each company, export the data to a dummy "new" database and see if it works with the export/import algorithm. Not rocket science. You don't use the algorithm until it has been thoroughly tested. I'd be surprised if the algorithm doesn't already exist. Someone has to be working on this!
The data sharing necessary for this may not be permissible until the merger's been completed, particularly if it's customer data.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: None
Determining whether merging res systems (and affiliated parts like FF systems) is technically hard or easy is far above my pay grade. I've just noted that two mergers attempted it where Shares was one of the pre-merger systems as well as the surviving system and neither went well.

Whether AA has people experienced in Shares that could help US' IT department with the change-over or not, I have no idea. But AA has been Sabre since it proposed a jointly-owned system for the industry which was rejected by the "big boys" in the industry at that time so they did it on their own.

Jim
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I think the one piece that we all lose on is having two domestic airlines in the same alliance. It was really convenient. I suppose with the fact that most of the US/AA networks not overlapping, it more or less IS like having two domestic OW airlines though.
It was actually the other way around for me - I took the cheaper of US or UA but still got to keep my preferred qualification miles (helps that I am open to flying out of EWR or PHL....). Now, with the single domestic airline in OneWorld, it is the USdbaAA way or the highway
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
My apologies if this has been covered somewhere -- I searched the thread but didn't find anything much -- but any idea if we'll be able to credit Alaska flights to US DM at any point before the US name/FF program cease to exist (or even the status of Alaska's partnership with AA longterm given the merger)?
I primarily fly US, but I'll have 2 trips on Alaska that I'm crediting to AA. I hope that my 2013 flights earned on US and my Alaska flights credited to AA will be all count toward 2014 status with the new AA.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
It was actually the other way around for me - I took the cheaper of US or UA but still got to keep my preferred qualification miles (helps that I am open to flying out of EWR or PHL....). Now, with the single domestic airline in OneWorld, it is the USdbaAA way or the highway
I'm in the same boat, equidistant from EWR and PHL. I'm really not sure if I'm going to stay or not, but the new UA spend requirement of $5,000 on UA ticketed flights, if I wanted to stay in *A, will probably force me to stay with US/AA. I spend probably around $3,000-$4,000 per year (all personal) across * Alliance, but I'm not adding an extra $1,000-$2,000 or more to my costs just to stay * Gold.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I'm in the same boat, equidistant from EWR and PHL. I'm really not sure if I'm going to stay or not, but the new UA spend requirement of $5,000 on UA ticketed flights, if I wanted to stay in *A, will probably force me to stay with US/AA. I spend probably around $3,000-$4,000 per year (all personal) across * Alliance, but I'm not adding an extra $1,000-$2,000 or more to my costs just to stay * Gold.
The way I see it, whichever one you choose - Star or Oneworld - you don't have a domestic choice anymore. You either pay the minimum spend, or pay the "monopoly" (as applied to alliance) fares.....with 2 domestic airlines on the same network I always saw a choice (typically fly from EWR with US or from PHL with UA!!).
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:29 am

Hi, not sure if I can ask questions like this.

1) Does anyone know when is the last day I can still use US mileage to redeem Star Alliance?
2) Right now, looks like the mileage requirements of award tickets for Star Alliance with US mileage are lower than for OneWorld with AA mileage. (i.e. USA to north Asia business class round trip US 90,000 miles vs AA 100,000 miles) Can I say if I have US mileage now, then it will depreciate once it changes to AA mileage?

Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Unconfirmed reports are the last day is as Early as being October 31.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Jasper2
I can't imagine any IT department of any Fortune 500 "screwing up" such a simple task. You take a duplicate sample of a representative database from each company, export the data to a dummy "new" database and see if it works with the export/import algorithm. Not rocket science. You don't use the algorithm until it has been thoroughly tested. I'd be surprised if the algorithm doesn't already exist. Someone has to be working on this!
Guess you weren't around for the CO/UA merger, where not only this simple task was a long drawn-out and error-prone process, but virtually every simple change they make is bug-ridden at the outset and in many cases never entirely fixed.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:15 pm

The rumors are quite excellent, as my wife wants us to head to PHX or SAN (whichever is cheaper) to see my inlaws sometime in October. I guess my best bet is to book BOS-PHX on US metal if I want to make sure we have it creditable to US.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
it would not shock anyone if the new AA goes to a revenue based model too. You really should hedge your bets.

Determining whether merging res systems (and affiliated parts like FF systems) is technically hard or easy is far above my pay grade. I've just noted that two mergers attempted it where Shares was one of the pre-merger systems as well as the surviving system and neither went well.

Whether AA has people experienced in Shares that could help US' IT department with the change-over or not, I have no idea. But AA has been Sabre since it proposed a jointly-owned system for the industry which was rejected by the "big boys" in the industry at that time so they did it on their own.
US had sabre a while back so I don't know that it will be that painful to switch over.

How do you upgrade a US elite on a AA flight when they won't have any e500s?
Simple: Just credit all US elites with 4 E500's per 10,000 miles they have flown this year except for CP's where they will be still eligible for CPU's.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by fieldeng
it would not shock anyone if the new AA goes to a revenue based model too. You really should hedge your bets.
My gut feeling is that it will likely be a while until they switch, given that the merger hasn't STARTED yet.

Also: there really isn't a way to hedge bets once US leaves *A, unless you can manufacture enough travel to keep you elite in TWO alliances. Even going for something like A3 *G is still 19,000 miles that will count for diddly-squat on US.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by fieldeng
US had sabre a while back so I don't know that it will be that painful to switch over.
US was using Sabre until the change to Shares after the US/HP merger. But has the FF data been kept up to date in Sabre since? I doubt it and the problem seems to be transferring the data to Shares, which is what was done in the US/HP and CO/UA mergers. Maybe going the reverse way - from Shares to Sabre - will work better. Like I said, that's far above my pay grade but I think that if I were a FF I'd create a paper trail to verify how many miles I had, earned, and used until the change-over is done and everything is working correctly.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.