Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
TUS is a Southwest town

WN drives the action at TUS - it used to be cheap to fly there but since WN ceased to be a low cost carrier a few years ago not so much any more.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by best
Do we know any actual info how the merger with AA is going to affect the redemption of expired USAir miles?
No - we don't know far more basic details about the merged frequent flier program and probably won't for a while.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: None
Also, your US miles won't expire just because of the merger. They'll become "new" AA miles at some point.

Jim
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Just out of curiosity, has there been any news on when US Airways will officially be leaving the Star Alliance? US Airways has some great fares in mid-October I was looking at; but if they leave the alliance before then it may keep me from hitting my status threshold. Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: None
I haven't seen anything not already discussed here. Given that the merger with AA won't happen till August/September I'd think October would be safe for *A travel. If you're talking about US flights you'll have no problem.

Jim
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
Just out of curiosity, has there been any news on when US Airways will officially be leaving the Star Alliance? US Airways has some great fares in mid-October I was looking at; but if they leave the alliance before then it may keep me from hitting my status threshold. Thanks!
We are probably looking at some of the same fares! FWIW, I am probably going to do a run or two in Sept or Oct, some of it on UA metal. I highly doubt they'll be out of *A by then.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
This article is about a month old:

Once the merger takes place, integration will begin to occur across the two airlines but the pace of the integration will vary based by area and department. Code-sharing between the two will begin almost immediately but it will take between three to six months for US Airways to move from Star Alliance to oneworld, the alliance to which American currently belongs.
http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....eam-mid-month/

So October seems pretty safe.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Gold, Hilton, Choice & Best Western Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Normally I HATE government interference and meddling in private sector affairs but I am holding out hope the DOJ blocks this merger in the 11th hour last ditch effort in the form of an Anti-Trust lawsuit that was filed because for the love of God I do not want lose Star Alliance for the crappiest alliance in the world...One World!
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by ADSmithNRA
Normally I HATE government interference and meddling in private sector affairs but I am holding out hope the DOJ blocks this merger in the 11th hour last ditch effort in the form of an Anti-Trust lawsuit that was filed because for the love of God I do not want lose Star Alliance for the crappiest alliance in the world...One World!
That's the only negative in this for me. *A is the best for the places I want to go. However, I will love burning BA Avios on short hauls out of PWM to DCA/PHL instead of paying $3-400 for them.

If you do a lot of short haul flying, now is the time for you to come up with a strategy to stockpile Amex MR points. Their distance based award chart is great for short hauls, and they have access to pretty much all AA Saver award inventory online.

I realize it's off topic to this thread, but one example is that I just redeemed 38k MR for 50k Avios (recent Amex bonus) and booked two one-way in J on EI BOS-DUB for New Years. I haven't booked the return yet because I think we might try to return from Italy.

Being able to redeem like that on the combined US/AA network will be a plus for me.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
US fliers: show me the silver lining

Generally, when you compare two airlines, as a consumer, there are some things better on one, some better on the other. When there's a merger, the combined airline will adopt the policy of one or the other, or perhaps choose a middle ground.

But looking at the differences between AA and US, as I see it, it's very one sided. In almost every case, I think, the AA policy is better for me.

In terms of my perspective, I'm a longtime AA hub captive, with lifetime Gold status. My flights are mostly domestic mid-cons.

Consider:
  • Checked bags: As a 25K level elite, AA gives 2 free bags. US only gives 1. Advantage: AA
  • Upgrades: All US elites get free domestic upgrades. AA requires 500 mile upgrades; you earn enough to upgrade 20%, and have to purchase others. This seems to favor US, but lots of chatter on the AA board speculates that means 50K elites will get more upgrades, leaving 25K elites in the back. Advantage: ?
  • F service: AA serves food in the front on most flights over 2 hours. US has a 3.5 hour threshold. Advantage: AA
  • Same day changes: AA offers same day changes to flights on the same calendar day, earlier or later, a 24 hour window. They are confirmable for $75, or elites can standby for free. US: No fee for elites to confirm the change, but limited to 6 hours prior, not allowed for later, and you can't change the number of stops. Advantage: AA
  • Award ticket changes: AA allows free changes to date and time for award tickets, if there is availability at the same award level. US, it's $150. Advantage: AA
  • Award booking fee: Free on AA if booked online. $25 on US. Advantage: AA
  • Award expedite fee: Waived on AA for all elites. $75 on US, not waived for Silver. Advantage: AA
  • 1-way awards: AA offers 1 way awards at half the cost of round trip. US doesn't. Advantage: AA

( Sadly, two cases where US does have the advantage, we already know the AA way will survive. Star seems to be a better alliance than OneWorld. And I think the Barclay's US card offers better benefits than the Citi AA card. But post-merger, we'll have OneWorld and Citi. )

So, US Experts, what am I missing? What might I have to look forward to? What US policies would be better for me than AA's, that I can root for to survive the merger?

Edit to add one more:
  • AA offers 24+ hour hold on most reservations. US requires me to ticket, then the hassle of refunding. Advantage: AA

Last edited by swag; Jul 7, 2013 at 7:07 am
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by swag
So, US Experts, what am I missing? What might I have to look forward to? What US policies would be better for me than AA's, that I can root for to survive the merger?
Another AA Advantage (is that an AAA?) would be bonus miles for elite levels. 50K AA gets 100% bonus; 50K US gets 50% bonus. At the 25K level on both AA & US, its 25% bonus.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
You are citing the advantages at the 25K mile level. I haven't done the analysis but I wonder how the 100K level shakes out. There are alot of CP benefits on US.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by apeortdz
You are citing the advantages at the 25K mile level. I haven't done the analysis but I wonder how the 100K level shakes out. There are alot of CP benefits on US.
AA EXPs get:

8 SWUs. Good anywhere on any fare and valid routing. Transferable to anyone you choose.
Access to FC lounges (where they exist) on international travel. As well as the normal lounges.
Free unlimited upgrades in NA. One companion is also upgradable, but not for free.
No telephone or agent ticketing charges.
Free award redeposit/reissuance.
Free BOB choice and one alcohol drink if seated in Y, even if on a 50-seater commuter jet.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:22 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation Hold Your Horses...

Originally Posted by ADSmithNRA
because for the love of God I do not want lose Star Alliance for the crappiest alliance in the world...One World!
If you think 1W is the "crappiest alliance in the world" the you NEVER have tried to pull a reward ticket on Sky Team (aka Sky Scream)!!!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
If you think 1W is the "crappiest alliance in the world" the you NEVER have tried to pull a reward ticket on Sky Team (aka Sky Scream)!!!
There's a reason DL Skymiles have no expiration date. You can't use them to begin with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.