Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Emotional Support Animal" on my flight flies for free. Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
Originally Posted by ITRADE
My wife worked at the Crystal Palace when this incident transpired.

Many lulz were exchanged amongst our circle of friends in the wake of this.

I actually think this article did the event more justice:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...d=2000_3253043

- "Mostly, everyone made jokes about what we were having for lunch - like BLT sandwiches," said the source.

- Squealing loudly, it madly ran loose through the aircraft and tried to enter the cockpit. It finally found refuge in the food galley, where it refused to budge.

- "It didn't smell, it was a clean pig," said a witness on board the flight. "It slept almost the whole time, like a pig in a blanket."
Definitely cried from laughing while reading that article.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Granitebox
There are emotional support dogs being flown to Newtown, CT this week and we can only hope US Airways is supporting folks efforts to offer assistance.
A few weeks back ran into a customer service supervisor who transports service dogs in training around the country, space available, in his "spare" time. Was headed from the west coast to Canada, met him and the pup in the CLT lounge.

So yes, US does things like that behind the scenes that they don't brag on, they just do.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
A few weeks back ran into a customer service supervisor who transports service dogs in training around the country, space available, in his "spare" time. Was headed from the west coast to Canada, met him and the pup in the CLT lounge.

So yes, US does things like that behind the scenes that they don't brag on, they just do.
The program is called Puppies In Flight, it's a wonderful program that I'm proud to be a part of. This program allows employees to use flight benefits, in their spare time, to train service dogs about air travel while transporting them on a flight(s). In addition, employees volunteer to transport dogs to either be paired with their new companion or to be delivered to the individual who will raise them to become a service dog.

It's a very competitive program, when a transport is posted, about a hundred employees sign up for it and then it is randomly assigned to one lucky individual. I can tell you when I'm lucky enough to get a transport, it is a very rewarding job.

In 2012, to date, this program has had 306 volunteers participate in 184 transports. :-)

Last edited by awaflyboy; Dec 19, 2012 at 10:44 am
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:58 pm

As a medical professional I can tell you that there are virtually no prospective data supporting the utility or efficacy of emotional support animals. While there may be anecdotal evidence, this does not constitute proof.

Until there is an evidence-based recommendation on this topic from consensus-forming organizations such as the APA, there is no role to have these animals on airplanes or to allow them a privileged place in public.

Last edited by phisher4; Jun 7, 2013 at 9:38 pm
Old Dec 19, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Interesting I was on this flight in the spring and saw my 1st comfort dog.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Read about my experience with a "service" animal on United a few years ago! See HERE
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:52 am
GAC
Suspended

Of course it's a joke but welcome to modern life where all are victims and even those who can put down a fork are considered poor victims of mental disorder.

Only thing I really find surprising is that there is no law where the person flys for free too.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Slightly OT, but College Residence Halls now must accommodate "Emotional Support Animals" by allowing dogs to live in the dorms.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2013/05/16/...dogs-hud-says/
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: Gold US Air, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Was on a flight from Cincy to Philly two weeks ago and encountered my first one. An extremely large pit bull which was the emotional support dog. The man was a very muscular man who was quite large and his dog was easily the biggest pit bull I have ever seen. He was in the bulkhead seat and there simply was no room for him but the flight was 100% full. The lady next to him had to agree to letting the dog lay on her feet (not joking).

I was shocked. I heard him mention that security personnel were afraid of his dog during screening.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
The only time I saw a comfort dog, it was in the passengers lap the entire way from LAX to PHL. I guess I just expected them to all be like this, dog was better behaved than most passengers.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Audiologist here- I have a patient who has very severe hearing loss and got a bichon - but it's a pet. However she registered it as a service/ emotional dog so she could bring it to hotels and on planes. I truly have no issue with a true service animal... But I have to agree, like my patient people are really taking advantage of the rule ..... For every true one, I bet there are 9 frauds. I guess it's human nature...
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nlkm9
However she registered it as a service/ emotional dog so she could bring it to hotels and on planes.
See - the thing is... There is no "registration" for service animals. As been posted several times, all you have to do is say you need the animal for coping/emotional support, and use other key phrases that indicate its not simply a pet.

There probably should be some criteria for licensing of service animals, but with the ADA, people are afraid to say anything that might be in contrast with the ADA. I doubt you'd see our legislature pass bills outlining a licensing or registration. It would be seen as "bullying" the disabled.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:11 pm

yes--correct--it seems to me though that she had to go thru a process to get the special harness that she puts on the dog.....then of course i see a lot of hearing dogs--they are very cool
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nlkm9
yes--correct--it seems to me though that she had to go thru a process to get the special harness that she puts on the dog.....then of course i see a lot of hearing dogs--they are very cool
Yes, but emotional support animals need not be specially trained, registered or wear any identifying vest or harness. If an emotionally or mentally disabled individual convinces their mental health professional that their mental health would benefit from traveling with their pet, err, "emotional support animal," then all they need is such a letter from the doc. And with that, no longer need the animal be caged and kept under the seat nor need the patient pay the in-cabin pet fee. Their dog or cat or duck or other emotional support animal can sit on their lap.

I'm just thankful that I don't suffer from a qualifying mental or emotional disability that would permit me to bring my dog or cat onboard for free.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:16 pm

That is got to be why all of a sudden I am seeing so many more animals at airports- and in hotels. I am seriously allergic to cats, to the point where I will not go to anyone's home who has one...wonder what my rights are if the passenger next to me has a cat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.