Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving traffic through DCA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Driving traffic through DCA?

Looking at fares for December trip south. My normal ABE-TPA trip is running 395 through PHL or CLT. (more than double last year) I have months to play the game, so no, thank you - BUT:

The website is showing $204 nearly every day to fly ABE-PHL-DCA-TPA.

So: Are they really trying to push traffic through DCA, or is this just a game to get shown higher on kayak, etc. The "sane" double connect/segment runs (ABE-PHL-CLT-TPA) are in the 500's, and I have no desire to do Dash-8-CR2-real aircraft.

Anyone from other Northeastern small airports seeing these shenanigans?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Why not? Dash 8 is real flying???
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The slot swap with Delta - Delta's DCA slots to US for US' slots at LGA - led to a big expansion of flying by US at DCA. Perhaps they're having difficulty filling those flights. Differentials in pricing is one way to get passengers to prefer one routing over another.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The slot swap with Delta - Delta's DCA slots to US for US' slots at LGA - led to a big expansion of flying by US at DCA. Perhaps they're having difficulty filling those flights. Differentials in pricing is one way to get passengers to prefer one routing over another.
For travel in December, it also means that US has a lot less than 330 days to fill the seats. New routes always temporarily mean new low bucket availability. It doesn't mean that the same will be true a year out. Depending upon OPs specific travel dates he may be competing for seats PHL-TPA with people who purchased tickets many months ago.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware
For travel in December, it also means that US has a lot less than 330 days to fill the seats. New routes always temporarily mean new low bucket availability. It doesn't mean that the same will be true a year out. Depending upon OPs specific travel dates he may be competing for seats PHL-TPA with people who purchased tickets many months ago.
It just means that there are alot of seats available on the flights involving DCA. I don't think they would be deliberately "pushing" a double connection through DCA...just doesn't make much sense.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
It just means that there are alot of seats available on the flights involving DCA. I don't think they would be deliberately "pushing" a double connection through DCA...just doesn't make much sense.
Exactly what I said.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
I don't know.... I saw some strange connections when searching a flight to Dublin. If I booked AGS-CLT-LGA-PHL-DUB (and the reverse) the fare was almost $200 lower than AGS-CLT-PHL-DUB.

I thought that was odd as well.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Temporarily. I've been watching DCA-SAN. Holy crap, those flights are full!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by miffSC
I don't know.... I saw some strange connections when searching a flight to Dublin. If I booked AGS-CLT-LGA-PHL-DUB (and the reverse) the fare was almost $200 lower than AGS-CLT-PHL-DUB.

In this case it likely means that the cost of buying two separate tickets AGS-LGA and LGA-DUB is cheaper than a single AGS-DUB, so the website is combining those two fares into one ticket when it is pricing that itinerary. Could be what's happening to the OP as well.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by miffSC

There was a thread in the mileage run forum about deals BOS/LGA/EWR to DUB. As cedric notes, you're probably getting the lower rate through LGA, taking advantage of US matching UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.