Wiki Posts
Search

PHL to IAD via SFO - US does not make sense

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:20 am
Original Poster

PHL to IAD via SFO - US does not make sense

So here is the issue.

I have purchased a RT Ticket from SFO to IAD along with two $99 companion tix for my kids using the Barclays Charge Certificate. My SO is traveling the same route with my son using a combination of vouchers and cash.

Now I had a last minute trip for work from SFO to PHL. I am trying to not have to travel back to SFO to only turn around and travel to IAD with my kids, but USAir will not allow me to change my initial reservation as it includes my companion certs.

I get it from a process issue but it does not make sense. USAir gets the money (I am not looking for any refunds), the kids would not be unaccompanied (as they would travel with my SO), and US gets an extra seat to sell.

Any ideas how to make this happen?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
You're getting a major discount with that companion cert. So, expect major restrictions.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ITRADE
You're getting a major discount with that companion cert. So, expect major restrictions.
Fair enough. But it still doesn't make rational sense. I am not asking them to carry unaccompanied minor, I am not asking them to give up revenue....

Anyway, I leave PHL tonight and arrive at SFO around midnight, and tomorrow morning will head back to IAD.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:21 pm

Just write it off as a "great" Mileage Run.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Originally Posted by perseus11
+1 !
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:55 pm

I know it doesn't seem rational in the short term, but they're looking at the long-term behavior of their customers.

If their restricted tickets aren't actually restricted, then no one will book the flexible tickets. Same reason they restrict changing to an earlier flight (move up), even if that flight isn't going out full.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11
When I read this title, I thought the OP had found a PHL-IAD fare which permitted routing via SFO. That could have been a real MR find.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.