Why are US mileage redemptions so terribly customer unfriendly?

Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Why are US mileage redemptions so terribly customer unfriendly?

I love being on hold to try and book a multicity trip while the automated message tells me to use USAirways.com next time.

I finally had an itinerary I thought would finally use up my miles. SEA - EWN (20k), EWN - PVD (12.5k). That's multicity, right?

No, sorry, that's two one ways.

Why does US care?

I thought about flying back PVD-SEA, but the cheap and great BOS-SEA nonstops lure me away.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
If I thought that all of the hanging points and kludges in the US system were devilishly engineered to some maximum effect, I could, with grudging admiration, give them credit.

But, since for every inconsistency and seemingly pointless annoyance, there is also some other (seeming) inefficiency in the system that gives me access to something I value at something like a sub-market price, my sense is that:

It's a big, complex system with capital problems, cash flow problems, labor problems, and management problems -- hence lots of "kinks," annoyances, and inefficiencies. In that sense, it is wonderful that it gets me (and others) to as many places as it does, safely, and usually on time (although I still wouldn't dream of actually checking a bag on it )
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by StrandedinLA:18740628
I finally had an itinerary I thought would finally use up my miles. SEA - EWN (20k), EWN - PVD (12.5k). That's multicity, right?

No, sorry, that's two one ways.
It's not two one ways, it's an OJ!! You can call and book it for 32.5K miles!!

US airways does not have one way awards!! I'm thankful that they are really flexible with OJs, otherwise your ticket would cost 62.5K miles..
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
It's not two one ways, it's an OJ!! You can call and book it for 32.5K miles!!

US airways does not have one way awards!! I'm thankful that they are really flexible with OJs, otherwise your ticket would cost 62.5K miles..
This is not an open jaw. The space between your open jaw segment cannot be more than either of the two flights. SEA-PVD is far more than PVD-EWN

From http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...mberguide.html

The distance between the two open jaw cities cannot exceed the distance of the outbound or return trip.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Yet....if you go to US Airways and buy a multicity ticket, it will sell it this way.

My point is, why does this matter to US Airways?

I think I could have done SEA-EWN, BOS/PVD-SEA, but instead am flying SEA-RDU and dodging US this time.

Thanks for comments though!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
[QUOTE=javacodeguy:18746333]

This is not an open jaw. The space between your open jaw segment cannot be more than either of the two flights. SEA-PVD is far more than PVD-EWN

From http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...mberguide.html

The distance between the two open jaw cities cannot exceed the distance of the outbound or return trip.
^ Good point!! My bad; didn't check the distances!!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I couldn't agree less with your title for this thread. See my signature...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I couldn't agree less with your title for this thread. See my signature...
Me too.

Anyone wasting miles on domestic flights is generally less than happy by definition.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive, AmericanAdvantage Gold
At least you can use your miles. On Delta it is almost impossible!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWATWA
At least you can use your miles. On Delta it is almost impossible!
...except I couldn't

I have a 17 month old. I don't fly international unless Hawaii counts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.