Search

Advice - Missed Upgrade due to US Airways error

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold/US Air Gold/GHA Black
Advice - Missed Upgrade due to US Airways error

Background: Chairman's Preferred flying roundtrip from PHL to SFO on US Air

On the way to SFO, we are told that the return flight has 5 open seats that are not sold. We are advised that we should split the ticket (I am Delta Platinum and dirt on US Air, she is CP on US air) to maximize our chances of getting upgraded on way back (her chances of getting upgraded). So we split the ticket with the thought that I would sit in coach, she would almost certainly get an upgrade.

On the way back (tomorrow) we didn't get upgraded still so I called the US CP number. We are told that when they had split our tickets, the crew in Philly mistakenly put someone else's dividend miles number on her account so she didn't get put on the upgrade list. Now, all the seats in first are gone. No other flights left in the day for first class.

The way I see it, we missed out on a potential first class upgrade (for a 6 hour flight) because of an error by US Air. Should there be some expected compensation? I realize that this is a complimentary upgrade but the expectation is that if you fly US Air or any airline enough to qualify for certain perks, those perks should be expected? Perhaps I'm just a little frustrated.

Options:
1) Fly Delta next time. Hope they don't screw things up
2) Just shut up and buy first class.
3) Write to US Airways and document our frustration with the situation and ask for Mileage credit to use on a future upgrade.
4) Just ignore it and write it up to normal business practices at US Air
Old May 22, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
You could write a note, but I doubt that you'd receive anything other than an apology for the error.

Now that the correct number is on the reservation she should be on the upgrade list--I've seen enough seats open up due to mis-connects, no-shows, move-ups, etc.

Even if the correct DM miles number were on the reservation it does not necessarily mean that the upgrade would have come through. The SFO-PHL or CLT flights are often full of high status flyers. As a CP I only got upgraded once (25% last year) on those flights. When boarding for my last flight, the zone 1 boarding had to have been 40+ people (and that was after all of first boarded).

Hopefully now that her number is on there correctly a seat opens up.
Old May 22, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
It was a "potential" upgrade so you don't know you would have gotten it. mistakes happen, I don't think there should be compensation.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
It's also possible they've sold those F seats.

I've seen several flights with F filled almost completely with paid F. In fact, I remember grabbing the last one on a paid F ticket weeks in advance.

I'd think PHL-SFO would have a good bit of paid F traffic. Transcons on most airlines can be hard to upgrade, especially to LAX and SFO where there can be paid C/F traffic departing on *A international flights.

It sucks, and I've had it happen to me, but there's not a lot that can be done about it but enjoy the exit row seat.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Agree with all of above, which is to say I would be frustrated, too; but, as others have said, no way to know what would have happened. For PHL-SFO/LAX/PHX I grab an exit row seat and count myself lucky if an upgrade comes through.

Also, when I can (maybe OP couldn't), I double-check on-line to make sure various PNR splitting, upgrades, seat moves, and other over-the-phone voodoo actually went through. Mostly it does but as OP can attest sometimes it doesn't.
Old May 23, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Agree with all of above, which is to say I would be frustrated, too; but, as others have said, no way to know what would have happened. For PHL-SFO/LAX/PHX I grab an exit row seat and count myself lucky if an upgrade comes through.

Also, when I can (maybe OP couldn't), I double-check on-line to make sure various PNR splitting, upgrades, seat moves, and other over-the-phone voodoo actually went through. Mostly it does but as OP can attest sometimes it doesn't.
Rule of thumb: if you don't get the email at your upgrade window, call. It means something's screwed up. You may or may not get the upgrade, but you'll at least have a fighting chance rather than being SOL.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Stuff happens, life goes on, look forward not back.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Here is what I believe to be the key point. From the original post.

"the crew in Philly mistakenly put someone else's dividend miles number on her account so she didn't get put on the upgrade list. Now, all the seats in first are gone."

I have a simple rule I go by.

My mistake: I pay. Example being buying a non refundable ticket and not being able to fly. Exception being medical emergency.

Their mistake: Airline pays!

The real issue then becomes how much time & effort do you wish to put in over something that will at best get you a voucher for a nominal amount? Based on the OP, US dropped the ball. Also keep in mind that if you as a consumer had made a similar mistake you'd likely be looking at a change fee etc etc. Just food for thought on a slow Friday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.