Wiki Posts
Search

Did Sullenberger fly DC9-30 or 737's?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Did Sullenberger fly DC9-30 or 737's?

I know Sullenberger was over at USAirways for multiple years according to his bio, and I used to fly on USAirways.

Did he ever pilot DC9-30 or 737s with the airline? When I go on a flight I always look at the pilot and I kept wondering if he was ever a pilot I had.

Last edited by adamj023; Apr 2, 2012 at 1:04 am
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: None
I think he was with PSA prior to it's merger with US. When the west coast bases were phased out in the early 90's US was only flying the 767, a few 727's, 737's, MD-80's, DC-9's, and F100's, and F28's. He wouldn't have been senior enough at that time to fly the 767 and probably too senior to fly the F100 or F28, so that leaves only 4 choices. I wouldn't be surprised that he flew the MD-80 or 737-300/400 - the MD-80's were from PSA but US moved them east after the US/PSA merger and replaced them with the 737 Classics.

Of course, there was enough time between the PSA/US merger and the arrival of the Airbuses for him to have flown multiple types. At the end he was bidding equipment for quality of life since he still commuted from the west coast, and I assume he did the same after he was forced to commute to the eastern bases.

Jim
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I think he was with PSA prior to it's merger with US. When the west coast bases were phased out in the early 90's US was only flying the 767, a few 727's, 737's, MD-80's, DC-9's, and F100's, and F28's. He wouldn't have been senior enough at that time to fly the 767 and probably too senior to fly the F100 or F28, so that leaves only 4 choices. I wouldn't be surprised that he flew the MD-80 or 737-300/400 - the MD-80's were from PSA but US moved them east after the US/PSA merger and replaced them with the 737 Classics.

Of course, there was enough time between the PSA/US merger and the arrival of the Airbuses for him to have flown multiple types. At the end he was bidding equipment for quality of life since he still commuted from the west coast, and I assume he did the same after he was forced to commute to the eastern bases.

Jim
USAirways used to get knocked around a lot as being rated bad in customer service, but you always had superb pilots,

While Sullenberger had more experience and seniority than Skiles (Air Force training and the like) Skiles is an extremely well likeable pilot as well. Saw a few videos of them on youtube, one of them they were in a DC7 together learning the plane.

So it just brought up some questions.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
AS Jim noted, Sullenberger was part of the PSA team, he flew 727s and MD-80s for PSA, I would assume he would have stuck to the same aircraft flying on the west coast until US pulled out of the West coast market (flying intra Calif, Or, WA, AZ and NV flights) then transitioned over to the US aircraft later on.

Originally Posted by adamj023
I know Sullenberger was over at USAirways for multiple years according to his bio, and I used to fly on USAirways.

Did he ever pilot DC9-30 or 737s with the airline? When I go on a flight I always look at the pilot and I kept wondering if he was ever a pilot I had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.