how do i transer US miles to continental?

Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:21 am
Original Poster

how do i transer US miles to continental?

I've found that usair has no usable flights and i'd like to just transfer my points to continental if possible. Is there a way to do this?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: most of them
no. Once you earn in one program it is virtually impossible in most cases to move them to another one.

But, since both are *A you should be able to book flights in the alliance with either one's miles. What are you basing the statement that "usair has no usable flights" on? If you are just going by their webiste availability tool, then you may need to call them up to get flights, especially on partners.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:27 am

you can't transfer US to CO, but you can call US and book a partner reward on CO since they are both in the *A
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by glennaa11
since both are *A you should be able to book flights in the alliance with either one's miles
And indeed, there is a very useful thread on this very topic, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ad-merged.html. OP, read post #1 of that thread plus the last few pages; the whole thing is too long to read.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:15 am
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
use it on star alliance

I have been pretty lucky in using us air miles on Lufthansa they have lot of free seats per flight than many other airlines so call us air and use miles on star alliance partner
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Hope I'm not thread-jacking, but do non-elites pay the award processing fee on partner airline awards?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by RewardTraveler
Hope I'm not thread-jacking, but do non-elites pay the award processing fee on partner airline awards?
Yes, you need to use the call center...so there's a fee

Why would the OP even consider transferring miles to CO/UA from US. US offers the same availability and better redemption rates than CO/UA....some people just have no idea.......
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais

Why would the OP even consider transferring miles to CO/UA from US. US offers the same availability and better redemption rates than CO/UA....some people just have no idea.......
I'll cut the OP some slack on this one: we all find out the hard way that there's no way to book this on the US website and we need a physical human being (call center) to do it for us. As much as I love certain aspects of US (my 2012 upgrade rate, for example), their IT capabilities are quite primitive - even compared to other airlines which, in general, have pretty weak websites.

We Flyertalkers know the ANA trick and other ways to find potential *A uses for Dividend Miles, but I never knew any of that before I came here.

Unless you're a high elite, I don't think there is *any* way to book a partner award on US without fees. I'm hopeful that I'll use my US miles in 2013 for Asia, where at least the fees are offset by slightly better total mileage costs than most other *A carriers. Yeah, it's a racket...but transferring miles from one program to another is either impossible or kills off nearly all of your award value through the conversions.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:34 pm

Also, I believe US doesn't allow one way awards, while UA/CO does.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by Saas
you can't transfer US to CO, but you can call US and book a partner reward on CO since they are both in the *A
Actually you can on Points.com. I hav 15,000 CO miles that are probably going to expire soon and I looked into transferring to US... 5:1 exchange rate (my 15K would become 3K on US) and the fees are outrageous $250-$300 (for that I could do a transcon MR, get the same or more miles and they'd be preferred qualifying.)

To the OP... did you look into buying miles? I don't if UACO runs a similar promotion, but on US through the end of the month you get a 100% bonus if you pay with a US Airways credit card.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Perhaps somebody would like to redeem for a UA award at something other than saver levels due to limited availability/flexibility. Perhaps he finds a CO redemption otherwise not available with US miles (a non-Star carrier, among other options). There are lots of legitimate reasons.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: None
I'll tell you my story looking for availability for my wife's trip to Basel Switzerland - she's UA dirt level. US' web site didn't know Basel exists. UA site knew where it was but couldn't come up with routing. CO's site had low mileage availability on US, UA, CO, LH, and one or two others for the TA portion and LX, LH, and one or two others into Basel. With her not having status, we didn't want the potential nightmare of trying to get something booked through UA offshore res, but UA and CO miles can be moved between programs instantly for free so she moved the miles needed to a new CO account and booked on their site.

Jim
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Actually you can on Points.com. I hav 15,000 CO miles that are probably going to expire soon and I looked into transferring to US... 5:1 exchange rate (my 15K would become 3K on US) and the fees are outrageous $250-$300 (for that I could do a transcon MR, get the same or more miles and they'd be preferred qualifying.)
Go have a beer at an iDine restaurant. 15k UACO actually has decent value, thanks to the one-ways.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by thomwithanh

To the OP... did you look into buying miles? I don't if UACO runs a similar promotion, but on US through the end of the month you get a 100% bonus if you pay with a US Airways credit card.
I didn't think CO miles expired and once the two programs merge, won't you have an extra 18 months from the merge?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by pinniped
Go have a beer at an iDine restaurant. 15k UACO actually has decent value, thanks to the one-ways.
I actually renewed my subscription to the Economist... those miles should be good for another 3 years now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.