How does the "free club membership work"?

Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways Plat, Intercontinental Plat, SkyMiles Gold, Mileage Plus Gold
How does the "free club membership work"?

I turned 125K PQM last week.
I now see I can nominate someone to Gold and have a free US Airways Club Membership in Special Dividends.

Will I get a membership card in the mail or do I simply show my CP card?

I tend to fly 60% on partner airlines so it would be nice to use this perk if travelling on United/Continental domestically.

Are you able to use this membership with Star Partners?

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways Plat, Intercontinental Plat, SkyMiles Gold, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by shamun160
I turned 125K PQM last week.
I now see I can nominate someone to Gold and have a free US Airways Club Membership in Special Dividends.

Will I get a membership card in the mail or do I simply show my CP card?

I tend to fly 60% on partner airlines so it would be nice to use this perk if travelling on United/Continental domestically.

Are you able to use this membership with Star Partners?

Thanks!
To be more clear: Can I use this free USAirways Club membership to enter a United Club when traveling on United/Continental?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
I believe you have to specifically log into your DM account, and click on the link that says "Special Dividends" in the toolbox.

Click on that specific dividend in the list, and follow the directions to redeem.

And, yes, you can use your DM Club membership to get into UA/CO Clubs.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA PRO
On a side note, be absolutely positive to bring the small plastic club card with you when trying to enter partner lounges. The dragons are notoriously strict about "not being able to look up your membership" unless you are in your home club.
I have a UA club membership, and have been refused by US clubs several times by not having the physical card. I was once almost refused at a UA club, despite having the credit card that got my my club access in the first place. Once I didn't go away meekly after the first denial, the dragon magically could find my active membership in her computer by using my mileage plus number.

Moral of the story: save yourself the hassle and always carry the lounge card when traveling.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intub8r
On a side note, be absolutely positive to bring the small plastic club card with you when trying to enter partner lounges. The dragons are notoriously strict about "not being able to look up your membership" unless you are in your home club.
I have a UA club membership, and have been refused by US clubs several times by not having the physical card. I was once almost refused at a UA club, despite having the credit card that got my my club access in the first place. Once I didn't go away meekly after the first denial, the dragon magically could find my active membership in her computer by using my mileage plus number.

Moral of the story: save yourself the hassle and always carry the lounge card when traveling.
Great advice. I have most of my experience with the fiercest dragons of them all: Lufthansa. I made the mistake only once of not having my CP card with me when trying to enter a Senator Lounge.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Somewhat off topic, but I love the term "dragon" used above as well as "gate lice" and "kettles" seen elsewhere. Is there a place to find all of these terms (and others) on FT?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: US-G/*G, SPG-G, MR-G, Avis-F
Originally Posted by intub8r

And, your care better have the expiration date clearly printed on it. Without that, odds of entry are < 0.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:41 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Somewhat off topic, but I love the term "dragon" used above as well as "gate lice" and "kettles" seen elsewhere. Is there a place to find all of these terms (and others) on FT?
Not all inclusive, but a good start

http://www.flyertalk.com/glossary/
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:11 am

To redeem the club membership you simply go to the club and tell them that you reached the special dividend level for a club membership. They should be able to look up your level and process it accordingly. A club card is mailed a few weeks later that is no different than a normal club card.

To specifically answer your question, you will be allowed into United Clubs, but only after you receive your membership card to the US Airways Club.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.