US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)

Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Miles to DD Mall are "supposed" to take 4-6 weeks, but i never wait more than 3 for my miles to post.

Agreed on the rawhides/music downloads...another good one is overstock.com...you can get something dirt cheap with $1 shipping and pick up a few miles.

And then of course...there is the notorious FTD flower shop...SP is yours for $1250...(just kidding...i hope you don't do this)
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:32 pm

check into partners. Example if USairs and office max partner, then a minimal purchase at office max may save the miles!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA CO DL NW UA US
Originally Posted by vurban
check into partners. Example if USairs and office max partner, then a minimal purchase at office max may save the miles!
Just received my latest USAirways Dividend Miles email newsletter with offers to earn miles:

Special Holiday Offers

Shop with Biscoff and get 250 miles plus 2 miles per dollar spent

You've enjoyed Biscoff cookies on US Airways flights, now earn miles when you shop Gourmet Center for Biscoff cookies and holiday gifts. For the holidays, we've dressed our Biscoff cookies in festive wrappers! Earn 250 miles, and 2 miles per $1 spent on all Gourmet Center purchases. Plus, get an additional 250 miles on purchases totaling $75 or more.

Get up to 10 miles per dollar spent with the Dividend Miles Shopping Mall

The Dividend Miles Shopping Mall has something for everyone on your holiday gift list. The mall features over 70 brand-name merchants including PersonalizationMall.com, offering 10 miles per dollar spent on their personalized gifts including picture frames, ornaments, apparel and home dcor. Special offer valid through December 31, 2006.

Shop with FTD.com and get 20 miles per dollar spent

Earn 20 miles per dollar spent on all your holiday shopping with FTD.COM. As a special offer, earn an additional 250 bonus miles when you purchase the Mrs. Fields Holiday Snowflake Tin including three varieties of scrumptious cookies. Shop now and start earning miles at FTD.COM!

Earn 20 miles per dollar spent with Gift Sense.com Shop at GiftSense.com for all of your gift-giving needs this holiday and earn 20 miles per $1 spent! Treat yourself to an additional 250 bonus miles when you send the Holiday Popcorn Trio Gift to your friends and family. Start your holiday shopping today at GiftSense.com!

Shop with OfficeMax and get 5 miles per dollar spent and free shipping

Now through December 24, earn 5 miles per $1 spent and enjoy free delivery with no minimum purchase- think of it as our gift to you! And when you think gifts, think OfficeMax. We have gifts for everyone, from MP3 players, digital cameras and color printers to the latest computers and accessories. Shop today for everything you need to get your holiday shopping completed!

Get 5 miles for every dollar you spend at SkyMall

Tis the season for shopping at SkyMall. From the coolest electronics and gadgets to the latest in travel accessories, SkyMall has the perfect gift for everyone on your holiday shopping list. Earn 5 miles for every dollar you spend on merchandise. Offer valid through December 31, 2006.
I'm doing the same--saving miles! I also signed up for the dining Rewards Network for US Airways and just moved my most used credit card there from my usual Rewards Network account for favorite airline. This is a really fast way to save miles; have done it for my BA/DL accounts in past too. Make eating out pay!
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Browsing through the skymall to keep my 7-year-old's miles from expiring, I found iTunes at $0.99 or a pencil from OfficeMax at $0.99 with free shipping. My only concern is that my friends at the McAirline will stiff my on the 1 mile as it's only 99 cents. They've shown that they are good at truncating vs. rounding in the past.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: Skyteam/Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold Preferred
Originally Posted by CPRich
Browsing through the skymall to keep my 7-year-old's miles from expiring, I found iTunes at $0.99 or a pencil from OfficeMax at $0.99 with free shipping. My only concern is that my friends at the McAirline will stiff my on the 1 mile as it's only 99 cents. They've shown that they are good at truncating vs. rounding in the past.
if people are really this stingy/concerned about a FF that might never be used, why not buy a whole 2 pencils??
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by MuAT
if people are really this stingy/concerned about a FF that might never be used, why not buy a whole 2 pencils??
Did you know that the word "sarcasm" isn't in the dictionary?

Oh, wait, that's "gullible".
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Buy one song at iTunes through the mall-- Cost is $1, no shipping.
How fast will the miles post?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:42 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
create an account at points.com. Very simple process and you get 25 DM pts for the effort. I believe miles posted w/in a week.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by ackpfft
create an account at points.com. Very simple process and you get 25 DM pts for the effort. I believe miles posted w/in a week.
thank you! it's only 10DM when i signed up, but so long as some activity goes on there!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:13 pm

It took my iTunes miles about 3 weeks to post. I'm not sure if they count the activity date or the posting date for the promotion.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:19 am

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by gobucs007
thank you! it's only 10DM when i signed up, but so long as some activity goes on there!
I can confirm that it is only 10 now.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 2:43 pm

I got something in the mail from USAirways a couple of weeks ago about a family members account. It was showing that you could redeem miles for magazines to keep them from expiring. I seem to have misplaced the mailing, did anyone else get it? I can't find it on the website.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by ackpfft
I just did this for '10 miles' and says it will post within 7 business days.

Seems January 31st is a big cut off day for miles to expire... If the activity in the account is for January 30th but doesn't post till February 2nd, think that will be sufficient? I am doing a print screen of the current mileage in case I need it later

Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:13 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Another option, and one that has the added benefit of doing some good, is to donate miles to charity. You can donate as few as 1000 miles. If you're carrying a large balance, losing 1000 miles is no big deal and is certainly more palatable than spending $60 to buy 1,000 miles.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:10 pm

Smile Join Free for Dining Rewards

www.usairways.rewardsnetwork.com

Its free and easy

Next time you grab lunch or dinner or even just a drink check the listings for restaurants and bars.

You can earn miles and keep your account from expiring.

Originally Posted by manish
Hello

I have 15000 miles expiring at the end of this year, and I don't plan on flying US Air anytime soon -- just wanted advice on the best / fastest way to extend the expiration date (they said any activity would do it).

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.