Wiki Posts
Search

Buy-up question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Buy-up question

I am CP and my wife is GP. If I buy her up to CP today ($1299), will I get the upgrade certs immediately deposited in her account or will I have to wait until 01Mar? I see some flights to Europe that I might want to book now (with low first availability) but I want to make sure I can get the upgrade processed today. Thanks.

I called the CP desk for the answer and they said she would have to wait until after the 15Feb mailing but that does not sound correct to me.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Your best bet is to email the CP Desk (they reply promptly, as you know), so that you'd have something in writing before you plunk down the bucks. Hopefully the cert upgrade opportunity would still be there in a few days (but you can still check before you buy up)....

I know a buy-up in calendar year 2010 would get immediate "courtesy" certs deposited in your account, and logically it would be so up to the end of Feb 2011. However, it's a new calendar year, the computer may not be programmed to issue the certs until Mar 1, etc and I'd rather have guidance in writing in case things don't go right.

Best wishes.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Plat
Personally, I'd just give it a shot and see. I think the agent's reaction was a knee-jerk. I concur with Kudzu about the fact that it was immediate in the middle of a calendar year in the past. You can always re-work your travel after Mar 1 if the seats are gone. Alternatively if you're sitting on enough miles you could book it as an award, refund later and re-book as revenue.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
It worked instantly for me last year, and I suspect it might for you now. The CP dek last year told me it would not happen immediately too, but it did. I agree you won't know in advance...
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
So if I have 0 Dividend miles now and I pay the $3720 to upgrade to CP that's it? That works out to about 3 cents a mile. Am I seeing this right?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by PcolaPaul
So if I have 0 Dividend miles now and I pay the $3720 to upgrade to CP that's it? That works out to about 3 cents a mile. Am I seeing this right?
$3999, which includes the excise tax, and valid through Feb 2012. Yes, that's it.

Remember that you're buying status, and not Miles - you don't get the 100k Miles in your account.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kudzu
$3999, which includes the excise tax, and valid through Feb 2012. Yes, that's it.

Remember that you're buying status, and not Miles - you don't get the 100k Miles in your account.
I don't really care about the miles because I have a ton with United. The status is definately worth thinking about. Tempting. Thanks for the information!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: US PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PcolaPaul
As mentioned it is $3999 to buy up to CP from zero. However, if you can get yourself just one PQM that price drops to $2999 for those needing 75,000-99,999 miles to move up. But again you are not buying the miles just the status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.