Armrests

Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA GLD.
Armrests

As the years roll by, I get wider, so - do the aisle armrests raise on the following US products :-

A319
Dash 8-300
CRJ

Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: US CP; Marriott G
Yes. But it depend on where you sit. Majority do.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Your seatmate may want to keep those armrests down, though.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by bitburgr
Your seatmate may want to keep those armrests down, though.
He asked about the aisle seats.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: US C.P.
There arent any armrest on the aisle that lift up, are there??
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by itsme110
There arent any armrest on the aisle that lift up, are there??
Of course. The majority of them do. You just need to find the secret button on them. Most of the buttons are on the underside of the armrest. Some are near the hinge. Just look, they're all there somewhere (with limited exception).
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Of course. The majority of them do. You just need to find the secret button on them. Most of the buttons are on the underside of the armrest. Some are near the hinge. Just look, they're all there somewhere (with limited exception).
This is correct, however, I believe they must be down for takeoff/landing - but I'm just a GA, I'm sure one of our resident FA's on here could confirm this.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:16 pm

WOW........I learn something new on here every day. ive flown a couple of million miles in my life, and i never knew the aisle armrests lifted up. Im going to try it next week
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:40 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
This is correct, however, I believe they must be down for takeoff/landing - but I'm just a GA, I'm sure one of our resident FA's on here could confirm this.
Yes per FAR's they must be "locked" for Taxi, T/O and landing. On the Dash it is hit or miss if it will go up and some of the older CRJ's have ones that don't go up. But for the most part the do go up!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:08 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Umm. I didn't think armrests moved at all on the Dehaviland aircraft. There are some where they do? Specific models?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
Originally Posted by rpjepson
As the years roll by, I get wider, so - do the aisle armrests raise on the following US products :-

A319
Dash 8-300
CRJ

Thanks.
They do on most. But occasionally (rarely) I have been told by FA that "FAA requires them down....)

Exits rows are fixed
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:05 pm

US Airways 321 armrest

I am travelling with a large family group to Disneyworld on Monday. I reserved a seat for my paralyzed son back in October telling the agent that he can't stand to enter his seat and needs to transfer from the dreaded aisle chair to a seat that has a movable aisle armrest . We were given bulkhead seats. Yesterday I called to confirm and was told by the agent that the bulkhead armrests are fixed because they have trays in them. I sent an urgent email to US Airways and got a phone call back today insisting that the aisle armrest in the bulkhead seat is movable and that only the other armrests are not. The plane is booked solid. My son can't be lifted because lifting can wrench his back, as happened on a plane once before. We can't risk ruining his vacation. Does anyone have personal knowledge about the bulkhead aisle armrest? If it does move, where is the releaase button? Sometimes the flight attendants don't know.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by efc3011
Does anyone have personal knowledge about the bulkhead aisle armrest? If it does move, where is the releaase button? Sometimes the flight attendants don't know.
Hopefully one of the FAs will chime in, but it's my recollection that the bulkhead aisle seat has a solid armrest on both sides, which I believe makes it immovable, unless it's able to rotate out, which isn't something I've ever seen.

My advice would be to arrive early enough to plead with the gate agent. This is the sort of special need that often results in another passenger's seat assignment being re-assigned in order to accomodate. I hope it works out without too much hassle.

Edited:
Here's an (old) photo, which seems to confirm that the aisle armrest is solid at the bulkhead.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/US-Ai...626499f6fbed80

Last edited by DCAorBust; Dec 30, 2010 at 2:03 pm Reason: Add link w/ photo
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
The armrests are fixed. General SOP when we get a special needs pax at the gate that is in the bulkhead but needs or wants moveable armrests is that we put them in the row right behind the bulkhead and move the pax in that row into the bulkhead. Not sure if this helps or not.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:21 pm

I agree with DCAorBUST. It sounds like you have a major production happening, so I would get to the airport in real good time. When you check in, I would first talk to an agent about the aircraft. In my opinion, that will be the least of your problems. While I was checking in, I would ask for assistance to get your son through security. I was in a wheel chair after surgery several months ago, and although I could move, I was on crutches. TSA wouldnt allow the wheelchair to go through the screener and they wouldnt let me take my crutches through. So I had to hop through. Your son obvously cannot do that, but the TSA folks can be awfully demanding about the rules, and Ive noticed that they make many of them up as they go. Perhaps one of our airline employess could comment on the security issue, because I see TSA a lot more difficult to deal with than US airways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.