Grand Slam 2010!

Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by cybaslacka
Who's nice enough to start a list of lowest cost items to buy from partners? For example, a box of pens for 1.79 from office max w shipping approx 10 bucks.
I think you just did! But perhaps the OP would be kind enough to edit his first post to include them.

I've got 16 nailed down pretty painlessly. May have to get creative with the rest.

Mike
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Does anyone know if there are specific car rental locations which participate with Dividend Miles? I'm wondering if Australian locations would count since all of the promotions are usually for US locations only... Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by peachy3
Does anyone know if there are specific car rental locations which participate with Dividend Miles? I'm wondering if Australian locations would count since all of the promotions are usually for US locations only... Thanks a lot!
Not sure about internationally but domestically in the US it's almost always airport locations only that earn miles.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:54 pm

Aghh....just renewed my club membership today.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Not sure about internationally but domestically in the US it's almost always airport locations only that earn miles.
Not sure if you're saying the places that are typically at the airports or just the places that are actually at the airports... but at least with Hertz I've always gotten US miles both when I do airport rentals and non-airport rentals (which I used to do a lot of).
Old Aug 26, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, USair, United, Amex MR, ICHC, HHonors Silver
i'm a bit unclear on a couple things. to get a hit for a car rental you need to do a promotion like 1500 bonus miles for a 3 day rental? or could you just do a regular one day rental and it counts as a hit? also, hotel stays are the same, you need to do a particular bonus plan to get the hit? or any single stay will give you a hit? in terms of the wine club that everyone seems to have had issues with... you need to join one of the clubs for a hit, you can't just order something from their website?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by metallim
i'm a bit unclear on a couple things. to get a hit for a car rental you need to do a promotion like 1500 bonus miles for a 3 day rental? or could you just do a regular one day rental and it counts as a hit? also, hotel stays are the same, you need to do a particular bonus plan to get the hit? or any single stay will give you a hit? in terms of the wine club that everyone seems to have had issues with... you need to join one of the clubs for a hit, you can't just order something from their website?
Any miles earning activity from the partner suffices (the only caveat being a SPG "stay" requires 100 miles minimum since there's a way to get less just by ordering a beer and not staying there). A typical car rental or a typical hotel stay that earns miles is fine.

The wine clubs - I joined one last year. $10, got some cheap wine, canceled membership. Had to keep begging for miles but they finally showed.

The other wine club - many of us bought a cheap product from the website without joining the club. It said X miles per $1 and didn't say club membership required. However, we had to fight to get those miles since the club didn't want to award miles since we hadn't joined.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Mileage Plus had a special with a wine club, 400 miles per $1 spent. I racked up over 400K miles and all posted without a problem. I'm hoping for that one to come back. Many Doctors I work with wanted wine for family and friends..

Any miles earning activity from the partner suffices (the only caveat being a SPG "stay" requires 100 miles minimum since there's a way to get less just by ordering a beer and not staying there). A typical car rental or a typical hotel stay that earns miles is fine.

The wine clubs - I joined one last year. $10, got some cheap wine, canceled membership. Had to keep begging for miles but they finally showed.

The other wine club - many of us bought a cheap product from the website without joining the club. It said X miles per $1 and didn't say club membership required. However, we had to fight to get those miles since the club didn't want to award miles since we hadn't joined.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ClubCarlson Concierge
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Mileage Plus had a special with a wine club, 400 miles per $1 spent. I racked up over 400K miles and all posted without a problem. I'm hoping for that one to come back. Many Doctors I work with wanted wine for family and friends..
400 miles per $1 spent?! Wow, not there's a promo that would make me buy some wine. I thought the TIB promos that gave over 100 miles per $ were lucrative, but 400 miles per $ blows the TIB promos away.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:53 pm

I tried to make a list of all the transfer options. Only the minimum amounts are included.
Code:
Accor A-club
4,000 points for 2,000 miles

Best Western Rewards
5,000 points for 1,000 miles
Earn 10 points per dollar spent on BW

Choice Privileges
5,000 points for 1,000 miles

Hilton HHonors
10,000 points for 850 miles
buy 10,000 points for $100 (?)

Hyatt Gold Passport
5,000 points for 2,000 miles

IHG Priority Club
10,000 points for 2,000 miles
buy 10,000 points for $125

Marriott Rewards
10,000 points for 2,000 miles
buy 10,000 points for $125

Radisson Goldpoints Plus
2,000 points for 250 miles
(online bookings earn 2,000 points?)

SPG
2,500 points min for non-elites
1,500 points min for gold
No min for plat

Wyndham Rewards
8,000 points for 3,200 miles
It seems that using transfers to earn GS10 points is not going to be cheap unless you already have the hotel points. Of course I'd love to hear your feedback.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Definitely doing DM Wireless - US took care of the lack of posting issue nicely and swiftly last November so I suspect they'll do so again if there are troubles. But skipping the wine clubs as they were equally a hassle since many of us bought the silly booklet and didn't join one of the actual clubs. It's the SPG loophole I am crying over! I want to make 28 hits for 60K but may lower my sights and aim for 24 hits. That's still workable and 40K isn't so bad. I can then do 20 or 24 on my wife's account. I'm leaving for Spain on the 1st too and won't be back home until the 20th so I need to hold off on any product purchases that need to be shipped too. That's bugging me!
Well maybe it's worth the chance then, the cheapest thing I can see is the screen wipes. Is that what you got before? They screwed up my order last time and cancelled it because I made a typo on the order for my address and then blocked my credit card for security reasons but I have new credit cards now.

Yeah I know, I am upset about the SPG thing too, I could have gotten to 28 hits fairly easy then. If I could get my account to 60km then that's the 2012 trip BNE RAR in J covered so then we start working on the 2014 trip to Europe for both accounts.

Just send the stuff to your office or a friend, no one will knick the screen wipes, pens and earbuds out of your mailbox!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by metallim
Check out Sixt, they have a co-branded logo on the link from US and seem to have a lot of locations in Europe. http://partner.sixt.de/php/res?view=...anguage=en&L=1

I would assume they post easily to US and they have some good deals on advance paid cars in some places.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:58 am

I just noticed that Burghs made a nice shopping list in the first post, great job! Thanks Burghs! There's a couple other ones-for the shopping mall, you can also plant a tree in the rainforest at Gaiam for $1, I usually give $5 because I like rainforests--if you don't want iTunes. Netflix is $8.99 one month but you can't use the same address or credit card you used for another account.

You may also be able to get smaller amounts on hotels if you are staying there on points or Priceline, you should still get miles for incidentals. This worked for me last year on a Priceline stay at Marriott, we had breakfast and I got a hit. You need to select DM Miles as currency of choice in the hotel program.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
No mention of Club Bing anywhere....I'm still going to give that a shot though.

I'm very excited about this. This should help with my F trip to India in 2012
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
400 miles per $? Wow! When was this promotion?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.