Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance upgrade awards using US miles (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Right, but the tally of how many miles you will get is the extras you are buying plus the ones you'd be getting anyway. Or at least it was last time I booked on usairways.com; they may have changed it when they put it up as a full-time feature.

Just making up numbers here as an example:

My flight mileage 2000 miles
My CP bonus 2000 miles
(so I'm getting 4000 miles already)
Doubling for $100 is another 4000 miles

But the website says "Total Miles Earned (or something like that) 8000 miles" next to the price, which, if you're not paying attention, can look like you're paying $100 for 8000 miles, not $100 for 4000 miles.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
DMM = Dividend Miles Multiplier. For a fee, you can double or triple the number of miles you get for a flight.

Jim
Thanks Jim - I knew it looked familiar, just didn't come up in a search here.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Just making up numbers here as an example:

My flight mileage 2000 miles
My CP bonus 2000 miles
(so I'm getting 4000 miles already)
Doubling for $100 is another 4000 miles

But the website says "Total Miles Earned (or something like that) 8000 miles" next to the price, which, if you're not paying attention, can look like you're paying $100 for 8000 miles, not $100 for 4000 miles.
Not sure it was ever that misleading. For me, It has always initially "4000" miles on the far right column. When selecting the 2x checkbox it then shows "8000" - so it's a visible difference. If you didn't notice the total was changing when you checked or unchecked the 2x/3x boxes then I can see where obvious confusion comes about and how it looks like you'r paying a fee for 8000 or 12000 when it's really a fee for 4000 or 8000 additional, respectively.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:41 am

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
At 2.1 cents per mile for 9000 miles or less, that's approximately the same as buying miles at the current promotion (buy miles promo). But if you're talking about 10,000 miles or more (or would consider paying to get 10,000 or more), it's cheaper to use the buy miles option.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
From the weekly employee newsletter:

Star Alliance upgrade awards, coming later this year, will allow DM members to upgrade their itineraries on Star partners using their miles.

That was all that was mentioned.
It is now well into "later" this year....any word on Star Alliance upgrade awards?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:26 am

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
Bump

Anyone have any news on this..??
Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: US CP, HH DIA, IC AMB
upgrade awards

On the ANA website it was announced 12/14/10 upgrade awards with US Airways with the mileage charts.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:06 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
As expected, it's the standard *A upgrade program. Must be full fare Y, B, C or D. And requests are 2 segments at a time max.

On the Use Miles section. North America-Europe/South America/North Asia: Y-C is 30K, C-F is 50K. North America-S & Central Asia/Middle East/South Pacific/Africa: Y-C 40K, C-F 60K

US Airways Star Alliance Upgrades
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
Wow. Awesome!

Given that CO has had reasonable B fares, and US sometimes has them too, I might buy B fares on US, and attempt to use UA miles to upgrade, or use US miles to upgrade CO.

A perk only some will ever use, but still awesome to see it exist, especially considering how many years we've heard it would be coming ...
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:32 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Great to see this implemented! I'm a bit disappointed to see the mileage levels are quite high, I was expecting to see more favorable levels compared to their award cost.

Upgrade C to F RT is as much as the full F trip Europe to to N Asia.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by dre_techie
Great to see this implemented! I'm a bit disappointed to see the mileage levels are quite high, I was expecting to see more favorable levels compared to their award cost.

Upgrade C to F RT is as much as the full F trip Europe to to N Asia.
Perhaps a hint at future devaluation of *A awards...I hope not.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Seems as if you can "pool" miles to sponsor upgrades:

https://shopping.usairways.com/upgrade/default.aspx
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by geo1005
Seems as if you can "pool" miles to sponsor upgrades:

https://shopping.usairways.com/upgrade/default.aspx
Oooo, I like that! I'm always looking to get some value from the kids FF accounts, other than continuing to bank 5K-10K per year, and this may be a way to get something worthwhile out of them.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:04 am

Well, I tried to use this for upgrade on ANA for trip to Tokyo next month (business to first), no luck, after completing info on first page and submitting, I received an error message saying that their were connection problems and I should try later.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by zeke320
Well, I tried to use this for upgrade on ANA for trip to Tokyo next month (business to first), no luck, after completing info on first page and submitting, I received an error message saying that their were connection problems and I should try later.
Recommend you call US, and try that.

Anyway, I've been playing with the tool, and I'm quite surprised US actually implemented a web interface for this which works (it was able to tell me that my reservation was not in a valid fare class which is true); will probably try an upgrade on a CO or AC B fare soonish, both carriers have reasonable B fares.

EDIT: Wow, it lists AC! Nicely done US IT, as you've beaten quite a few carriers to list them as part of the upgrade program.

SON OF EDIT: Hrm, it doesn't seem to list fares that other carriers allow upgrades (ANA allows E fares to be upgraded). Wondering if thats an oversight in the T&C ...

Last edited by NCommander; Dec 15, 2010 at 11:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.