FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   A330-200 Routing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1096831-a330-200-routing.html)

ig744 Jun 17, 2010 11:46 pm

A330-200 Routing

If I'm correct, there are currently 7 in the fleet. I can't determine the current routing for the 7th a/c. I just went through the entire trans-atlantic schedule on USAirways.com to no avail. Will someone please help? Thanks!

PHL-LHR
PHL-CDG
PHL-MUC
PHL-TLV
TLV-PHL
CLT-CDG

BoeingBoy Jun 18, 2010 2:06 am

Possibly a spare.

Jim

uva185 Jun 18, 2010 5:58 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.699 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Its running PHL-SJU until 10/2, where it switches to 333.

ig744 Jun 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by uva185 (Post 14154375)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.699 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Its running PHL-SJU until 10/2, where it switches to 333.

Thanks. However, I believe the PHL-SJU turn is done with the a/c that arrives PHL @ 530 from TLV. If that's the case, then there's still 1 a/c unaccounted for unless it's a spare.

fly747first Jun 18, 2010 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by ig744 (Post 14153541)
If I'm correct, there are currently 7 in the fleet. I can't determine the current routing for the 7th a/c. I just went through the entire trans-atlantic schedule on USAirways.com to no avail. Will someone please help? Thanks!

PHL-LHR
PHL-CDG
PHL-MUC
PHL-TLV
TLV-PHL
CLT-CDG

Also, on the short-haul side, don't forget that these planes are flying PHL-CLT.

PHL Jun 19, 2010 9:32 pm

It would be bad planning to not have a spare with their A332 schedule. Having one off the schedule allows for minor maintenance rotations, as well. And, of course, if a swap is required then they should be able to cover it in most cases.

FlightNurse Jun 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Would be nice to see a flagship aircraft flown out of the hometown airport! How about PHX-HNL or maybe PHX-LHR (not too sure if the A330 has the range for it)

Originally Posted by ig744 (Post 14153541)

PHL-LHR
PHL-CDG
PHL-MUC
PHL-TLV
TLV-PHL
CLT-CDG

BoeingBoy Jun 20, 2010 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 14166871)
Would be nice to see a flagship aircraft flown out of the hometown airport! How about PHX-HNL or maybe PHX-LHR (not too sure if the A330 has the range for it)

From what's been said in the crew news sessions, it's unlikely in the short term - just not enough O&D traffic and a tendency to have more leisure traffic.

If the US/DL slot swap deal goes through and US gets a NRT slot, that would likely be the first use of the A332's from PHX since they don't have the range to fly PHL-NRT.

Jim

FlightNurse Jun 21, 2010 8:59 am

Interesting, but I would assume if US would place a A330 and announce it, people would fly it. I find it hard to believe that US could not fill a A330 out of PHX.

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy (Post 14167266)
From what's been said in the crew news sessions, it's unlikely in the short term - just not enough O&D traffic and a tendency to have more leisure traffic.

If the US/DL slot swap deal goes through and US gets a NRT slot, that would likely be the first use of the A332's from PHX since they don't have the range to fly PHL-NRT.

Jim

BoeingBoy Jun 21, 2010 9:26 am

They might well be able to fill it up, but at what fare level. Plus flights from PHL have a much bigger catchment area for connecting traffic than PHX - not many people would fly west to PHX just to go east to Europe/Middle East.

It wasn't mentioned at the crew news session, but another problem is distance. PHX to western Europe (even LHR) is too far for an A333 and 767 without weight restrictions. Throw in the summer temps and the performance penalty that results makes it worse. That leaves only the A332. Apparently they think they can get more revenue from the limited number of A332's flying them from the eastern hubs to Europe/Middle East. while still offering one connection flights from PHX.

Jim

PHL Jun 21, 2010 10:04 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 14169651)
Interesting, but I would assume if US would place a A330 and announce it, people would fly it. I find it hard to believe that US could not fill a A330 out of PHX.

I don't find it hard to believe. For the reasons Boeing Boy mentions, as well as just looking at the performance of European nonstops from PHX by other airlines. The yields are probably not there. LH couldn't do it and pulled out in 2004, citing weak traffic. BA flies to LHR only 5 days per week. Are there any other nonstop TA routes from PHX?

It's far easier(and profitable) to connect people West of the Mississippi at CLT or PHL.

neotope Jun 21, 2010 10:08 am

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 14170015)
Are there any other nonstop TA routes from PHX?

London is the only transatlantic flight from PHX.

All the other international traffic is either Canada, Mexico, Jamaica and Costa Rica.