Upgrades on Companion Tix

Old Apr 4, 2010, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air CP/HHonors/Marriott
Upgrades on Companion Tix

Looking at booking an upcoming flight with the wife with the $99 companion ticket we get through our Us Air Visa.

Was curious if these tickets are eligible for upgrades as if we purchased both tickets - IE, are we on the same itinerary? As a CP, I figure we will get the upgrade if so, but otherwise, decisions will be made.

Thanks,

BGT
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Yes. I am CP and use my $99 companion tix each year and generally we both get upgraded.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
If there's 2 of you, you'll get the automatic upgrade.

If there's 3 of you, at least 2 must have status for you to
upgrade automatically; you'd have to call in but I hear that the new rules cap you at upgrading one companion, so I'm not sure that you will get an agent who will override that.

Upgrading 3 when 2 have status is allowed and will go at the window of the higher-status traveller.

I've been upgraded on these tickets many times! It does put you on the same PNR.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I concur. My gf and I have been ug'd many times when using the companion cert.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
Was upgraded going to DEN and back during Christmas on a companion ticket. There were three of us, and two of us were upgraded beforehand, and the last one was at the gate. (coach was oversold, and there were few elites, so I'm not too sure if upgrading 2 people and yourself is normally allowed)
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
A sort of related question - am I allowed to use both of those certs at once (IE pay 1 full fare flight and use the other 2 for two additional tickets) or is it only 1 at a time?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
A sort of related question - am I allowed to use both of those certs at once (IE pay 1 full fare flight and use the other 2 for two additional tickets) or is it only 1 at a time?

Actually you may not use them one at a time - you can use the cert for one or two companions but it cannot be split and used for two different flights (which would be nice if you could).

(how do I box the original question above to distinguish it as I see others do?)
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Actually you may not use them one at a time - you can use the cert for one or two companions but it cannot be split and used for two different flights (which would be nice if you could).

(how do I box the original question above to distinguish it as I see others do?)
Thanks for the response - just reread the terms and what you said makes more sense.

Just hit the quote button in the post to get the pretty box ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.