Overnight layover.. what happens to luggage?

Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Overnight layover.. what happens to luggage?

I have a trip where I get to a hub (Charlotte) on Sat and then leaving on Sunday for the final destination (Carribean).

Does my luggage from my initial flight stay with the airline? Or do I need to claim it? Do I have a choice?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:31 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
If you check it to your final destination it will stay with us & you will not need to claim it.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:05 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
I believe that you have no choice. It stays with the airline.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:09 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
If you check it to your final destination it will stay with us & you will not need to claim it.
(bold mine) Did you mean you personally or the airline itself?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:05 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by bitburgr
(bold mine) Did you mean you personally or the airline itself?
Hehe, he means "us" as in he works for US in luggage area so "us" is him and co-workers.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 1:16 pm

I would be surprised if an automated bag tag will issue with fligths on separate calendar days with a connection time greater than 4 hours (four hours is the typical timeframe US uses to determine a connection vs a stopover). My guess is you'll need to collect in the gateway city and keep overnight. But please let us know!
Old Dec 17, 2009, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mykle
I would be surprised if an automated bag tag will issue with fligths on separate calendar days with a connection time greater than 4 hours (four hours is the typical timeframe US uses to determine a connection vs a stopover). My guess is you'll need to collect in the gateway city and keep overnight. But please let us know!
Why?

We had bags sitting in MUC overnight before. No issues. Actually they were sitting overnight in BKK and MUC (HKT-BKK-FRA-MUC-CLT route).
Old Dec 17, 2009, 2:58 pm

Why, because four hours is the typical timeframe US uses to determine a connection vs a stopover. Arriving one day, with a stopover the next day, more than 4 hours later, I'd be willing to bet the system will only check to the gateway city. Will be interesting to find out what happens.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:39 pm

Programs: CP USAIR Dividend Miles, Priority Club Platinum , Am Ex Membership Rewards, American AAdvantage
Just had the opposite situation. Flew from STT to CLT on Saturday. No flights to LAS till Sunday ( airline cancelled connecting flight to LAS after original reservation). Both boarding passes were printed but baggage was first checked only to CLT. We had to recheck it the next day to LAS after a short night at the Holiday Inn - not bad actually.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:42 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Why, because four hours is the typical timeframe US uses to determine a connection vs a stopover. Arriving one day, with a stopover the next day, more than 4 hours later, I'd be willing to bet the system will only check to the gateway city. Will be interesting to find out what happens.
I've had overnight connections checked through before. I don't think it is a problem to tag the bags for it.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS

Folks this is routine stuff here. A flight comes in from xyz & depts next morn to xyy bags are checked all the through to final destination. The bags are kept in a secure area & go on the flight the next morning. It's not a problem.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
It's not a problem.

Unless you are expecting to get your bag back and need something from it.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:18 am

I'll take that bet. Shall we say $20? You can check it to the final just fine in such situation.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by bbbb
In such case you don't check it to the final destination. Simple.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bbbb
I recall a flight (not US) where we were forced to spend the night after long delays a 1.5 hour flight that had to turn back to ATL at 1 AM with mechanical problems. The FA said IF anyone absolutely needed their bags, they would have them pulled. The rest would be on our plane the next AM.

This doesn't exactly answer the OP's question about a scheduled overnight but it does allow me to share a TRUE story about overnight delays and luggage...

It's 2 AM at the luggage carousel, a fellow passenger on this grounded flight was quite anxious about her checked luggage. This highly intoxicated lady, appearing older than her years, had just returned from ANC with a SALMON iced down in her luggage. Not dry ice, but real H2O ice. Ms. Einstein proceeded to let everyone know in her cigarette-rasp voice about her precious package and was distraught over whether to either preserve it with hotel ice in the bathtub OR if enough passengers were hungry she would find somewhere to cook it tonight. Oh, and there had better be a bar open this time of night too!

Unfortunately the story doesn't end here. Her luggage hits the carousel with a squish and an odor proclaiming that the long trip from ANC and delays on the hot tarmac in ATL was too long for Mr. Fish. She goes into a tirade about suing DL for ruining her prize. This tirade continued at the Day's Inn where she cruised the halls all night with her rotting prize and a bottle of generic label vodka and banging on doors looking for someone to "party with her and her salmon!" Thankfully neither she nor her salmon were anywhere to be found the next morning on the early flight out to MOB.

Last edited by PittDoc; Dec 18, 2009 at 8:35 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.