FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Overnight layover.. what happens to luggage? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1028594-overnight-layover-what-happens-luggage.html)

welookgood.com Dec 16, 2009 8:36 pm

Overnight layover.. what happens to luggage?

I have a trip where I get to a hub (Charlotte) on Sat and then leaving on Sunday for the final destination (Carribean).

Does my luggage from my initial flight stay with the airline? Or do I need to claim it? Do I have a choice?

coachrowsey Dec 16, 2009 10:31 pm

If you check it to your final destination it will stay with us & you will not need to claim it.

MikeLaw Dec 17, 2009 6:05 am

I believe that you have no choice. It stays with the airline.

bitburgr Dec 17, 2009 6:09 am

Originally Posted by coachrowsey (Post 13003430)
If you check it to your final destination it will stay with us & you will not need to claim it.

(bold mine) Did you mean you personally or the airline itself? :p

iztok Dec 17, 2009 7:05 am

Originally Posted by bitburgr (Post 13004512)
(bold mine) Did you mean you personally or the airline itself? :p

Hehe, he means "us" as in he works for US in luggage area :) so "us" is him and co-workers.

Mykle Dec 17, 2009 1:16 pm

I would be surprised if an automated bag tag will issue with fligths on separate calendar days with a connection time greater than 4 hours (four hours is the typical timeframe US uses to determine a connection vs a stopover). My guess is you'll need to collect in the gateway city and keep overnight. But please let us know!

iztok Dec 17, 2009 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mykle (Post 13007394)
I would be surprised if an automated bag tag will issue with fligths on separate calendar days with a connection time greater than 4 hours (four hours is the typical timeframe US uses to determine a connection vs a stopover). My guess is you'll need to collect in the gateway city and keep overnight. But please let us know!

Why?

We had bags sitting in MUC overnight before. No issues. Actually they were sitting overnight in BKK and MUC (HKT-BKK-FRA-MUC-CLT route).

Mykle Dec 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Why, because four hours is the typical timeframe US uses to determine a connection vs a stopover. Arriving one day, with a stopover the next day, more than 4 hours later, I'd be willing to bet the system will only check to the gateway city. Will be interesting to find out what happens.

smkidsap Dec 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Just had the opposite situation. Flew from STT to CLT on Saturday. No flights to LAS till Sunday ( airline cancelled connecting flight to LAS after original reservation). Both boarding passes were printed but baggage was first checked only to CLT. We had to recheck it the next day to LAS after a short night at the Holiday Inn - not bad actually.

MikeLaw Dec 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mykle (Post 13008099)
Why, because four hours is the typical timeframe US uses to determine a connection vs a stopover. Arriving one day, with a stopover the next day, more than 4 hours later, I'd be willing to bet the system will only check to the gateway city. Will be interesting to find out what happens.

I've had overnight connections checked through before. I don't think it is a problem to tag the bags for it.

coachrowsey Dec 17, 2009 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mykle (Post 13007394)

Folks this is routine stuff here. A flight comes in from xyz & depts next morn to xyy bags are checked all the through to final destination. The bags are kept in a secure area & go on the flight the next morning. It's not a problem.

bbbb Dec 18, 2009 7:49 am

Originally Posted by coachrowsey (Post 13010253)
It's not a problem.

Unless you are expecting to get your bag back and need something from it.

iztok Dec 18, 2009 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Mykle (Post 13008099)

I'll take that bet. Shall we say $20? You can check it to the final just fine in such situation.

iztok Dec 18, 2009 8:21 am

Originally Posted by bbbb (Post 13011960)

In such case you don't check it to the final destination. Simple.

PittDoc Dec 18, 2009 8:30 am

Originally Posted by bbbb (Post 13011960)

I recall a flight (not US) where we were forced to spend the night after long delays a 1.5 hour flight that had to turn back to ATL at 1 AM with mechanical problems. The FA said IF anyone absolutely needed their bags, they would have them pulled. The rest would be on our plane the next AM.

This doesn't exactly answer the OP's question about a scheduled overnight but it does allow me to share a TRUE story about overnight delays and luggage...

It's 2 AM at the luggage carousel, a fellow passenger on this grounded flight was quite anxious about her checked luggage. This highly intoxicated lady, appearing older than her years, had just returned from ANC with a SALMON iced down in her luggage. Not dry ice, but real H2O ice. Ms. Einstein proceeded to let everyone know in her cigarette-rasp voice about her precious package and was distraught over whether to either preserve it with hotel ice in the bathtub OR if enough passengers were hungry she would find somewhere to cook it tonight. Oh, and there had better be a bar open this time of night too!

Unfortunately the story doesn't end here. Her luggage hits the carousel with a squish and an odor proclaiming that the long trip from ANC and delays on the hot tarmac in ATL was too long for Mr. Fish. She goes into a tirade about suing DL for ruining her prize. This tirade continued at the Day's Inn where she cruised the halls all night with her rotting prize and a bottle of generic label vodka and banging on doors looking for someone to "party with her and her salmon!" Thankfully neither she nor her salmon were anywhere to be found the next morning on the early flight out to MOB.