Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Up to a 250% Holiday Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Worth it to get USAir 140mi/$

Frugal Travel Guy just posted a way to earn 140mi/dollar using a new USAIR promotion

http://www.frugaltravelguy.blogspot.com/

I was going to pull the trigger and spend roughly $5000 for 700K worth of USAir miles.

Questions:
1. What do people think? With the recent 3-tier structure and devaluation of miles what do people think about essentially "buying" these miles.
2. I have heard it is a difficult experience trying to book star alliance flights over the phone with lazy agents. What do people think about the booking experience they have had with USAir on Star Alliance flights
3. Brought to my attentions that the fees are outrageous with USAir. So is it true that one is charged: $40 for call center + 25/35/50 Award processing fee for each award ticket redemption of *Alliance flights?

Just wanted to get experienced USAir DM flyer thoughts...for example if this offer was in the DL SkyMiles section I would say to anyone dont waste there time as skymiles are worthless.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 4:32 pm

deleted

Last edited by hoya2lane; Nov 30, 2009 at 10:56 am
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
This looks like it's going to turn out to be very valuable! Hopefully the miles will post without spending hours on the phone!

Halothane
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by mrkymark
Frugal Travel Guy just posted a way to earn 140mi/dollar using a new USAIR promotion

http://www.frugaltravelguy.blogspot.com/

I was going to pull the trigger and spend roughly $5000 for 700K worth of USAir miles.

Questions:
1. What do people think? With the recent 3-tier structure and devaluation of miles what do people think about essentially "buying" these miles.
2. I have heard it is a difficult experience trying to book star alliance flights over the phone with lazy agents. What do people think about the booking experience they have had with USAir on Star Alliance flights
3. Brought to my attentions that the fees are outrageous with USAir. So is it true that one is charged: $40 for call center + 25/35/50 Award processing fee for each award ticket redemption of *Alliance flights?

Just wanted to get experienced USAir DM flyer thoughts...for example if this offer was in the DL SkyMiles section I would say to anyone dont waste there time as skymiles are worthless.
2 and 3 are not huge concerns. The agents are good enough if you use the ANA tool and despite the $100 fees you still get a great deal. 1 is the real concern.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Gold; US TIB; Hyatt Diamond
Has anyone had (base, not 250% bonus) miles post as part of this promo yet? I'm wondering which retailers have the fastest turn-around.

Already made 6 purchases (just to be sure)...am waiting for first 4 to post before I pull the trigger on trackitback.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:15 pm

BTW, where can you track purchases?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:41 pm

Programs: SPG PLT
Originally Posted by kopflyer
Has anyone had (base, not 250% bonus) miles post as part of this promo yet? I'm wondering which retailers have the fastest turn-around.

Already made 6 purchases (just to be sure)...am waiting for first 4 to post before I pull the trigger on trackitback.
Same here! Just gonna wait to purchase trackitback until I see some kind of activity. I don't want them to apply the 250% bonus to a small purchase.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
The FAQ says it takes 6-8 weeks after the item is shipped before these will post. I know when using the AA mall, it takes forever for the miles to post. Anyone have previous experience on how long transactions take to post with the US Air mall?

I'm assuming that they'll wait at least 30 days, after the return periods for most places.
That's my single biggest concern. The one downside with these promos is posting time (or whether things post at all).

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
So hopefully it won't matter the order in which the transactions post, and we'll get the 250% bonus on EVERY purchase. This is kind of a big leap of faith though. The return periods will be long gone by the time they calculate and post the bonus miles in March.
I'm actually not too worried about that. To me, the language looks pretty clear.

Mike
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
I'm actually not too worried about that. To me, the language looks pretty clear.
I hope you're right, because I'm planning on making my trackitback purchase today

I've made a few "buffer" purchases, just to be safe. Hopefully, not too many

For these click-through purchases, I wish there was better confirmation of the transaction. With Bing cashback, you get an email not too long after completing your transaction. Other sites should do the same.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:00 am

Anyone used the THANKS discount code on restaurant.com lately?

I'm getting a "coupon expired" error...
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by YYZC2
Anyone used the THANKS discount code on restaurant.com lately?

I'm getting a "coupon expired" error...

Code SAVE didn't work yesterday either even though I had an email saying it was good through yesterday.

Got a new email today for the code LIST which (supposedly) gives 60% off of a restaurant.com certificate.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:13 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
After reading back through the wording of this promo, these excerpts seem to contradict one another:

"We'll add your final big bonus to every purchase you make throughout the entire promotion period, up to 10 individual purchases."

AND

"Bonus amounts will be assigned in order of posting date(s) for qualified transactions."
I believe these T&Cs have nothing to do with the first 4 transactions, but instead mean that the bonus only applies to the first 10 transactions in the promotion period. Transactions #11 and after get no bonus.

Now that the morons at Wine Insiders have posted my September purchase as 2 transactions dated 11/30 (one for the 4 miles/dollar spent and another for the 1,000 mile sign-up bonus, I'm getting nervous that my TrackItBack purchase could end up being #11. Considering the big bucks I was planning on spending, that would be very, very bad.

Anyone know what TrackItBack's return policy is for unopened/unused merchandise?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
The fun thing about being married to a mileage whore is that when my wife gets a huge thing of flowers, she's going to be more grateful for the miles that the flowers generated than the flowers themselves.

Mike
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
It has to be 5 different stores, says so right on the promotion.

The shopping mall question is the concern - lists DM Shopping Mall as a participating merchant - but then the Bose, Sears, Macys, B&N and Harry & David links are also DM Shopping Mall merchants. So that's confusing to me. Does that mean any single DM Shopping Mall hit other than those specifically listed will count?

For my purposes, it won't matter. I'll get the initial 4 using Sears, Biscoff, FTD & ThanksAgain. Only one is a mall hit.
bose is ok, because when it posts, it will show as "shopping mall-bose", but sears will post as other shopping mall partner, don't know how they separate them.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Hope someone can help me---when I click on Bose--only 4-6 high priced items show up----how do I get the low priced cables? There doesn't seem to be a way out of the high priced page. Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.