Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Just perform a search at this thread and you will see that this is a very well known problem with USDM and CA flights... It's hit or miss... Look for alternative flights.
I'm aware of problems with NH - CA is usually ok though (in fact it's always there between china and japan when USDM can't see NH)
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I booked the CA178 to PVG a couple weeks ago. I noticed availability bounced around a bit... one day it would marry segments (availability only there taking the 178 all the way to PEK, but not available to PVG only), and other days could only get to PVG and PEK was not possible.

maybe try asking for the 178 to PVG only? see if that makes a difference, then add on the PEK sector. or else give it a day and try again.
MEL-PVG-PEK shows up on UA/AC, but MEL-PVG doesn't.
US agents don't seem to see either. The first one was combative from the get go, so I figured I'll call back again... but next 2 agents couldn't see it either.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA MM, HH Gold, SPG LT Gold
combine OW and *A partner flights now??

is that possible combine in one itinerary OW and *A partner flights before March 30? has anyone tried that?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pm6163
is that possible combine in one itinerary OW and *A partner flights before March 30? has anyone tried that?
not possible.

the only exception is AA may be used outright, or in conjunction with US metal only. (so AA or AA/US itineraries are fine for now)
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
not possible.

the only exception is AA may be used outright, or in conjunction with US metal only. (so AA or AA/US itineraries are fine for now)
Thanks.

Is it confirmed after March 30 the USAir redemption rates stay unchanged for booking OW partner flights?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks.

Is it confirmed after March 30 the USAir redemption rates stay unchanged for booking OW partner flights?
This is all the confirmation I have seen:

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...rt-march-30th/

It's a respected blogger, might be true, but I wouldn't put your life savings into Dividend Miles assuming it is.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Just put two J tickets on hold for 110k each and $267 in taxes:
IAH - LAX
LAX - ICN (Asiana's new A380)
ICN - SYD (open jaw / destination)
BNE - TPE (EVA)
TPE - NRT (EVA) (stopover)
NRT - ORD (ANA 77W)
ORD - IAH

First time booking w/USDM, took 20 minutes on the phone, seemed too easy. I'd like to thank the contributors to this thread.

This is for mid-February 2015 so I'm crossing my fingers that I built enough float time for schedule changes. I purposely arranged each block of flights to be on only one foreign carrier (OZ, open jaw, BR, stopover, NH return).
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kingarthur
IAH - LAX
BNE - TPE (EVA)
NRT - ORD (ANA 77W)
ORD - IAH

First time booking w/USDM, took 20 minutes on the phone, seemed too easy. I'd like to thank the contributors to this thread.

This is for mid-February 2015 so I'm crossing my fingers that I built enough float time for schedule changes. I purposely arranged each block of flights to be on only one foreign carrier (OZ, open jaw, BR, stopover, NH return).
you may run in to trouble with the open jaw and stopover. This rule is frequently enforced. Have an alternative ready if they question this at ticketing.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by kingarthur
IAH - LAX
BNE - TPE (EVA)
NRT - ORD (ANA 77W)
ORD - IAH
which airline are you on from IAH-LAX? do not think we can still book UA?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
which airline are you on from IAH-LAX? do not think we can still book UA?
I'm not sure why you'd think that...there are no issues booking UA.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott (Titanium); National (Exec); Hilton (Gold)
Any tips on trying to get a North American layover greater than 4 hours?

I'm coming from non-hub airport in the Midwest and want to try Asiana's new A380 from LAX. However, it leaves in the morning, and it is impossible to get there before it leaves because I can only connect via Phoenix.

The only available option is to fly the night before and land at 10PM.

I know I can pay the staging cost, but I didn't know if there was some hidden way to get a >4Hr North American layover.

Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:28 pm

Eyeing a 3 pax award UA routing from RDU-SMX in June that puts us on US air to PIT for the first segment. I want to wait for the AA reduced mileage chart to post for June to see if SBA is on it. What are the odds of me putting a hold on the UA itinerary(with the US seg) on the 30th and still being able to actually book it if need be 3 days later? Thinking slim to none....
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by XMS91

I'm coming from non-hub airport in the Midwest and want to try Asiana's new A380 from LAX. However, it leaves in the morning, and it is impossible to get there before it leaves because I can only connect via Phoenix.

I know I can pay the staging cost, but I didn't know if there was some hidden way to get a >4Hr North American layover.

Thanks.
I am not sure that your worry is valid. Are you saying you do not think this is valid layover at LAX?

4/6 US2709 CLE-PHX 12:00pm - 1:34pm
4/6 US2029 PHX-LAX 4:35pm - 6:56pm
4/7 OZ 201 LAX-ICN 1:10pm - 6:10pm+1
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geclub1
I am not sure that your worry is valid. Are you saying you do not think this is valid layover at LAX?

4/6 US2709 CLE-PHX 12:00pm - 1:34pm
4/6 US2029 PHX-LAX 4:35pm - 6:56pm
4/7 OZ 201 LAX-ICN 1:10pm - 6:10pm+1
this

Originally Posted by XMS91

Thanks.
never had an issue, on an international itinerary, with a transit over four hours in the USA. (if fact when connecting from regional airports to a major hub in bad weather season I get as long as I can... which has been well over four hours in most cases)
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Trying to get to FIJI? What am I doing wrong?

I had researched and planned a trip to FIJI on *A. Confirmed all routings via KVS and united.com - valid award tickets (saver class on united). Coach shows avail on both.

9/7/2014
US1815 - 11:50 (BUF-CLT)
US2029 - 4:35pm (CLT-LAX)
NZ1 - 9:45pm (LAX-AKL)
9/9/2014
NZ752 - 6:40am (AKL-NAN)

Return
9/17
NZ57 - 2:15pm (NAN-AKL)
NZ6 - 7:40pm (AKL-LAX) arriving at 12:55pm
then figure out how to get home from LAX - options were redeye or spend a night - but take US back to BUF.

Called in. Agent said there wasnt any availability on any of the segments we gave her. Not even the US1815 which is clearly bookable on usairways.com (albeit at the "coach high" level).

Can I not book into Coach High on US?
Is there issues with NZ? KVS says available. United.com says available. Agent says no.

HUACA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.