Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by Boddingtons
I find this very hard to believe.
Sounds like they can't be bothered to look for you. Keep trying!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ellylex
I think I need a different plan
This is the original routing on hold for September using USAir 90K award:
LAX-IAD-AMS (stopover) so far on United
AMS - ZRH- PVG on Swiss
PVG - Seoul - LAX on Asiana

After checking the weather in AMS - it doesn't look good. I found comments from last years and weather sites that it is far from warm. Around 10-15 Celcius plus drizzle/rain.
Is it better to cross out AMS and visit it during warmer period?
In that case, what destination to add to China trip (with USAir miles), given that passengers have been to Japan and Thailand before. A beach destination would be great as well.

Thank You everyone for your input and patience with my numerous questions.
amsterdam is great to visit any time of the year.

if you have that itinerary on hold including swiss it looks great!! go for it and enjoy

you say you checked seat guru... I would want to confirm via the asiana forum here in FT whether your flight has flat beds.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by louie-m
Sounds like they can't be bothered to look for you. Keep trying!
I've tried no less than ten times through various departments and two supervisor's
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:15 pm

No more Star Alliance bookings using Dividend Miles??

Last night I tried to change a BKK-MUC-MAN flight from Dec '13 to Apr '14. Despite all sectors being available to other partners, whilst US could see the TG BKK-MUC flight, there was no availability on the LH MUC-MAN sector.

Today I tried again, just for the LH sectors, and was advised by an agent who "had recently had some training" that they cannot book award seats on Lufthansa Group for travel after November 1st.

I rang back to see whether there was availability prior to 1st November and that proved to be negative. Not only that, US cannot see any Star Alliance availability other than on their own metal.

A supervisor had reportedly said that "Star partner's won't allow us any seats at all", so no seats at any time, not even prior to November 1st which one can only suspect is their agreed withdrawal from the Star Alliance?

This is all particularly strange given that no formal clearance on the merger has been announced. As for canning all award seats, I find this very hard to believe. I can only think of a system glitch, but the fact that they could see some airlines last night and none today is somewhat confusing.

Has anyone had any experience today? And before anyone tells me I have a lazy agent....I tried no less than ten times over two days. Try it for yourself.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by lscorpio
Apparently OZ has an equipment change and no first class on the selected dates between FRA-ICN.
... Still I see that they fly the 744 on these dates?
This equipment changes on OZ on selected days are confirmed by a german forum. At this time it's also nearly impossible to find F-cl seats on TG to asia as commented... good luck!

I tried again today however and a rather knowledgeable agent advised that she had recently had some training was informed that they cannot book award seats on Lufthansa Group after November 1st.

Anyone else had any similar issues?
No new story! Read back a few pages. This question will be posted nearly every 3 days...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
KVS tool trouble

Anyone else having trouble with the KVS tool today? My award flight searches return FS? CS? YS? for every search. I guess I will try later.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Anyone else having trouble with the KVS tool today? My award flight searches return FS? CS? YS? for every search. I guess I will try later.
Hopefully this is a glitch that US are experiencing too in that they cannot see any Star availability.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Been advised now that "Star partner's won't allow us any seats at all", so no seats at any time, not even prior to November 1st according to supervisor.

They can see US availability only.

Last night they could see everything but LH Group pretty much, now they can see nothing!

I find this very hard to believe.
Just called - got the same reply. I am sure they can see everything - they got advised not to "sell" those seats.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, UA, DL, SPG, AMEX
Trying to book flights for BOM-SIN on SQ and it seems the US Airways Agent do not see any availability. I was able to see the availability through United website. But when I check through ANA website it returns "RQ" for all the class (X,J etc). Have tried 3 calls to US Air Agents.. Any ideas? Seems ANA does not see any TG flights as well from BOM-BKK.. Star alliance award glitch??

Last edited by murtuza; Aug 21, 2013 at 1:46 pm Reason: Add TG info
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by apeortdz

Yes. Experienced the same just now. I get the same return FS? CS? YS? for every search.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:09 pm

ANA is returning RQ for every search today.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Any successful summer 2014 bookings?

My sister has called in twice to book LH tickets for July 2014. No luck. She's been told LH hasn't been loaded yet and that there is an IT glitch. All sorts of stuff. Has anyone else successfully booked tickets that far out?
I'm the one who got her into all this, and I'm not sure what to tell her.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:53 pm

Same observation here. Plenty of United, EVA and ANA space for March 2014, but US sees none of it in any cabin.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:55 pm

"Try it for yourself. "
I did have a similiar question, after more than 20 minutes on hold before even getting to a person I gave up and hung up.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Maybe Dougie jumped the gun in planning to leave *A. Perhaps start asking about BA, IB and CX flights and see what they see?

Can always hang up and try again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.