Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA Fan
How reliable is the info on Saudia? One of my domestic UA flights changed (just a few minutes, but the real change was aircraft and flight#). On Saudia I still see the old flight#.
Sv.com tells you ticket status
Us.com tells you reservation status
Old Aug 27, 2013, 2:27 pm

Hi,

Can some one tell me if you can buy and gift to receive bonus points in the current promotion.

I have bought the points many times but it appears the rules are different whereby I can not get the bonus for both 50,000 buy and gift transactions- only a total of 50,000 points will be given as a bonus.

Thanks

Ps, before someone smart tells me on page 992 some one had already asked- I searched for a while but could find any post in the last couple of days.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: VA, QF and a few others
Originally Posted by mikk13
Hi,

Can some one tell me if you can buy and gift to receive bonus points in the current promotion.

I have bought the points many times but it appears the rules are different whereby I can not get the bonus for both 50,000 buy and gift transactions- only a total of 50,000 points will be given as a bonus.

Thanks

Ps, before someone smart tells me on page 992 some one had already asked- I searched for a while but could find any post in the last couple of days.
Ok I'll be nice..

If you note in the T&C's "The maximum number of Buy and Gift Bonus miles that can be received by one member for this offer is 50,000 bonus miles. All miles purchased beyond this limit will not be eligible for a bonus."

Cheers
Rog76
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Sv.com tells you ticket status
Us.com tells you reservation status
Thanks, another thing I noticed is that I was booked on SQ12 from SIN-NRT-LAX and then UA to DFW. Us.com and sq.com do not show the NRT-LAX segment, however ua.com and sv.com do show it.

Is it something to worry about?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thanks, another thing I noticed is that I was booked on SQ12 from SIN-NRT-LAX and then UA to DFW. Us.com and sq.com do not show the NRT-LAX segment, however ua.com and sv.com do show it.

I would be confirming with sq directly (phone if necessary) that you have a through booking with ticket numbers against that booking.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

Yes, worry. Worry a lot. Looks like a textbook case of a SHARES dropped segment. UA and SV won't reflect it because the ticket hasn't been reissued since the change.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone had any experience with US award on ET?

Originally I booked JNB-ADD-OUA (departing sep 6th arriving sep 7th) on ET using US. The confirmation number doesn't work out on ET's website using "manage bookings" but on SV it was ok.

Last month ET changed its ADD-OUA schedule. I found this out by reviewing my itinerary online and clicked "accept changes" by delaying the ADD-OUA segment to the next day (sep 8th). JNB-ADD was still sep 6th.

Now I have finished the first two segments (AMS-CAI-JNB) of this itinerary. Suddenly I discover that JNB-ADD segment has been moved to sep 7th on usairways.com -- I didn't do anything neither received any notices.

I also checked the SV website and it is shown that the ticket is still departing on 6th. And the ADD-OUA segment is still on 7th (this is not possible since the flight has been cancelled on that day).

Anyone has suggestions under this situation?

EDIT: I found the reason I can't see it on ET's website. When trying with virtually there it says "THIS RESERVATION DOESN'T HAVE EMAIL, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR TRAVEL ARRANGER", err...

Last edited by zig2; Aug 28, 2013 at 1:58 am
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:02 am

Call US to get the ticket reissued. Stress that it is an involuntary schedule change.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Nearly Screwed by Turkish?

Checking our latest award run. YYZ-LHR-FRA-IST-ICN-Hkt,HKT-ICN-LHR-YYZ all in Biz. I managed to find seating we like. Except for TK 90 IST-ICN. Given16 c d? Seat map shows only 6 rows in biz Are we being placed in Comfort Class ? Not Biz I ask unhelpful agent in TK office Yyz. ( no other seats avl!) So I try to call Turkey. Same run around Call 800 #. Don't worry it's biz class sort out at IST. Not. Invested 2x$150 change fee plus2x$33 taxes. To new route. FRA-VIE-NRT (OS best biz we've tried!) then OZ Nrt-Icn-Hkt
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Same Day Flight Changes on United, booked with USAir Miles

Using USAir miles, I am booked on award travel with United from DAY-EWR, and from EWR-CPH on SAS Airlines. I am concerned about my short layover connection time I have at EWR due to the historically poor flight time arrival/cancellations of the United DAY-EWR flight. Plus, I am booked on the last DAY-EWR flight available on United that day. Therefore, I was wondering on the day of travel, I assume I check-in on the United website, and if so, and if seats are available, can I take advantage of the option to fly DAY-EWR and pay the "same day" change fee for an earlier departing flight to EWR? Having booked with USAir miles, I didn't know if this made a difference or not. Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: Usairways, Hilton Honors, IHG
I wanted to ask you all before I called US to book or question ... I was wondering if I could book an award flight from Washington Area (BWI, DCA, IAD) to Honolulu (HNL) stop and stay for a few days than continue to the French Polynesia (PPT) and return back to the Washington Area.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
this has probably been asked a million times over (i did do a search tho - i promise!)

a buddy is trying to redeem a united domestic flight on a usairways award. he called in (having seen the availible seat via a united.com search [not signed in either]) to usairways who said they can't get that seat bc united doesn't release all their inventory to them

is this true??
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Thermostat5
I wanted to ask you all before I called US to book or question ... I was wondering if I could book an award flight from Washington Area (BWI, DCA, IAD) to Honolulu (HNL) stop and stay for a few days than continue to the French Polynesia (PPT) and return back to the Washington Area.
As long as US allows redemptions on HA for the HNL-PPT portion (http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...nairlines.html just speaks of earning, not redeeming), it should be fine, as the HNL stopover is at an HA hub and the routing is direct and logical.

EDIT: it should be fine
http://www.usairways.com/pv_obj_cach...wardtravel.pdf
says "Award redemption on Hawaiian Airlines is available on inter-island and South Pacific flights only"
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:20 pm

Wow, US Airways agents are quite empowered. I currently have HND-LAX on hold, for July 31, 2013. I didn't realize that there was an International Year Line.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I have been on the phone with two seperate US Airways agents. I see J and Y class availability on LH on both united.com and KVS, and agent can't see any availabilities. Is US Airways blocking LH premium class awards recently? I read somewhere there was a IT issue that is doing so, but is solved already a week ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.