Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:30 pm

just wondering how strict for US airways for stop over HUB city policy? I'm try to get Paris or London as stop over fly AC or UA
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:41 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by ecgz88
just wondering how strict for US airways for stop over HUB city policy? I'm try to get Paris or London as stop over fly AC or UA
It's quite strict. But LHR and CDG are US Airways gateways and you should be fine with a stopover (see rules). Mind, if you make a stopover at the UK on a business or first class ticket, you will be charged the UK luxury tax (+/- £50-100, depending on distance flown from the UK)...
Old Aug 25, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I've been flying LH F frequently using US miles - the UA evening flights from PVD are on time ~0% of the time, and I always have them reroute me on LH, LX, or SQ (to FRA). I earn miles too flying this way
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Silver,DM Silver, HH Gold VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ellylex
After checking the weather in AMS - it doesn't look good. I found comments from last years and weather sites that it is far from warm. Around 10-15 Celcius plus drizzle/rain.
Is it better to cross out AMS and visit it during warmer period?
In that case, what destination to add to China trip (with USAir miles), given that passengers have been to Japan and Thailand before. A beach destination would be great as well.

Thank You everyone for your input and patience with my numerous questions.
Well as a resident of Amsterdam all I can say is that during the summer period our city is a nice place to visit. However whether you come in April,May or September doesn't matter that much. Our weather is just very unpredictable. We sometimes have good weather in mid October, and sometimes our summer sucks with 20C max whereas like this summer we got around 36C. So there aren't any months in particular that stand out. Apart from July-Beginning August.

If you have questions about something else just let me know!

Something else, having read some of the response in this thread below, can we assume that no matter what US is leaving *A after November 1st for OneWorld?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Meckins
Something else, having read some of the response in this thread below, can we assume that no matter what US is leaving *A after November 1st for OneWorld?
They aren't welcome when not merged with AA.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: DL Silver,DM Silver, HH Gold VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RTW1
They aren't welcome when not merged with AA.
Good to hear, going to help my parents soon for a nice US partner award trip to Asia then. Hopefully some nice seats will be made available soon then, since the availability lately sucked on several routes whereas it used to be good. Probably some prior merger issues, let's hope as soon as the news comes out off DoJ award availability is restored. ^
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.
Award Ticket Changes

I have flights on UA using US miles in J. If F opens up on UA before travel date can I upgrade using more miles? With UA I know I can do this, not sure with US Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by orli-flier
I have flights on UA using US miles in J. If F opens up on UA before travel date can I upgrade using more miles? With UA I know I can do this, not sure with US Thanks!
You can't upgrade a mileage ticket. You have to cancel the C-cl ticket, pay the fee of $150.-, and then you can issue the F-cl ticket, with all fees applying...
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation Moderator Warning

Posts of an overtly personal nature have been deleted. Kindly stay on the subject at hand, without making things personal.

-AZ
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I've been flying LH F frequently using US miles - the UA evening flights from PVD are on time ~0% of the time, and I always have them reroute me on LH, LX, or SQ (to FRA). I earn miles too flying this way
So how does one book an award that is not in the award table? I've asked DM and a supervisor said the matter was suspicious and would be investigated as they can sort awards by airline and class of service.

I just asked for equal treatment for upcoming LH F availability (ANA) which was promptly denied.

The supervisor said they were not familiar with the OP's blog . To me? Braggadocio is a component of any of these boards. Just my 2cents.

Last edited by TPA us ff; Aug 25, 2013 at 5:50 pm
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
So how does one book an award that is not in the award table? I've asked DM and a supervisor said the matter was suspicious and would be investigated.

I just asked for equal treatment for upcoming LH F availability (ANA).

The supervisor said they were not familiar with the OP's blog but will hand over to security. To me? Sounds bogus.
obviously one way is in the case of irrops as outlined by PVDtoDEL. UA did the same for me a couple years back when I misconnected off one of their services at ORD (on a USDM ticket) and they pulled out all the stops to get me to Europe, even offering a oneworld flight to get me home in time.

the other way is to request an agent to do a 'long sell', a manual request for something which doesn't automatically show.

but reports on FT suggest agents have been instructed not to long sell for LH F. knowing that, I personally wouldn't ask an agent to do something that could get them into trouble.

as for the blogger writing about LH F... maybe it was booked before the explicit 'no LH F' was added to the award chart... but he says it was booked at short notice, which implies after the award chart was changed.

even after someone commented on his blog with a link to this thread, his comments remained.

I don't know whether it was an attempt to get business. but if it was me I probably would have removed the offending part of the blog to at least protect the agents involved.

as a buyer of USDM miles I thank USDM for the opportunity and live with the restrictions (which really aren't that onerous).

but if I were a BIS US elite, slogging it out every week to get my miles, I'd be concerned if someone was able to swing the system to get availability that I couldn't.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by travelislife
Here's one I haven't had before and may be a little OT. Have been helping a couple of friends out with booking their first trip using USDM, they signed up for accounts (one each) on Sunday the 4th of August. On Wednesday the 21st I called up and put their reservations on hold for them. On Thursday the 22nd my friend went and bought the miles 100,000 with the bonus and 10,000 without for a total of 110,000. They all went fine in to his account. He did the same for the other account (his girlfriends) with the same credit card but the miles haven't shown up >24hrs later. He called up the credit card company and confirmed all transactions were approved. He called up US airways and they said that when transactions from one card happen on multiple accounts they put a freeze on it to check it out for fraud prevention. They said it can take a couple of days to clear it.

So annoyingly at the moment the funds are off his card but only one account has the 110,000 miles in it but the reservation is on hold with the expiry coming up soon.

I have never had this issue before and have always used the one credit card across multiple accounts so it is a little annoying for this to happen to my newbie friends who I am walking through the process. Has anyone else had this before? I have always had the miles credited within 24 hours.

I haven't been there when he has had the conversation with US so am getting the info second hand. As an aside should he contact points.com?
Okay, so just to close this out. After about 48 hours the miles did show up in the other account. He called up and managed to ticket the booking on hold a couple of hours before expiry. We are actually travelling with them on the first two flights which will be fun considering it is their first ever J experience! the booking was as follows all in Business for 2 people. The booking was as follows all in Business for 2 people:

Outbound
MEL-BKK TG 777
16 hours in BKK

BKK-NRT TG A380

Stopover: 1 week in Japan

NRT-SFO UA 747

Destination: 6 weeks in NA

Inbound
SFO-NRT UA 747
NRT-BKK TG A380
BKK-MEL TG 777

All inbound on about 2 hour connections. Unfortunately the direct flight back from SFO-MEL was gone when United announced they were downgrading to 777 with less business seats, prior to that there had been availability on the 747. All done for 110,000 miles bought during the current promo plus $145 in taxes, plus $50 booking fee. No talk of or issues with MPM.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:37 pm

according US airways official rule, for my understanding LHR and CDG are not allowed unless you fly to LHR/CDG by US airways

You’re allowed one stopover per US Airways itinerary at a US Airways gateway or international destination, or in a partner hub city if you’re traveling on an award partner.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...mberguide.html

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
It's quite strict. But LHR and CDG are US Airways gateways and you should be fine with a stopover (see rules). Mind, if you make a stopover at the UK on a business or first class ticket, you will be charged the UK luxury tax (+/- £50-100, depending on distance flown from the UK)...
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:48 pm

I have a ticketed US airways *alliance award routing Asia to NA via Europe. No problem getting it ticket but one of my flight (United) from EWR to NRT was put in economy since no seats were available.

Called back after a week and a business class seat did open up, agent then explained that I would have to cancel my ticket and loose all my other seats and pay the 150 fee.

Now I dont have a problem with the fee but I cant loose my other seats and hope they will be rebooked since those flights I specially need (flying with someone else on a paid ticket)

What can I do to get the J seat with UNited? Should I speak to United directly since I have a United PNR?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by kyamato
What can I do to get the J seat with UNited? Should I speak to United directly since I have a United PNR?
United will not manage your booking.

The best you can do is keep calling US until you get an agent who does not want to cancel and re-book your entire itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.