Wiki Posts
Search

On hold for over 3 hours!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Gold, UA PE, HHonors Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
On hold for over 3 hours!!

I am flying BOS-DCA today (or so I hoped), and had my original and re-booked flights cancelled. Not a surprise due to weather. But now I have been on hold for over 3 hours to re-book. I lost my Gold status last year, so I don't have access to the Priority phone numbers. There is no other way to re-book that I know of. Since I have to get to DCA sometime today (I am missing one whole day of an important meeting, but it continues tomorrow), I am still holding on...
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Is Amtrak running on time? With all the delays, it might just be quicker to try and get your money back from US Air, and get on the first train to DC.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:49 am

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
Originally Posted by TwilightZoneGirl
... Since I have to get to DCA sometime today...
Hang up the phone and just hop aboard Amtrak.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:47 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
I wonder what you were expecting the wait would be. A severe weather event happened on the east coast effecting the entire east operation. the 3:00 still has 12 seats in y, 4:00 has 28 seats in y. Just go to the airport and get them to move you to the 3 and stand by for the 2...
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:00 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by cwe84
I wonder what you were expecting the wait would be. A severe weather event happened on the east coast effecting the entire east operation.
I guess I'd expect that whomever runs the phone operation in res would ramp up staffing in accordance with a known weather event.

Then again, I have some pretty smart operational types running my firm's call centers. That's one expectation (smart operational types) that most of us are conditioned not to expect from Tempe.

I had to make a small transaction with LUV's reservations last night on the way to BWI as it was snowing. Took 2 minutes to get a human on the phone.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I guess they have cleared it all out but I know Amtrak around here was shutdown due to trees and all on the tracks...
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:09 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by cwe84
I wonder what you were expecting the wait would be. A severe weather event happened on the east coast effecting the entire east operation. the 3:00 still has 12 seats in y, 4:00 has 28 seats in y. Just go to the airport and get them to move you to the 3 and stand by for the 2...
By any reasonable standard, 3 hours is excessive. There's no excuse for it, weather or not.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:06 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Maybe there is a malfunction in the phone system. For example there are ten lines and line #4 is bad. The fifth caller gets through. If the fourth caller hangs up and tries again, he may be lucky and leapfrog to good line #5 or #6 because someone else called in and get stuck on line #4. I have been suspicious of this because it is not unusual for me to get someone much more quickly when hanging up and trying again.

Most of us are too busy to wait on the phone that long anyway. So the idea of just calling back later when it is not busy coupled with the idea that there is a problem with the phone system as described above should together suggest you should hang up after about half an hour.

Not exactly on topic but several years ago I was calling a business that had the bad habit of putting me on hold when someone else called and helping that person instead. I happened to be there in person and seeing it happen to others. Sometimes three or four deep. So I resolved to myself that the next time I was put on hold I would hang up and dial in again and then the clerk would take care of me. Unfortunately the company closed up shortly thereafter and before I could try my idea.

Travel tips: http://www.cockam.com/travel.htm
Old Mar 3, 2009, 4:29 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
In the three hours you waited on the phone, you could have gone to BOS, and rebooked your flight in person.

I know thats not what you want to hear, but I've always found everything is easier in person.

Although maybe the situation was worse in BOS yesterday? Its easy when you fly out of a small airport like mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.