Change Fee - Ways to Avoid?

Subscribe
I want to rebook a flight to the same flight a day later, and there is no difference in fare, but the change fee is $150. More than what the flight itself costs. Ouch. I fly US Airways frequently since they are the only airline the serves this particular route, so getting socked with that fee is just insult to injury, right up there with their $2 water.

Is there a way to avoid this fee?
Quote: I want to rebook a flight to the same flight a day later, and there is no difference in fare, but the change fee is $150. More than what the flight itself costs. Ouch. I fly US Airways frequently since they are the only airline the serves this particular route, so getting socked with that fee is just insult to injury, right up there with their $2 water.

Is there a way to avoid this fee?
As far as I know, there is no way to avoid this fee (besides buying an unrestricted ticket that is). The only way you can ever really mess around like that is with irregular ops like weather and mechanical problems, otherwise I am afraid you are stuck with it.

One thing they do allow (that wont help you but is an FYI for the future) is if you are on a late flight, you can arrive early to the airport and "move up" to an earlier flight (if there is space)the charge is $50 for non preferreds but free if you are preferred. I sometimes buy the cheaper ticket on the late flight and then move up to the flight I want.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help, but the T&Cs do not allow for changes
I've called and they waived a fee for me (cheapest tix). Told them my assistant made a mistake in my travel (called minutes later), and that I was hoping you'd waive the change fee for me as I found a flight (make sure you have the flight no.!) for a little bit less (the difference was 5-10 bucks). After I gave them the flight numbers they said "please wait" and the CS rep said the supervisor said it was fine this time and to enjoy your flight.

Might have something to do with my status, but I didn't mention it; just said a mistake was made.

YMMV
Most airlines will allow you to make changes with no fee if they reschedule your flight to another time.

So, it if your reservation is several months out, there's a very good chance they will change the departure time of your flight (even if it's only by 45 minutes). So, unless absolutley necessary, when I wish to make a change, I'll keep montoring my booking and if they make time change, then I pick up the phone and call to change the date advising the new time doesn't work.

Also, if you ever want to refund a ticket, the same applies so you should always wait till the last minute to cancel with the airline because you never know when they might make a change.

This also applies to reward travel. For example, with AC, I've found that any trip booked more than 6 months out with a total of 4 or more flight segments has nearly a 100% probability of having a schedule change (even if it's only to a single flight) in the months leading up to departure. I've refunded many Aeroplan awards this way and never paid the fee.
For most airlines the "change in time" window to allow a refund is usually 90 minutes. However, last fall I got an alrline to refund when they changed me by 45 minutes - it was the last flight of the day, and I told them that I could not make it to the airport in time for the flight.

Some airlines also have "free look" policies, that basically will allow a refund until midnight the day following ticketing. However, when booking once on CO I mistakenly booked a flight to LAX when I meant to go to LAS. I called 10 minutes later and they eventually did change it for me with no fee, but I had to push them to do it. It wasn't like "Sure, it's an understandable mistake, and it's only been 10 minutes, no harm done."
An update on this: Somehow I managed to get the fee waived. I went to the check-in desk to give it one last shot, and what do you know, the guy was happy to change the ticket without so much as a quibble. Awesome!

I'm pleased, but obviously your mileage may vary, do not try this at home, etc.