Wiki Posts
Search

What to expect in domestic FC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON Circle, Premier M&M World MC, UA MP
What to expect in domestic FC

Making my maiden voyage on US Air domestically in FC from ALB to SFO. What should I expect? There's a layover in PHL.

Thoughts/ideas to get the best experience (I'm a lover of wine, especially on air flights). Travel times are negotiable; ie. I don't have to be there by noon.

I know PHL has a good international Envoy lounge and only know of their *G lounge which is pretty crappy. Is that the lounge I'll have access to or is there another?

Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by abcxyz
Making my maiden voyage on US Air domestically in FC from ALB to SFO. What should I expect? There's a layover in PHL.

Thoughts/ideas to get the best experience (I'm a lover of wine, especially on air flights). Travel times are negotiable; ie. I don't have to be there by noon.

I know PHL has a good international Envoy lounge and only know of their *G lounge which is pretty crappy. Is that the lounge I'll have access to or is there another?

Thanks.
Well, I guess it all depends on what you are used to. If you have been on an airline with really awesome FC I am afraid you will be disappointed. However if you have never been in FC before (which I doubt is the case since you are a lover of wine on air trips) then I think you will have an enjoyable trip. (Also I dont think that US even flies mainline jets ALB-PHL so you will not get a FC experience on your 1st leg due to the express service)

Anyway here is the story...

One of the biggest problems with US F is the fact that the flight attendant service is so very inconsistent. If you have a good FA, then your trip will be that much better. 90% of the time though I am very disappointed myself. It is hit or miss for them to take your jacket, and it is hit or miss if you get a pre-departure drink. On a transcon they should at least get the passenger manifest out and call you by name when they take your meal order. The food is eh, pretty good IMHO. As for wines ummmm well they are OK but be prepared to drink them out of a ummmm plastic cup?? Yes Iam afraid it is true you will have to drink out of plastic. IFE...I believe that they have stopped IFE on all flights except for international flights so bring a good book, a good MP3 player or your own movie player. You should also get a snack out of the famous snack basket and those are pretty good...I am partial to the Biscoff cookies myself!

So in short you will get to board first, a free drink or 2 in a plastic cup, a meal and a bigger seat. Service will be better than in Y but not stellar unless you get a great FA of which there are a few on US.

As far as the club goes, you cannot use the Envoy lounge unless you are flying Envoy. You cannot use the US regular club unless you are a member.

Overall, US F is adequate and much better than Y but I have been in F on other airlines and enjoyed myself and the service much more.

Good luck and have a very nice flight! (Enjoy San Francisco!!)
Old Jan 17, 2009, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Wine out of a plastic cup? Are you serious?

Do they feed you a real meal, or is it what you'd get in Y on an overseas flight? You have to forgive me, I don't know much about domestic travel as I can't remember the last time I was on a domestic flight for more than 40' to fly to a hub.

My comment about the wine was to make the point that I like to get tipsy so I can forget about being stuck on a plane. I don't work on planes; I tend to do that in the lounges, or before I take flight. I want a relaxing experience.

So, with my LH HON status and a *G card, I get access to no lounges in PHL? I thought a FC ticket gives you access to a lounge?

If they do not take my coat, can I hand it to them, or does that mean they won't store the coats in a coat rack?

Planes I am on: Dehavilland Dash 8-300 and Airbus A321.

I get free luggage right?

Is it better to fly out of CLT rather than PHL for the hub? Is champagne served?

I'm going to be doing an SFO route often - would you recommend I switch to another carrier? How is United domestic FC in comparison? I don't want to get off *A since American Airlines doesn't fly out of ALB, but I've heard great things about AA.

NB I don't know what "IFE" is.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Wine out of a plastic cup? Are you serious?

Do they feed you a real meal, or is it what you'd get in Y on an overseas flight? You have to forgive me, I don't know much about domestic travel as I can't remember the last time I was on a domestic flight for more than 40' to fly to a hub.

My comment about the wine was to make the point that I like to get tipsy so I can forget about being stuck on a plane. I don't work on planes; I tend to do that in the lounges, or before I take flight. I want a relaxing experience.

So, with my LH HON status and a *G card, I get access to no lounges in PHL? I thought a FC ticket gives you access to a lounge?

If they do not take my coat, can I hand it to them, or does that mean they won't store the coats in a coat rack?

Planes I am on: Dehavilland Dash 8-300 and Airbus A321.

I get free luggage right?

Is it better to fly out of CLT rather than PHL for the hub? Is champagne served?

I'm going to be doing an SFO route often - would you recommend I switch to another carrier? How is United domestic FC in comparison? I don't want to get off *A since American Airlines doesn't fly out of ALB, but I've heard great things about AA.

NB I don't know what "IFE" is.
I am deadly serious about the plastic cup...

As for Champagne...no way!! If you want Champagne, go to UA.

As for the club...I dont know...you will have to check with LH and *A. All I know is that if you are *G on US you can only use the *A club if you are traveling internationally. (others will chime in on this question eventually)

Dash 8 eh?? That is a turbo prop if you were not aware...the A321 is a pretty nice plane IMHO.

You DO get free luggage for being a F passenger.

As for CLT vs PHL, generally CLT has less problems when traveling through it as a rule (lost luggage, weather, delays etc).

If they dont take your coat, you can ask them to please take it...as long as they didnt get rid of the closet on the A321 (they did get rid of closets on some planes) It is a nice touch when they ask if they can take your coat as it should be expected if you are in F

Personally I think that UA F transcon is much better than US but that is just 1 mans opinion...others may disagree...see what they say...again the others will chime in when they see your post.

Finally IFE is In Flight Entertainment. Such as movies...yeah they got rid of those to save on weight when fuel prices were through the roof during the summer.

Good luck
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

That's ridiculous about the wine. They won't cut a pax off as long as they don't act drunk, will they? US Air has red wine, right?

I'll go through CLT then - a bonus will be no turboprop. I can't believe I don't get lounge access being in FC on a domestic flight.

I'm currently a UA MP member and will probably do most of my flights with them - was just asking for another opinion.

Is there any lounges I can use in SFO once I get off the plane to shower, or at least get a snack?

How are the meals?
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thanks.

That's ridiculous about the wine. They won't cut a pax off as long as they don't act drunk, will they? US Air has red wine, right?

I'll go through CLT then - a bonus will be no turboprop. I can't believe I don't get lounge access being in FC on a domestic flight.

I'm currently a UA MP member and will probably do most of my flights with them - was just asking for another opinion.

Is there any lounges I can use in SFO once I get off the plane to shower, or at least get a snack?

How are the meals?

You most definitely have access to regular US Airways Club lounge in PHL based on your LH*G status, even if you fly in Y.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Thanks.

How are the meals?
US offers red and white wine. Whether they try to limit your intake depends on the FA. I've had some that wouldn't let my cup get 1/2 empty before topping it off, and on in particular that seemed to think that more than one drink an hour was too much.

Not getting lounge access for domestic FC is not unique to US, it is pretty much the norm for airlines in the US. Day passes are offered for sale, but not a very good deal. US, UA, and AA (I think) charge for alcoholic drinks in their lounges. CO, NW, and DL generally do not, but CO does offer some premium wines that they charge for.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djk7
US offers red and white wine. Whether they try to limit your intake depends on the FA. I've had some that wouldn't let my cup get 1/2 empty before topping it off, and on in particular that seemed to think that more than one drink an hour was too much.

Not getting lounge access for domestic FC is not unique to US, it is pretty much the norm for airlines in the US. Day passes are offered for sale, but not a very good deal. US, UA, and AA (I think) charge for alcoholic drinks in their lounges. CO, NW, and DL generally do not, but CO does offer some premium wines that they charge for.
Is the red wine decent for being in a plastic cup?

Thanks, I didn't know this. Like I said, I'm new to flying domestic. I'm giving it 6 months until I decide if I should charter a jet or not. Since I've only taken one trip this year, I can't comment yet, but plastic cups and no lounge access seems ridiculous. I know the lounge in PHL that is *G - had an Envoy flight but an hour until the Envoy lounge opened - and I don't think there's even food in there, so I may as well be at the gate.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm giving it 6 months until I decide if I should charter a jet or not
If this is honestly a viable option for you, I think you already have your answer.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...How are the meals?
US website page has some more info with photos of meals, wine selections, etc.

I think the meals are much improved, tasty most times. Not a wine drinker, but I gather they're mediocre at best. All the usual booze you can handle (Glenlivet scotch, JD bourbon, etc)

It's not as much fun drinking wine/mixed drink out of a plastic cup, but I just pretend it's a picnic in the air
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
If this is honestly a viable option for you, I think you already have your answer.
I rather save the money, if possible. I'm flying common routes and I've been in small jets before and the only plus to them is really the home aeroport pickup and no security lines. There aren't even FAs. We'll see - I'll give it 6 months.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 6:00 pm

There are no coat closets on the A321 anymore, Tempe took them out a long time ago. If there are hangers they might offer to hang up a suit coat but as far as an overcoat goes you will probably be asked to put it in the overhead bin. All of the coats now go behind row 4 and having all of those heavy coats hung behind their seat prevents them from reclining.
US has used plastic cups in f/c for years so that's nothing new. The only flights that get glass are Envoy. They will have a choice of red and white wine, but no champagne. As long as you aren't driving a car once you reach your final destination then they should let you drink a fair amount of wine. Another question is, how well do you hold your liquor? Drinking on an airplane and drinking on the ground can be very different, some people notice a huge difference while others might not.
It will be hit or miss as far as getting a predeparture beverage on the 321 as well. Normally we have 2 f/a's at the boarding door so it's much easier to hang coats, get drinks etc. but if there's only 1 at the front door there's a pretty good chance you'll either just get a bottle of water right before the door closes or have to wait until you're in the air. That 1 f/a not only has to greet, but they also have to deal with dupe seat assignments, separated families, excess baggage and any number of other every day problems that are associated with boarding and they literally don't have time to do a pre-departure.
The food isn't bad on the transcons, the meal orders are taken front to back so if you're in the last row there's always a chance you won't get your first choice.
Sounds like you've got the chance to try several different carriers over the next few months, I hope you find one that meets all of your wishes.
Have a great trip and enjoy San Francisco!
Old Jan 17, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by kudzu
It's not as much fun drinking wine/mixed drink out of a plastic cup, but I just pretend it's a picnic in the air
Post of the day!
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
There are no coat closets on the A321 anymore, Tempe took them out a long time ago. If there are hangers they might offer to hang up a suit coat but as far as an overcoat goes you will probably be asked to put it in the overhead bin. All of the coats now go behind row 4 and having all of those heavy coats hung behind their seat prevents them from reclining.
US has used plastic cups in f/c for years so that's nothing new. The only flights that get glass are Envoy. They will have a choice of red and white wine, but no champagne. As long as you aren't driving a car once you reach your final destination then they should let you drink a fair amount of wine. Another question is, how well do you hold your liquor? Drinking on an airplane and drinking on the ground can be very different, some people notice a huge difference while others might not.
It will be hit or miss as far as getting a predeparture beverage on the 321 as well. Normally we have 2 f/a's at the boarding door so it's much easier to hang coats, get drinks etc. but if there's only 1 at the front door there's a pretty good chance you'll either just get a bottle of water right before the door closes or have to wait until you're in the air. That 1 f/a not only has to greet, but they also have to deal with dupe seat assignments, separated families, excess baggage and any number of other every day problems that are associated with boarding and they literally don't have time to do a pre-departure.
The food isn't bad on the transcons, the meal orders are taken front to back so if you're in the last row there's always a chance you won't get your first choice.
Sounds like you've got the chance to try several different carriers over the next few months, I hope you find one that meets all of your wishes.
Have a great trip and enjoy San Francisco!

I must say you are truly an ambassador of US Airways GW. Hats off to you ^
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
To confirm, you DO have access to any US Airways club or United RCC (or any other Star Gold lounge you can physically get to).

As for F, I would do so on UA over US. Much better service IMO. (Also consider CO F when they join the Star Alliance).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.