Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Asia trips via DM - Round Trip Only?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: US1
Booking Asia trips via DM - Round Trip Only?

On the heels of another post I made in which I asked how difficult it was to get open seats on *A flights using DM, I have a follow-up question...

I want to get to Burma (Yangon), which I can do via Bangkok on Thai Air, but I don't want to return to the US directly from Yangon. I want to do something like this:

• Outbound: CLT - BKK - RGN (Yangon)
  • Now I buy another ticket myself to get from RGN to other areas in Asia, and make my own way back to BKK
  • Return: BKK-CLT

I'm guessing that on an awards ticket, I can't do anything so fancy and that I can only book a RT between the same locations (CLT-RGN/RGN-CLT). If this is the case, I'd probably just reserve CLT-BKK flights and pay my own way to RGN from Bangkok.

Am I wrong? I'm hoping so!

Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: nothing but freebies
Originally Posted by Screaming Bagel
On the heels of another post I made in which I asked how difficult it was to get open seats on *A flights using DM, I have a follow-up question...

I want to get to Burma (Yangon), which I can do via Bangkok on Thai Air, but I don't want to return to the US directly from Yangon. I want to do something like this:

• Outbound: CLT - BKK - RGN (Yangon)
  • Now I buy another ticket myself to get from RGN to other areas in Asia, and make my own way back to BKK
  • Return: BKK-CLT

I'm guessing that on an awards ticket, I can't do anything so fancy and that I can only book a RT between the same locations (CLT-RGN/RGN-CLT). If this is the case, I'd probably just reserve CLT-BKK flights and pay my own way to RGN from Bangkok.

Am I wrong? I'm hoping so!

Thanks!
One stopover OR open-jaw is permitted for inter-region *A award with DM mile. I guess your routing is good to go.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 3:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edta450
One stopover OR open-jaw is permitted for inter-region *A award with DM mile. I guess your routing is good to go.
I agree. No problem with what you want to do. You're just doing an open-jaw, which you're allowed.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US1
Thanks, gentlemen - I love being wrong about stuff like this!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:31 pm

Beware of agents who don't know the rules. If someone tells you you can't do this, hang up and call back.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:02 pm

Open jaw allowed on DM award

I'm doing an itinerary just about the same as yours (with an open jaw), was easily booked via US agent on *A metal using DM award. However as my outbound was to a different region then my return I had to use the mielage required to the higher region (not a problem).

SAS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.