Search

This Airline Just Stinks! Delay Saga in Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:16 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
This Airline Just Stinks! Delay Saga in Seattle

This airline is just horrible in so many ways. Long story short - arrived at airport today for SEA-PHL-DCA flight. Flight went mechanical. Chaos. Told "if you have a connection you may as well go home and come back tomorrow to try again. . ." I made my own arrangements on UA. Stood in the line for over 2 hours waiting to get them to endorse the ticket. Woman agent at the gate told me "I don't really care what passengers have to say anymore; I'm just tuning them out. . ." Man agent at the gate said "if it says that time up there I'm going to just say yes so I don't have to hear from you people. . ."

Went over to UA and the agent from US had not given me the proper paperwork. Luckily, the UA agents in SEA are the best in the system and didn't want me to have to go back to US so they found a reservation and ticketed me on the all-nighter tonight.

Since I have 6.5 hours left at the airport I went to the USAir counter and asked to speak to a manager. He told me "well, this is the way that the industry is and you have agents here who have worked this for 30 years - everything is repetitive to them and they don't really care. You just need to realize that this is how the airline industry is these days and learn to live with it." This is the MANAGER. Unbelievable. When I asked who his boss was he said "I don't report to anybody. . ."

Needless to say, USAir has NO customer service at all imo. It's beyond pathetic.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:56 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
My first response was to tell you to call the Executive Office and file a complaint, but honestly it won't matter. They will tell you how awful your treatment was and give you a voucher and an apology, but in reality it won't change the issue. Some employees are just horrible at US Airways. Thankfully most are pretty good souls.

The Manager's reaction is completely unacceptable. Do what I have done and vote with your wallet. Don't fly them anymore. You will feel much better and if everyone does this hopefully the reduction in revenue will get somebody’s attention in Tempe.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Next time you might consider the direct SEA - DCA flight on AS. ^
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
And you can get CO miles on AS.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:38 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by ldsant

Since I have 6.5 hours left at the airport I went to the USAir counter and asked to speak to a manager. He told me "well, this is the way that the industry is and you have agents here who have worked this for 30 years - everything is repetitive to them and they don't really care. You just need to realize that this is how the airline industry is these days and learn to live with it." This is the MANAGER. Unbelievable. When I asked who his boss was he said "I don't report to anybody. . ."

Needless to say, USAir has NO customer service at all imo. It's beyond pathetic.
Please don't make blanket statements. US customer service in SEA stinks! That's like looking at you and saying I hate all passengers.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Is this new? Are they one of the 6 exceptions to the perimeter rule now?
http://www.metwashairports.com/reaga...faqs_about_dca

I know McCain helped get PHX an exception....so it would be easy for him to get to/from work.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:37 am

I do think the idea that someone would be a gate agent or a ramper for thirty years is part of the problem.
Also becuase of seniority you have poeple who absolutley hate their jobs but will not quit. This doesn't ususally happen in most Customer Service jobs. In fact in most CS indistry's managers can fire bad attitudes on the spot, you can't do that in this industry.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Is this new? Are they one of the 6 exceptions to the perimeter rule now?
http://www.metwashairports.com/reaga...faqs_about_dca

I know McCain helped get PHX an exception....so it would be easy for him to get to/from work.
Yes

SEA (AS), SLC (DL), DEN (UA, F9 x2), PHX (3x US), LAX (AS), LAS (US)
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:13 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

It was sold out. I ended up taking SEA-DCA on UA. As far as the person who said I'm making blanket statements - this is the fourth experience in the last year with USAir where it's been the same. May not be a huge sample but it's enough for me to realize that there is no sense of customer service with these folks.

I have sent a formal complaint to the DOT.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:10 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
To the OP -

You're a veteran FT'er and according to your profile you are a SEA area resident *AND* a UA 1K. If true, why even bother booking on US - especially when it involved a connection in PHL when you could get on a nonstop flight to IAD on UA and probably get the upgrade??! The operation there is a disgrace and, as a PHL resident, I have been out to SEA no fewer than 6 times this year. Not once did I opt for USAirways. AA and UA have been a fine alternative, even with the connections.

To the poster about McCain getting the PHX-DCA exemption to suit his own needs -

Yeah - I guess he petitioned for that just so HE could fly between those two cities and not any of the people he represents (i.e. the entire state of AZ). I guess landing slots and perimeter rule exemptions are something any city in the West should just overlook since it would otherwise seem like the Senator is pursuing his/her own agenda instead. So does that mean that a nonstop flight from SEA to DCA was petitioned for to serve only the Washington Senators' needs, too?

After all, McCain doesn't commute to DC so much that he alone would make the route profitable, and come January 2009 when he's innaugurated he'll be flying on a chartered Air Force VC-25 (aka Air Force One).
Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:19 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
To the OP -

You're a veteran FT'er and according to your profile you are a SEA area resident *AND* a UA 1K. If true, why even bother booking on US - especially when it involved a connection in PHL when you could get on a nonstop flight to IAD on UA and probably get the upgrade??! The operation there is a disgrace and, as a PHL resident, I have been out to SEA no fewer than 6 times this year. Not once did I opt for USAirways. AA and UA have been a fine alternative, even with the connections.
All flights were sold out or showing sold out when I went to purchase my ticket. USAirways had an option that worked for me. Have to say that I'm surprised at so many of the apologists here for USAir. I have always thought that if you purchase a ticket then you should have an expectation that in fact the airline is going to get you to where you're going. To be told by agents "oh well, too bad, come back tomorrow and try again" just seems incredulous to me. Anyway, I got to DC and am flying UA home so story is closed from my end.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ldsant
All flights were sold out or showing sold out when I went to purchase my ticket. USAirways had an option that worked for me. Have to say that I'm surprised at so many of the apologists here for USAir. I have always thought that if you purchase a ticket then you should have an expectation that in fact the airline is going to get you to where you're going. To be told by agents "oh well, too bad, come back tomorrow and try again" just seems incredulous to me. Anyway, I got to DC and am flying UA home so story is closed from my end.
You are correct, you should have the expectation of getting to your destination. I demand that of all the carriers I fly.

I will not make excuses for US, the truth is that the carrier has greatly declined, and employees are no longer empowered by management to make things happen for the customer.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Shares also doesn't make it happen
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:31 am

I can share the OP sentiments. USAirways is aweful. I'm forced to fly this carrier weekly from SEA to PHL (they're the only non-stop) and I can't tell you how disgusted I am with the airline. Yes there are good employees and I feel bad for how they're being treated but the lack of regard for their customers is very visible.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Just super.

I'm booked PHX-SEA mid Oct, and both ways have a tight schedule. Direct flight, but will be going straight from Sea-Tac to meeting going, and from airport to meeting coming home. What are the chances of me making those?

I have been directed, though, to spend the extra $ and take a taxi to hotel. That gave a concern, as usually it is budget, budget, budget.

I am on the 2:40 flt out of SEA, any chances of it being on time or should I change my flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.