FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Star Alliance Silver on US [master thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/863986-star-alliance-silver-us-master-thread.html)

ZbadhabitZ Sep 8, 2008 11:26 am

Star Alliance Silver on US [master thread]

Hi All,

I'm a bit confused in regards to how Star Alliance works, so perhaps someone can help me out real quick. I am a United Airlines Premier member, which also grants me Star Alliance Silver status. I will be flying on US Air this weekend, for the first time in probably a decade (I have a frequent flyer account with US Air, though no status since I haven't flown them since the 90s).

Does being a Star Alliance Silver member give me access to any special perks while flying on US Air, or is that not how Star Alliance works since I earned my status through United? I tried figuring this out on Star Alliance's website and Wikipedia, but I'm unclear as to whether I can flash my United Premier car (with the Star Alliance silver logo) at the US Airways gate and board with the First Class folks, or if they will think I'm an idiot because the card is from United and I'm flying on US Air?

Thanks in advance for the help!

iztok Sep 8, 2008 11:40 am

*A Silver gets you Zone 2 boarding status.

That is it.

violist Sep 8, 2008 11:41 am

No particular perks that I can think of, and I think you can
board in Zone 2.

me4yankees Sep 8, 2008 11:47 am

According to usairways.com:

Star Alliance Silver benefits:
* Awarded to Silver Preferred Dividend Miles members
* Priority Airport Standby - gives you the flexibility to change plans at the last minute when you don't have a reservation for a specific flight (not permitted for Star Alliance Award tickets; government restrictions apply in Brazil)
According to staralliance.com:

Star Alliance Silver Benefits
* Priority Reservations Waitlisting - when there aren't any seats left on your preferred flight, gives you priority should a seat become available.
* Priority Airport Standby - gives you top priority when standing by for a flight at the airport.

tourist Sep 8, 2008 11:54 am

If I have understood correctly, you don't have to pay the new fees for checked luggage on either UA or US if you are a Star Silver (or higher) member. (More important to me than boarding order.)

Dole Sep 8, 2008 11:59 am

The above two posters are correct; being a UA Premier will get you 'zone 2' boarding on US. That is it. In the past I used to be able to call US, remind them of my alliance status, and they would move me to an aisle or one of their better E seats. However, recent experience shows US will no longer give you a premium seat for being *Silver.

You will find a lot of people on FlyerTalk that bash US all day long, but I have always tried to refrain from the bashing. However, I can't resist this time...why are you flying US? I sure hope it's because they were the cheapest by a significant margin. Ever since I was called a "stupid summer flier," by a FA on a US transcon despite my *G status, I decided I would stick with UA metal unless US could undercut by enought $ to make it worthwhile.

Dole Sep 8, 2008 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by tourist (Post 10332431)
If I have understood correctly, you don't have to pay the new fees for checked luggage on either UA or US if you are a Star Silver (or higher) member. (More important to me than boarding order.)

Excellent point! However, I warn non-Dividen-Miles members with Star Alliance status to print out those rules about baggage exemptions and be ready to present to a US GA. I never would have believed that necessary, despite the posts in the UA forum saying that is necessary when flying US, to do this until a trustworthy coworker with *G status had to plead with a US GA last week to check his bag without the fee.

mherdeg Feb 6, 2011 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dole (Post 10332466)
The above two posters are correct; being a UA Premier will get you 'zone 2' boarding on US. That is it. In the past I used to be able to call US, remind them of my alliance status, and they would move me to an aisle or one of their better E seats. However, recent experience shows US will no longer give you a premium seat for being *Silver.

Is this still true? I heard from a UA Premier at DCA that they were in zone 4, and when they asked why they weren't boarding as a Silver, they were told "you're on an award ticket, so you don't get to board early despite being a *S".

aburgman Mar 14, 2011 10:33 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 15815019)
Is this still true? I heard from a UA Premier at DCA that they were in zone 4, and when they asked why they weren't boarding as a Silver, they were told "you're on an award ticket, so you don't get to board early despite being a *S".

I'm a UA 2P, and took four US flights in late Feb 2011. I was in boarding zone 2 every flight. All I did was include my UA MP number when booking.

It appears that I also earned a 25% mileage "bonus for elite members". ^

flymexico2010 Mar 14, 2011 3:22 pm

I will also fly first time on US Airways ever....on FLL-CLT-LAS-PHX-MEX one way segment. It is a mini MR for me, first one actualy.

As a *S with M&M I think I should get 2 free checked bags...otherwise I also read only bad things about US...including no entertainment system at all.

Is it really that way? at least overhead TV would be welcomed.

TheFlyingMan Mar 14, 2011 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by flymexico2010 (Post 16034228)

Nope, no IFE on domestic US in F or C.

flymexico2010 Mar 31, 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by flymexico2010 (Post 16034228)
I will also fly first time on US Airways ever....on FLL-CLT-LAS-PHX-MEX one way segment. It is a mini MR for me, first one actualy.

As a *S with M&M I think I should get 2 free checked bags...otherwise I also read only bad things about US...including no entertainment system at all.

Just done this mini MR and had some issues....fll-clt went fine but the clt las was delayed by more then 2 hours. I was rebooked on direct clt-phx flight with a good look not to get a middle seat and get a seat together for both of us.

Is was a little bit shorter...but booked in Y which gives 150% miles for M&M was ok for my, given that it was on the longest segment of my MR.

I was well treated as a *S and no issues with bags also.

As a first timer on US the seat comfort was ok, and the staff was also ok.I quess I also had good luck to be rebooked on a later clt-phx flight as this route seems to be really full even on a wednesday....

fkaway Jul 27, 2011 5:52 am

As a LH Miles&More FTL = Star Alliance Silver came back from US trip as first timer on a US Airways flight from Europe to Chicago via PHL and vice-versa, which I kinda like.

I mainly fly within Europe, but 3-4 times to the USA plus Asia, do you think it would make sense to change from Lufthansa's M&M to US Airways' Dividend Miles in order to gain Star Alliance GOLD status (US Airways = 50'000 miles/p.a., LH M&M = 100'000 miles/p.a.)?

Thx for clarification!

kudzu Jul 27, 2011 7:01 am

Originally Posted by fkaway (Post 16805731)
...I mainly fly within Europe, but 3-4 times to the USA plus Asia, do you think it would make sense to change from Lufthansa's M&M to US Airways' Dividend Miles in order to gain Star Alliance GOLD status ...

I've always believed in getting/retaining status in the airline you fly most, for the perks as well as the better service during irregular operations that inevitably occur when flying frequently. If I flew mostly LH, I'd be hesitant in leaving M&M for another program.

If your main goal is Star Gold, there are easier ways to achieve that status :)

For the last year or two, US has been selling Miles cheap - how long that would continue no one knows - and some FTers have set up Dividend Miles accounts for that purpose, redeeming Miles for wonderful award trips with Star Alliance partners in premium classes (there's a long thread in this forum). This may be an option for you too ...

Best wishes.

sbbutler93 Jul 27, 2011 9:11 am

Originally Posted by fkaway (Post 16805731)
I mainly fly within Europe, but 3-4 times to the USA plus Asia, do you think it would make sense to change from Lufthansa's M&M to US Airways' Dividend Miles in order to gain Star Alliance GOLD status (US Airways = 50'000 miles/p.a., LH M&M = 100'000 miles/p.a.)?

I don't think it would make sense...for example, 9 booking classes on Lufthansa grant 0% mileage on US Airways, 2 more only net 50% mileage. The classes that net zero on US Airways get at least 50% when flown thru M&M. Unless you're flying in F (and even then I'd reconsider seeing as you get 300% with M&M) to the US, I'd stay with M&M mainly because most of the intra-Europe flights will likely fall in the 0% unless you're flying a more expensive economy, business, or first.