Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by USPhilly
Welcome to FT Propofol you're input is certainly appreciated!
It's all fun. I am on a lay-over in PHL. I usually do only one-days. I'm out-of-sorts sitting in a hotel room. I don't claim to be any expert although I have flown for exactly half of my life (I'm super young, hehe). I will try to offer info as best as I know it--may be completely wrong!
Old May 19, 2008, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by USPhilly
Welcome to FT Propofol you're input is certainly appreciated!
Yes. Welcome!
Old May 19, 2008, 7:16 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by *Propofol*
1. 1-day out-and-back. DCA-BOS-DCA, pays 5+00. Worked by F/A numbers one (Ms. 50 years flight attendant of the year Betty), number two, and number three.
I've been on that flight - got to enjoy the awesome service during a 3 hr ATC delay

Welcome to FT!
Old May 19, 2008, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
I've been on that flight - got to enjoy the awesome service during a 3 hr ATC delay

Welcome to FT!
Yes, Ms. Bette puts us all to shame.
Old May 19, 2008, 7:27 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by flight62
Are you a customer with your own wheelchair? Afraid of it getting lost or damaged when it is gate checked?

If you do not want to place your wheelchair below, the airline is required to place it onboard. It will go on top of the seats in the last row of the a/c right side. There is a tarp that is placed on the seat and around the wheelchair. The chair is strapped in with seat belts and an extension.

Don't forget it you ever need to go to the bathroom, there is an onboard wheelchair provided.
Also another clarification this is only on mainline.... On Express it must go below...
Old May 19, 2008, 7:29 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
If anyone wants to know about express LMK...
Old May 19, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Mesa CRJ 200 Forced Seat Swap Question

flight62,
I was on a Mesa CRJ-200 (the really long planes with uncomfortable seats still in America West cloth) from PHX to PSP the other day and noticed a request that seemed odd. Hopefully you can help me out. The F/A went to a row "mid cabin" and told the left side passengers (F/A was facing the rear of the aircraft) that they had to swap seats with the right side passengers in the same row. Hmmmm. The left side passenger in the aisle seat was carrying a lap child and (I assume) seated next to his wife. It did not appear that the right side passengers knew them. It can't be weight & balance so it must have been something else.

I was thinking that only one side of the plane has 3 Oxygen masks per row and the F/A needed to get the passenger carrying the lap child to the side of the plane that had the extra mask in case of emergency? Am I right on this or did I miss something else. I hope the it wasn’t done just for F/A amusement!
Old May 19, 2008, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by coswellnc
flight62,
I was on a Mesa CRJ-200 (the really long planes with uncomfortable seats still in America West cloth) from PHX to PSP the other day and noticed a request that seemed odd. Hopefully you can help me out. The F/A went to a row "mid cabin" and told the left side passengers (F/A was facing the rear of the aircraft) that they had to swap seats with the right side passengers in the same row. Hmmmm. The left side passenger in the aisle seat was carrying a lap child and (I assume) seated next to his wife. It did not appear that the right side passengers knew them. It can't be weight & balance so it must have been something else.

I was thinking that only one side of the plane has 3 Oxygen masks per row and the F/A needed to get the passenger carrying the lap child to the side of the plane that had the extra mask in case of emergency? Am I right on this or did I miss something else. I hope the it wasn’t done just for F/A amusement!

On the CRJ, only one side of the a/c has three O2 masks... The F/A's are required to move them... Also on some A/C it may be because of the infant life vests are in certain places...
Old May 20, 2008, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coswellnc
Am I right on this or did I miss something else. I hope the it wasn’t done just for F/A amusement!
You are correct. She wanted amusement! Seriously, it was an O2 thing.
Old May 20, 2008, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cwe84
Also another clarification this is only on mainline.... On Express it must go below...
Yes. I am not a mainline snob, but my answers will for the most part be about mainline US Airways.
Old May 20, 2008, 3:37 am
Original Poster

An A319 is flying from MEX-CLT. Rare as it may be, there are no English speaking passengers. The flight is oversold. US Airways must allow Spanish speaking passengers in the exit row because 10 seats would go out open and 10 customers would be pumped in what would now be an oversell. TRUE or FALSE?

I'll let this ride a few days before answering.
Since a certain newbie gave it away already, the exit rows would have to go out empty if there were no English speaking passengers...I know unlikely, but just for S&G's.

US Airways is an English speaking carrier and is required to have passengers in those rows who speak English. They must be able to comprehend the English language. Not just be able to answer the question "Do you speak English?" The glassy stare usually confirms whether they can or can not comprehend.

That is why we are required to ask you if you speak English when at the exit row.
Old May 20, 2008, 4:02 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
So what is the difference between empty exit seat and someone who doesn't understand English in that seat? In both cases in worst case there is no-one to open exit doors?
Old May 20, 2008, 4:12 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by iztok
So what is the difference between empty exit seat and someone who doesn't understand English in that seat? In both cases in worst case there is no-one to open exit doors?
The FAs would be responsible for opening the exits, I assume!
Old May 20, 2008, 4:34 am

In a planned emergency, FAs will brief able-bodied passengers (e.g., military, law-enforcement, and crew). In an unplanned emergency, the designated FA will evacuate the windows. FAs have primary and secondary exit responsibilities specific to aircraft. Windows are considered secondary except in water evacuations. Having passengers who can not follow commands or instructions in the exit row will delay speedy exit. Survival rates are best when evacuations are completed within 90 seconds due to smoke inhalation.
Old May 20, 2008, 4:45 am

Since a certain newbie gave it away already,
Good Morning Pam Ann,

I will only assist as needed, my Queen

A million apologies for hijacking your thread. I keed.

Actually, it's rare for me to have any time to blog at all. I work full-time at the hospital and only fly 40.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.