Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Go Envoy FROM Europe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Go Envoy FROM Europe

This has been gnawing at me. Last month I purchased 2 Go Envoy upgrades from CDG to PHL for Mr b1513 and me. The US web site states:

GoEnvoy is available beginning 30 hours prior to departure on flights to/from Europe for $500. GoEnvoy upgrades are available the day of departure at the ticket counter in the airport.

I was charged 400 Euros which translated to $569.88 per upgrade plus French taxes. So, that means I was charged $139.76 (for the 2 upgrades not counting the taxes) over what the web site says I should have been charged.

Do I have a leg to stand on if I dispute this $139.76 overcharge?

Bobette
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Look at it this way, you saved more than $17 than if you had purchased them today!

Where they really take advantage of pax is for the drink/headsets by quoting Euro rates that work out to 50% more than USD prices.

But I think your post does a great service to other readers: word to the wise, with the dollar plummeting against nearly all currencies, use USD and not the local money to buy US goods and services.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GaryZ
Look at it this way, you saved more than $17 than if you had purchased them today!.
Well, you're right and the fact that I was able to get them at all was lucky. We upgraded both ways so for a total of $3460.00 for both tickets it was a good deal.

I do think, though, that the web site should not say $500 to and FROM
Europe because that is not the case. To Europe, it is $500.00. [B]From[/B Europe it is not (at least it was not for me).

All in all, the truth is that I would have spent the extra money for the Go Envoy anyway to fly first so I will forget about it.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:52 am

I think if you call the US service numbers at the 30-hour mark you should be able to purchase GoEnvoy for $500. Doing so @ the European airport is nothing but a rip-off.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by b1513

All in all, the truth is that I would have spent the extra money for the Go Envoy anyway to fly first so I will forget about it.
I didn't mean to imply you couldn't pry some concessions from them. I'm not sure why you used Euros instead of dollars, but if you were to present a reasonable letter to them stating that it is very confusing for 'any' passenger to be quoted an Euro amount which is not at least partially in accord with current exchange rates. Not everyone follows international monetary movements, although one might expect a major airline to do so, and then adjust their rates accordingly.

Might be worth a $100 voucher or so.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GaryZ
I'm not sure why you used Euros instead of dollars, but if you were to present a reasonable letter to them stating that it is very confusing for 'any' passenger to be quoted an Euro amount which is not at least partially in accord with current exchange rates. Not everyone follows international monetary movements, although one might expect a major airline to do so, and then adjust their rates accordingly.
Actually, I didn't know they charged in Euros until I got my credit card bill. I called US from France 30 hours out and they did the upgrade over the phone.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Gary Z makes a good point about the current disadvantage of traveling to Europe during this period of extremely unfavorable exchange rates against the USD.

I don't see that you can pick and choose between currencies. If you're originating your flight overseas at the airport, you gotta pay in the local currency which in this case is Euros ( I assume the OP calls the European contact number -- it would be interesting to see what happens if you call back to the US and transact the UG that way ). The question is just what does US charge European pax for a GoEnvoy UG? If they're operating on an equivalent currency basis, the cost should have been @ 360 Euros.Or do you also get hit with a service fee for calling in ?

The UK has raised the UG tariffs to Ł80 ( in addition to the departure taxes that you have already paid for your ticket ). Perhaps France has equally high tariffs. It certainly pops out at you when you get home and see the final cost along with the foreign currency fee that the credit card companies now extract from you.

In any case, it's quite a bite, but on a long flight, the Envoy seat is better than sitting in coach. Perhaps US should clairfy the website to reflect what happens from the European side.

Barry
Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:44 pm

There is a different charge for Go Envoy depending on where you are flying from. From the US it is USD500. From most European countries it is EUR400, from the UK GBP310. Separate fixed charges apply from Sweden (kronor) and Switzerland (Francs).It's unfortunate that the dollar is so weak at the moment, as US based pax feel the pinch.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 9:31 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by b1513
Well, you're right and the fact that I was able to get them at all was lucky. We upgraded both ways so for a total of $3460.00 for both tickets it was a good deal.
Tell you what's scarier: US thinks it can get 7 grand for a roundtrip in Envoy to CDG. Bet they sell a ton of GoEnvoy at that price point, since I don't see suckers lining up to pay it.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 6:45 pm

. . . There is a different charge for Go Envoy depending on where you are flying from. From the US it is USD500. From most European countries it is EUR400, from the UK GBP310. Separate fixed charges apply from Sweden (kronor) and Switzerland (Francs).It's unfortunate that the dollar is so weak at the moment, as US based pax feel the pinch.
Thanks for the info Warbo. So the lesson here is to think twice if you're from the US pondering a GoEnvoy UG from LGW as the dollar cost to you when you get home will be $620 at current exchange rates. And that doesn't include the Ł80 tariff.

We actually cancel a planned December visit to London because the trip would be so expensive . . . and also because I'm tired of the doublespeak and product confusion from Tempe. I'm gonna drop from CP to Gold for next year as we did not feel it worth flying the miles to even make platinum. As long as I've got *A gold and international lounge access, I'm OK.

It is kind of hard not being able to enjoy the west end and the dining however.

Barry
Old Nov 19, 2007, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
and also because I'm tired of the doublespeak and product confusion from Tempe. I'm gonna drop from CP to Gold for next year as we did not feel it worth flying the miles to even make platinum. As long as I've got *A gold and international lounge access, I'm OK.

Barry
I'm matching you too. Dropping from CP to Gold.

Although I don't fancy myself a US hater just yet...I want to see what they do with Envoy before moving to 'greener pastures.' But have you noticed - those more "green places" (for example CO) cost 50% more than US, if not more?

Sometimes, I think a cost vs. benefit type analysis might be in order...
Old Nov 20, 2007, 9:53 pm

. . . Although I don't fancy myself a US hater just yet...I want to see what they do with Envoy before moving to 'greener pastures.' But have you noticed - those more "green places" (for example CO) cost 50% more than US, if not more?

Sometimes, I think a cost vs. benefit type analysis might be in order...
Yeah, I hear ya Gary. As pissed as I am at US this year, 2008 is not the year for us to change our carrier to Europe. I too think that we should see how the new Envoy product turns out and compares to the field.

I was targeted for the Envoy survey and one thing I made clear to Tempe is that I would not tolerate a big price increase when the new Envoy product rolls in. My reason? I told them that as a loyal DM fllyer, I watch them jack up the Envoy prices and eliminate seasonal discounts on B fares etc. while continuing to fly their inferior business product. IMO, we've already paid the piper for some ( at times ) rotten TA service. But if US jacks the prices anyhow . . . well for me, there's Silverjet out of EWR for our London trips. Mind you, I don't wanna drive up there, but that would be the last straw for me. And I think that open skies might bring in some new possibilities as well.

Ultimately I don't want to change how we fly -- I'm a creature of habit. But if US gets greedy on this one, we're done with airline loyalty. Then again, patience is indeed a virtue, and I'm still tryin' to be a virtuous little boy. I doubt however that any of the airlines are going to be virtuous pricers in this cutthroat aviation game.

Barry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.