Wiki Posts
Search

Alcohol rationing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Gold
Alcohol rationing

A friend of mine recently returned from a trip to Las Vegas (out of CLT).
He complained to me that the FA refused to serve them more than 1 drink an hour - said that was policy and they stuck to it!
I haven't heard of this before - Is it true because it may effect his future trips
TIA
Old Sep 26, 2007, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Did you mean to post in a closed forum? Perhaps it is you who had a few too many...
Old Dec 1, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I was on an hour and 15 minute flight from CLT to LGA last night (11/30) and there were no limits on drinks. In fact, they flowed. Multiple, full party cups of wine, mixed drinks, etc. were served.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA-Gold; Avis-First; Hertz-PC;Marriott-Plat;
You must have had a blast to not have remembered how long that flight really is.
I'm on my way via same route Monday morning, actually.

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 1, 2007, 9:50 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Unless things have changed in the past months, the F/A is making the "policy" thing up, or extending his/her discretion to serve alcohol into a "policy," one of the two.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 9:54 pm

Prezactly. There is no rule outside of making sure the passengers are not too intoxicated. It is a judgment call. That's all.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 11:49 pm

Programs: Peasant at large
Not the first time this has come up and not unique to US either. I just did SEA-LAS-SEA over Thanksgiving weekend and the FA couldn't stop asking me if I wanted another (was having rum/coke SEA-LAS, Bailey/Coffee LAS-SEA). Had two in 30 minutes for both and had some water before another round. FA was the one that kept offering me another. Definitely a case of the OP's FA thinking she's the chief warden on Con-Air.

Some FAs just get a little overzealous about running a tight ship. They forget that it's not just about keeping ops in order. It's also customer service. Also, like I said earlier, FAs who think they are prison wardens don't only exist in US. Have seen this on NW, US and AS.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:11 am

This is SO true. This past summer I had one of the last early morning "full service" flights from CLT to MSP and, before getting off the plane, the flight attendant aware of this, gave me a bag full of vodka as I left the jetway. 12 bottles of the Finlandia in my pocket.
It is ALL about the FA and how you interact with them , really! Ya gotta treat them nice but, of course, that, doesn't always render anything so it certainly is a crap shoot!

Watching Olivier on TMC doing his "Hamlet" thing from back in the day.

Happy Holidays, again, everyone!
Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; Hilton Dimond; Marriott 3/3
From my experience of watching others (I'm not a big drinker myself) - this is a common practice for LAS, and never really happens anywhere else in the system.

It's not a policy that I am aware of... but it might be a good one for LAS, considering the things I've witnessed!
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:57 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
The is no limit to the amount of alcohol served, but with what happened in NM, I think some f/a's are paranoid about serving too much. The only place on the airplane where you can't get tipsy or drunk is the exit row. Infact, if you are drunk at the exit row, we are required to move you and call the alcohol snitch line. I'm still not sure what they exactly do.

Like politics, some are conservative and others are liberal. Now shut up and have another drink.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:02 am

Alochol snitch line? I have not heard of that before. Can you tell us more?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:17 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by mileshound
Alochol snitch line? I have not heard of that before. Can you tell us more?
There's a special form you have to fill out and a number you have to call within 24 hrs of filing. I have never used this as I let the drinkers in the exit row know in advanced that they can't drink alot in the exit row. US Airways considers someone drunk in the exit row and moving them as an inflight incident. These things are always written up. It is standard procedure. I just call it the snitch line because that's what it sounds like to me.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:57 am

Ha! Thanks for the interesting scoop!
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Back in the old days the most I ever did was 4 gin and tonics on CLT-GSP
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:46 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
THat's quick! Not so much for the drinking part, but for the FA to actually serve them!

JP
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Back in the old days the most I ever did was 4 gin and tonics on CLT-GSP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.