Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic 757 First Class to 24 Seats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Gold, Delta - Gold, US - Gold, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold
Domestic 757 First Class to 24 Seats

American Airlines is upgrading its 757's to 24 seats in First Class. UA is already at 24 seats in F/C which goes from door 1 to door 2 on the standard 757's. When will US put 24 seats in F/C and make the domestic 757's really feel like an exclusive cabin?

The press release is below for your review:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070424/datu030.html?.v=95

Regards,
Tim
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I saw the title of this thread and got excited thinking US had anounced they were adding seats. I should have known better.

US 757's used to have 24 F seats. They took them out and I don't think they will ever put them back. I could see adding 1 or 2 more rows because 8 F is ridiculous.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:27 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
8F is, indeed, ridiculous. As a pax, I'm much happier in row 8 on the aisle than I am in F on the 757. That's the truth. I always ask to be pulled from the UG queue on 757 flights and last year gave up an F seat on a PHL-FLL flight to the guy who showed up for 8C. I told him to take 2C and he was deliriously happy.

Little did he know I won.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Originally Posted by Global Express
UA is already at 24 seats in F/C which goes from door 1 to door 2 on the standard 757's.
I have heard that UA is bringing it down to 14, their original configuration, which will be lower than US transcon 321.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbtinme
Little did he know I won.
He obviously doesn't hang out on FT...
Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:06 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
To be fair, the 757's on AA are commonly referred to as "slave ships" for their complete lack of comfort. Going from F22 to F24 isn't a big deal, really. It's still far more than US offers.

Also, didn't US also say they were going to start using the 757 on more transcons following the Airbii reconfigs?
Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
HP 757s have 14 F seats:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame...ng_757-200.php

I'd think eventually there will be some standardization between the US and HP version.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:50 pm

Yes, the east 757's will actually go to 14 seats in F, however, I doubt that you will ever see 22 or 24 seats in our F cabins. We are still an LCC :-)
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:28 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Cactus1
Yes, the east 757's will actually go to 14 seats in F
This has not been confirmed anywhere. By that token, it's entirely possible they could reduce the West 757s from 14 to 8.....

It seems they are focusing on the transatlantic upgrades, followed by the 321 reconfig. It only seems logical that the 757 fleet standardization would be something on their mind, but to date they haven't given any indication as to which config they would (or if they would) standardize the 757's
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:00 pm

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
UGH - every thread seems to be about limiting options for FC pax. SO depressing. wouldn't it be refreshing to hear about an expansion of FC seating (plus the perk of the A320/321's making it across the country without refueling)? perhaps i'll see it happen someday (not holding my breath).
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
This has not been confirmed anywhere. By that token, it's entirely possible they could reduce the West 757s from 14 to 8.....
and the 8 would thank you, because HP's 14F is the worst F config of any major fleet type. 36" inch pitch.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Yeah the 14F on HP is nasty. I can't imagine paying for a flight in F to Hawaii and getting this as the product. Truly terrible for F class seating. It would not be a great tradeoff to gain 14F on the east 757's but have them configured with the seat pitch of the West 757's. Even if you do get the upgrade now because of 14F forget about using your laptop unless its tiny.

Sean
Old Apr 27, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
I agree, but even with 36" Pitch, the way to fix it is to get read of those "Monster seating" and put smaller but more comfortable F seating in the 757. I think thinner backs and slightly shorter seats may help the overall comfort. I think 37"-38" pitch makes a world of difference.. but isn't 36" the same as the new planes out east?

Originally Posted by stiphy
Yeah the 14F on HP is nasty. I can't imagine paying for a flight in F to Hawaii and getting this as the product. Truly terrible for F class seating. It would not be a great tradeoff to gain 14F on the east 757's but have them configured with the seat pitch of the West 757's. Even if you do get the upgrade now because of 14F forget about using your laptop unless its tiny.

Sean
Old Apr 27, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
I agree, but even with 36" Pitch, the way to fix it is to get read of those "Monster seating" and put smaller but more comfortable F seating in the 757. I think thinner backs and slightly shorter seats may help the overall comfort. I think 37"-38" pitch makes a world of difference.. but isn't 36" the same as the new planes out east?
You are right, a big part of the problem is the seat thickness. I guess all of US narrowbodies will eventually go to 36" since this is the west standard (and they seem to take the worse of the two). The 757 seems particularly cramped though because of the seats. On the upside I found the headrests on these seats very comfortable even without wings. On the downside I couldn't lean up on the window to sleep as there is to large of a gap.

I guess if I had to chose I'd take 14F per the West configuration and a better shot at an upgrade, but not by much.

FWIW the 757 I was on from DCA-PHX (which was continuing to Kona) reminded me of my first flight on Eastern as a kid. Probably the oldest POS I've been on in years. Anytime there are ashtrays in the arm rests (a lot of the West fleet) you know you are on something old!

Sean
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by stiphy
FWIW the 757 I was on from DCA-PHX (which was continuing to Kona) reminded me of my first flight on Eastern as a kid. Probably the oldest POS I've been on in years. Anytime there are ashtrays in the arm rests (a lot of the West fleet) you know you are on something old!

Sean
It reminded you of it.....because it was probably the same plane ! There are still some Eastern relics in the fleet IIRC...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.