Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BofA DEBIT Card Issue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
BofA DEBIT Card Issue

I didn't even know there was such an item until it was recently promoted, but in addition to having a US Credit Card, one may also obtain a Debit Card.

The issue is this... when I setup the card, I offered to provide them with my DM #. The reply was, you will provide that at activation. Well, I was never asked at activation, so I called to provide it today. The response was "BofA automatically opens a DM account for you and generates a new FF #." Isn't that great? I asked how to provide my current DM account number and was told that there is no way to do this - it automatically generates a new number for every new card.

The suggestion from BofA was to call DMSC and have THEM change the FF number on my BofA card. I haven't been able to get through yet (surprise), but I can visualize the response (no surprise).

Anyone have luck sorting this one out?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Whack. Always fun to get into finger pointing games. If the hold time is less, I'd try again with BOA, maybe just ask them to switch the DM# on your account without specifying why. If you're successful with that, and your "new" DM account has already accumulated miles, you should be able to merge those miles into your original account. See: http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...ountsform.aspx

Good luck
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I should clarify. My call was my fourth with BofA... the first 3 kept sending me to credit card services who could never find my account # because its a debit card.

I actually listened to the rep read her on-screen options to me.

"Change Card Features"
"US FF Account #"
"Need new Number, No Number Available"
"There's no place for me to put your number in"

I sympathize, somewhat, because I imagine that the system is setup wrong or the card was issued incorrectly from the start.

I do imagine that US can 'sweep' the miles into my account, but it will probably never be automated. We'll see.

Anybody have one of these cards???
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I have the Debit card and 2 credit cards. For all 3 cards I had to have them change the DM #. BofA can do it, it will take several calls to them. They will tell you to call US but don't. When you get an agent who knows what they are doing ask what DM # is on file. When they tell you write it down. Then have them change it to the correct number. After the change is made call US and have them combine the account B of A opened with your "real" account.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Yes I have one. I have had it for about 2 years. I had no problem getting it link up with my DM account.

I think with the merger of of the two airlines has made them forget a little about this card. It is not a very popular card and is never advertised. I think it is about to go away. It is the one of the few BofA cards that doesnt have the new Visa logo when you get a new one. I just got my new one last week.

It is not a US problem it is all up to BofA to get it done for you.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Just requested a BOA US Debit Card today - was nice to see this thread, else I wouldn't have used it (will be nice to earn some more miles now and will keep my DM account alive, since I'm pretty much only on Delta now, with only 4-5 *Alliance flights a year). Hopefully, since I did it online, my regular DM number will go on the account.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:15 pm

I have been using the BOA US debit card for about 5 years now. It is amazing how many miles I got from using it.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by safetymom
I have been using the BOA US debit card for about 5 years now. It is amazing how many miles I got from using it.
Yep, having all three means no matter when I spend money I get miles!!! I roll up at least a free ticket a year
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: US SP, Amtrak GR
I had the same problem when I used the BoA Debit card a few years ago, I didn't even notice that no miles were posting for a while as I really wasn't paying attention. When I got two DM cards in the mail one day I called US (pre HP) and the merged them quite easily no problems.

I don't know if things have changed much but I doubt you'll have any problems.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Called BofA today - 5th time. This time, the girl had no problem updating the information at all - done in 20 seconds.

Luck of the draw.

Now, we'll see how collecting my second account miles from DMSC goes. I expect the call wait time to be significantly longer. Should I call the Gold line, or can they not help with this?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Nicksta
Called BofA today - 5th time. This time, the girl had no problem updating the information at all - done in 20 seconds.

Luck of the draw.

Now, we'll see how collecting my second account miles from DMSC goes. I expect the call wait time to be significantly longer. Should I call the Gold line, or can they not help with this?
There's definitely an art to this roulette: whether reservation agents, wireless carrier cust. service, cable co., etc. if at first you don't succeed hang up and dial again. Although once with DL's overseas reservations, I got the same miserable dingbat 3 times in a row. Had to wait a few hours for a shift change.

As far as the account merge goes, unless there's some sort of urgency, I'd try the online procedure first, but that's me. http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...ountsform.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.