Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 hour enough time to get from curb to gate at RDU?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2007, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
1 hour enough time to get from curb to gate at RDU?

Won't be able to OLCI for return flight. Is 1 hour enough time to get from curb to gate at RDU on a Sunday? Or should I book a later, less convenient flight?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Are you checking bags?

Here are the rules for US: http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...ckintimes.aspx
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:03 pm

Programs: Lots O Metal
Originally Posted by DCAorBust
Won't be able to OLCI for return flight. Is 1 hour enough time to get from curb to gate at RDU on a Sunday? Or should I book a later, less convenient flight?
I’ve allotted that amount of time quite often, and have never had any problems, even without an elite security screening line. I even checked bags out of RDU…

I wouldn’t cut it much finer than that, though.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: None
If the main security checkpoint looks backed up, go to the one beyond the WN counter - to the left end of the terminal. It's usually pretty quick and actually dumps you out closer to the US gates.

Jim
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:13 pm

If "left end of the terminal" isn't descriptive enough, BoeingBoy is talking about the checkpoint just prior to baggage claims 4 & 5. If you follow signs for those it's a 3-5 minute walk from the US counters.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:35 pm

Programs: None
Thanks - that's the checkpoint that the crews always use because it is closer to the US gates and generally not backed up. We always enter the terminal on that end, though, so I had no idea what signage there might be.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by mtparadis
If "left end of the terminal" isn't descriptive enough, BoeingBoy is talking about the checkpoint just prior to baggage claims 4 & 5. If you follow signs for those it's a 3-5 minute walk from the US counters.
Thanks to both of you; very helpful in a pinch.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:42 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Thanks - that's the checkpoint that the crews always use because it is closer to the US gates and generally not backed up. We always enter the terminal on that end, though, so I had no idea what signage there might be.
It's almost where the old B terminal used to be. When I lived there in the late 80s, it was nice to just park outside, walk across the street and get to the US gate.

I second the recommendations BB and others have made. If you have your BP, go to the SW entrance and check in through there. I have done that before when flying out of RDU... it's super easy and drops you right at the end of the US gates. IIRC, there's a branch of A Southern Season right there too.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:02 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
RDU is usually rather quick and painless, so long as you get there when there aren't a whole boatload of flights leaving at the same time. I think that the A terminal is a little more sane than flying out of C. In any case, the security lines tend to move rather quickly (or so it seems).
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I've never had a problem with an hour at RDU when flying NW/DL (they're in the same terminal, so basically same times). Longest I've seen the main checkpoint is around 10 minutes, so I'd say an hour is long enough, especially with kiosks or preferred check-in. I'd just double check the TSA wait times at their website and keep in mind that it'll take no more than 5-7 minutes to check in.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
1 hour is plenty of time.

Will you need to park in the daily parking garage? If so, be aware that they've been periodically blocking off access to the sections nearest the A terminal with orange cones... forcing cars to drive over to the sections nearest the C terminal. Sometimes there's enough of an opening to drive through those orange cones and park closer to A, but if not, then you'll have another 5-10 minute walk from that side of the parking garage to the A terminal.

Good luck!

Last edited by chugg; Apr 15, 2007 at 9:33 am Reason: corrected spell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.