DM mangled names (Middle Initials)

Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
DM mangled names (Middle Initials)

Did the DM/Flight Fund merger mess up middle initials on DM accounts? My middle initial has been added to my first name field in my DM acct (with a blank middle initial field).

I just made my first booking using the new US web page and noticed that my middle initial was in my first name field (autmatically filled out):
[Xxxxx Q] [] [Zzzzzz] Where my name is Xxxxx Q. Zzzzzz (creative parents).

I left it as is, but now my passenger name on the confirmation is listed as XXXXXQ ZZZZZZ, with no space between my first name and middle initial. That's not my name! Can this be fixed? Should I bother?

The last itin I have from the old system has it as ZZZZZZ/XXXXX.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ralfp
Did the DM/Flight Fund merger mess up middle initials on DM accounts? My middle initial has been added to my first name field in my DM acct (with a blank middle initial field).

I just made my first booking using the new US web page and noticed that my middle initial was in my first name field (autmatically filled out):
[Xxxxx Q] [] [Zzzzzz] Where my name is Xxxxx Q. Zzzzzz (creative parents).

I left it as is, but now my passenger name on the confirmation is listed as XXXXXQ ZZZZZZ, with no space between my first name and middle initial. That's not my name! Can this be fixed? Should I bother?

The last itin I have from the old system has it as ZZZZZZ/XXXXX.
I had this problem. I was told that it is something that the Shares reservations system does. It does not separate first name, middle initial. You can call and have your middle initial removed from your online profile, although I have been afraid to change anything in my profile because I did not have profile access for the entire month of June!

The last time I booked on usairways.com, I deleted my initial prior to confirming my booking and so now it is not in my most recent reservation.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by me4yankees
The last time I booked on usairways.com, I deleted my initial prior to confirming my booking and so now it is not in my most recent reservation.
Since the system would see it as changing my first name, would removing the middle initial put my DM credit at risk?

Would it increase the chance of being honored with a SuperSecretStripSearch (one way tickets, name not matching FF profile, etc. etc.)?

[Thanks for the quick reply.]
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Since the system would see it as changing my first name, would removing the middle initial put my DM credit at risk?

Would it increase the chance of being honored with a SuperSecretStripSearch (one way tickets, name not matching FF profile, etc. etc.)?

[Thanks for the quick reply.]
I don't think so, since your DM number will be in the reservation.

As to the strip search, I do not think that having or not having a middle initial is a trigger...at least I hope not!

In the old system my middle initial never showed on my BP.

When this appendage of middle initial happened to me, I was more afraid of the xxxxq zzzz on my BP not matching my license or passport, which is xxxx zzzz or xxxx q zzzz. Would it not be more suspicious if my name on my ID was Helen A Brown and my BP said Helena Brown? But everyone here on FT told me not to worry about it, that it happens all the time.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Same thing happened to me and I guess I don't care as much as others. I just rolled my eyes and left in alone. I've had no problems with TSA, US, miles posting or anything of the like.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
I've actually been debating about posting about this. It does the same for me.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:07 pm

My old Flight Fund account also tacked my MI onto my first name, and I never had a problem with it. For my next flight (a *A booking through Air Canada) I'm "ALANMR" when I think they meant "MR ALAN".
Old Aug 1, 2006, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by me4yankees
I don't think so, since your DM number will be in the reservation.
Yeah, but if the PNR name doesn't match the DM file, you don't get credit, right? If John Smith has Jack Johnson's DM # in his PNR, Jack doesn't get miles.

If XXXX ZZZZZZ uses XXXXQ ZZZZZZ's DM#, is the mileage awarded (how flexible is the matching algorithm)?

In the old system my middle initial never showed on my BP.
Same here. I guess US's solution used to be ignoring the issue. Seems better than messing up names.

I'm trying to think of funny ways this could mess up: Jack Y. ___ to Jacky ___ (I know, spelling).
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:19 pm

Yeah, but if the PNR name doesn't match the DM file, you don't get credit, right? If John Smith has Jack Johnson's DM # in his PNR, Jack doesn't get miles.

If XXXX ZZZZZZ uses XXXXQ ZZZZZZ's DM#, is the mileage awarded (how flexible is the matching algorithm)?

Same here. I guess US's solution used to be ignoring the issue. Seems better than messing up names.

I'm trying to think of funny ways this could mess up: Jack Y. ___ to Jacky ___ (I know, spelling).
But if it is Jack N Thebox versus Jackn Thebox, I do not think that that would cause someone not to get their miles/segments!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
I had this problem years ago, then it seemed to go away. Then I noticed a few weeks ago it was back (either that or it never left and I didn't notice it!). I have gotten looks by TSA as my MI is "A" which could make it sound like a woman's name. But I've never had problems or issues with security or mileage credits (both US and UA).
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:56 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Ahhhh, I really don't want to step in the middle of this........

OK..... If you had a legacy DM account and NO HP FF account, there's a (non-scientific, just BS , but really low!) 99.99999999% chance you're OK on the merger.

If you had a HP FF account, you need to look at your card or statement. I have a common name and after problems with boarding the same flights with others with the same name, HP added my middle initial after a space after my first name. My two accounts did not merge, and spawned a third account. It took my IT data knowledge and insider knowledge to fix the problem. Oh, and about a month.

So haul out those old HP FF cards or statements and take a look John Smith, Jane Jones and Bob Schninkleberg!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:58 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Travels2mch
I h I have gotten looks by TSA as my MI is "A" which could make it sound like a woman's name.
Just make sure that "Walk This Way" or "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" isn't blasting out of your iPod when you go through screening, or you will have some " 'splaining to do Lucy! "
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I sent an email to the Chairmans email address, and the middle initial was gone in 48 hours.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Just to add some more info, I did not (to the best of my knowledge) have a legacy HP FF acct (unless mommy & daddy signed me up > 15 years ago).

More fun stuff: the old US system could deal with first names that had a space in the first names: the boarding passes had the full first name (XXXX XXXX) in them.

I can't email the Chairman's address (can I?); this flight brings me to lowly Silver status.

BTW: Does it (Silver status) happen immediately or in January?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:48 pm

My company travel agent (american express) does the same thing. My reservations come out as Debraa instead of Debra A. Never had a problem with it. I called them about it a few months ago, they said they are aware of the problem with their system.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.