Travel Vouchers Cannot Be Combined?

Old May 26, 2005, 8:12 pm
TMK
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Hyatt + Hilton Diamond
Travel Vouchers Cannot Be Combined?

I got two $150 travel vouchers from Consumer Affairs after a bunch of screw-ups on a March flight to the DR (one for me, one for the Mrs. TMK). Receiving them was a surprise. Never thought I'd actually try and use them.

Created a reservation and drove to PHL (1:20 OW for me) to ticket a flight for my wife (a $450 reservation) thinking that I could apply both travel vouchers to the PNR (hers and mine, it says the "voucher maybe transferred once through US Airways agent at time of ticketing"). Get to the airport and I'm told by the ticket agent that the 'policy' is that they can only apply one voucher per reservation. Thinking there is no way she can be right, I ask to speak to supervisor (because of course, before getting in the car I read the fine print on the certificate both directions -- says nothing about not being combineable).

So, the Supervisor confirms that the ticket agent is right (and now I'm fuming, but not at them, they are really just pawns here). I ask him to show me on the certificate where it says that they are not combineable. He says he can't, it's just "company policy" that "came down a few months ago." I express my frustration saying that if there was something buried in the fine print that said "not combineable" I wouldn't have wasted my time driving down -- he said to call Consumer Affairs (but there was nothing he could do).

It's ironic that I wasn't really that upset about the flight in March that "earned" me the travel vouchers -- but now I'm livid when I try and "use" them and I get to back to Consumer Affairs. Oh joy. I'd like to meet the rocket scientist that came up with the "rule" that only adds fuel to the folks that are already upset!

Has anyone else faced this and if so, what was the result?

Thanks
Old May 26, 2005, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by TMK

So, the Supervisor confirms that the ticket agent is right (and now I'm fuming, but not at them, they are really just pawns here). I ask him to show me on the certificate where it says that they are not combineable. He says he can't, it's just "company policy" that "came down a few months ago."

Has anyone else faced this and if so, what was the result?

Thanks
Exactly as you say. I was traveling and held a reservation and when I was at CLT for a flight I went to ticket and use 3 vouchers for 2 tickets. I was told sorry only one voucher per ticket. And I heard the same thing "you used to be able to combine as many vouchers as you wanted, but now only one -- this is a new policy started sometime this year." I wasn't thrilled, but knew I could easily use the other voucher. So for me not a big deal, but yes it is a little annoying.
Old May 26, 2005, 8:33 pm
TMK
Original Poster

Just add another bullet

. . . in the fine print . . . "not combineable" = the avoidance of a lot of confusion and aggravation.

It will be curious to see what Consumer Affairs says when I ask for compensation for my time and mileage both directions.

But it's nice to know I'm not a universe of "one".
Old May 26, 2005, 9:47 pm

Actually, the agent was incorrect. The vouchers are combinable, however you can only use one voucher per ticket. To combine them, you must contact Consumer Affairs with the voucher numbers. They will then void the old vouchers and issue a new one by mail. However, I do not know if they will combine vouchers issued in different names.
Old May 27, 2005, 6:39 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
There's a way around it in the computer.... agents at my local airport somehow got the system to combine two $150 vouchers for me to pay for a $200 ticket, then issue a $100 voucher as change. The supervisor was telling the agent to just keep pushing whatever entry key until it took it.
Old May 27, 2005, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
I just called to ask as I have 4 travel vouchers - mostly rebates for fare changes issued as credit. I was told I could use up to 4 in one reservation. maybe a cash credit is something different - but it looks like a regular travel voucher printed on regular ticket stock.
Old May 27, 2005, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
The confusion here is the *type* of voucher. Vouchers issued as a result of residual dollar amounts from prior ticket exchanges (e.g., MCOs) can be combined, up to 4 per ticket. These are essentially "cash" and can be used as such as long as it's travel-related, for taxes, change fees, new tickets, standby fees, etc. Vouchers issued as a courtesy or customer service gesture in general cannot be combined. NW has the same policies in this regard.
Old May 27, 2005, 7:59 pm

3 weeks ago they combined 2 VDB $$$ vouchers for me. The ATO had to do a lot of typing, but they got it done.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:57 pm
TMK
Original Poster

Response from Consumer Affairs

Dear Mr. TMK:

Thank you for contacting us about the travel vouchers you are holding. We value customer feedback and I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

I am sorry to learn that you are dissatisfied with our ticketing policies that only permit you to use one discount voucher toward the purchase of any ticket. Your frustration and disappointment are understandable. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate management personnel in our Pricing Department for internal review. Many of the positive changes in our customer service policies and procedures have come as the direct result of customer feedback.

Thank you, Mr. TMK, for contacting us to share this experience. We appreciate your patronage and hope your future flights will be completely satisfactory.

Sincerely,
[Name Removed]
Executive Staff
US Airways Office of Consumer Affairs
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA
The website is now clear that they are combinable!

http://www2.usairways.com/awa/conten...transport.aspx

Combining Discounts:
May be combined with other Transportation Vouchers or Gift Certificates to purchase one ticket.
:-:
Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX PLAT
Maybe a work around would be to book two one-way tickets. Different numbers different PTR records, and under the "NEW" usairways system, it doesnt seem that it increases the overall cost of the ticket?

fryfrye
Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:04 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by fryfrye
Maybe a work around would be to book two one-way tickets. Different numbers different PTR records, and under the "NEW" usairways system, it doesnt seem that it increases the overall cost of the ticket?

fryfrye
This is an old thread I have resurrected while searching that same information for myself. My previous post stated that the website now make it clears that they are combinable. No more need to make multiple bookings.

and btw, welcome to FT!
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: SW, MR, CHASE
It's good to hear that at least they can be combined. I have one $150 US Air Voucher for myself and one $150 voucher for my wife. I'm assuming that my wifes voucher and mine are combineable? However, I am still not sure what to do with them.

We don't regularly fly US Air. Can I transfer them or convert them into anything?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by ccerts
It's good to hear that at least they can be combined. I have one $150 US Air Voucher for myself and one $150 voucher for my wife. I'm assuming that my wifes voucher and mine are combineable? However, I am still not sure what to do with them.

We don't regularly fly US Air. Can I transfer them or convert them into anything?
sell em on ebay
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Smile Experience with HP Vouchers

US has been having a little confusion with how to apply HP vouchers. I took one to the counter at FLL this week to book a flight on US metal. After several minutes of confusion and key punching the supervisor and agent were able to find a way to make it stick. That was nice as I was afraid that they might try to not honor the HP voucher on a US flight.

Nice to know some things are working well in the merger. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.