Munich to Philidelphia

Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Munich to Philidelphia

Does anyone have any experience with the Munich to Phii flight #15 in First Class?

We may be taking this flight and would appreciate some insight, or other suggestions!

Thanks

Dash
Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dash
Does anyone have any experience with the Munich to Phii flight #15 in First Class?

We may be taking this flight and would appreciate some insight, or other suggestions!

Thanks

Dash
Insight #1: Philadelphia is spelled with two a's and two i's.

Insight #2: US Airways discontinued first class on their transatlantic flights some time ago, I think around 9/11 but I am not sure. They still offer business class which they call Envoy Class. It's way better than coach but not as good as it used to be. No way I'd pay $6000 for an Envoy RT, but if I get a free upgrade I am a happy camper.

Insight #3: The quality of the experience depends on whether it is on the Airbus 330 (better) or the Boeing aircraft (worse). The Airbus 330 has video on demand. Row 1 on the 330 was the old first class and offers lie flat seating with privacy walls around it. Reserved for people flying on paid envoy and CP's with upgrades. The best seat in the house.

I just checked US web site and right now they are operating a Boeing 767 MUC-PHL. Not sure if that is year round or not. I'd be tempted to fly MUC-FRA-PHL so I could fly on the 330.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 3:10 pm

Programs: SQ Solitaire PPS AA nothing short of 1m miler US CP, HH Diamond,
Yes,
I have been on this bird at least 30 times.
Unfortunately they never operated the A 330 on this route.
Therefore even when they had first class in 1999-2002 if I remember correct there was none on US 15.
Envoy is all there is and on the B 767.
I owe this plane a lot of transatlantic crossings but it has become pretty old by now.
So if you can try the A 330 and go via FRA.
Due to convenience I am using the MUC flight which still is a decent ride in Munich. Actually early next week I will be on it.
Service is pretty ok and although the seats are not as good as in the airbus they are fine for the 9 hour hop to PHL.
They are comparable to most competitors beside the ones who have flat beds. They are better than the old LH seat still in most planes in business.
Unfortunately the entertainment is worse than in economy on the bus due to the lack of on demand fun.
But hey I read, sleep and work on planes most of the time or do the old fashion watching the earth from 30.000 feet.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:56 am

Programs: US Gold, UA Silver
As EuroUSAir wrote, US doesn't fly the Airbus to Munich, only to FRA in Germany. While the Airbus is definitely much nicer, I like the Munich airport much more than FRA. So, it's a toss-up as to which airport I choose to fly into.

Envoy is OK, but not great. It definitely beats coach (what doesn't?), but I wouldn't pay a premium for it. If you want to burn some miles, it's well worth it.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Since the orginal poster is in Colorado I assume he was wanting to connect in PHL to take the US flight to MUC. If I had to connect, I would connect in IAD and take the new LH IAD-MUC flight. This flight will have the new flat bed Business Class seats when it begins service May 2. Better service than US, better seat and no further connection in FRA as suggested by others to avoid the US 767. Fares should be the same or if you are planning on using miles you can claim a *A award through US.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH DMD, SPG PLT, Hertz 5*
I am also based in DEN and just bought two *A Award Tickets (using UA MP Miles) on USAir, DEN-PHL-MUC/Milan-PHL-DEN. According to my tickets, I am in F on the DEN-PHL/PHL-DEN legs and in "Connoisseur" on the PHL-MUC/Milan-PHL route on the 767. I checked out at SeatGuru.com and didn't see connoisseur class available on the 767. What can I expect on this? Envoy class? Any recommendations on seats for someone who has never flown USAir metal?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by eurousair
Unfortunately they never operated the A 330 on this route.
I did. Last Year in September.
they switched the 767 to A330 ( normally going to Barcelona but not quite sure about this) for a couple of weeks during the Oktoberfest time.

But if they do offer 767 to MUC.... I would always go to FRA with A330
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:53 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by jcasner
I am also based in DEN and just bought two *A Award Tickets (using UA MP Miles) on USAir, DEN-PHL-MUC/Milan-PHL-DEN. According to my tickets, I am in F on the DEN-PHL/PHL-DEN legs and in "Connoisseur" on the PHL-MUC/Milan-PHL route on the 767.
Connoisseur class - that's funny. It's been ages since UA branded their business class product with that name.

Since you got your tix through UA, I guess they just haven't updated the reservation system to reflect the branding. So, obviously that's a simple misnomer, you will be in Envoy class from PHL-MUC/MXP-PHL. Both are on the 767 which is fine IN ENVOY. Not coach, though. Some people even contend that the Envoy seats on the 767 are more comfortable (softer) than those on the A330. You will have the same meal service as the A330 and very similar seat pitch (55" vs. 60"). The only thing lacking will be the on-demand video. While you will have a personal TV, it plays a few channels that repeat a few times so you can watch the programming they are offering, but you can't pause, rewind, etc. like the A330 offers.

But that's no reason, in my opinion, to switch to fly the A330 via FRA when I can get to my destination faster. Coach, on the other hand....I'd do it. The 767 coach seats are downright crappy and the big screen in the front of the coach cabin is impossible to view for even someone with 20/10 vision. There, the A330 makes all the difference in the world.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:36 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Us 15

This flight is operated on the 767, however to go with whomever did post this, that during Oktoberfest they switch to a A330 for the extra passenger load. They immediately switch it ack as soon as its over, or a maintenance issue comes up.

It will be loaded in their system as a 767, until enough tickets are sold to bring in the A330. During Oktoberfest last year, it was switched 9 days ahead.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: UA, US, IB. Low man on the totem pole again.
Red face

Originally Posted by Gamble1294
This flight is operated on the 767, however to go with whomever did post this, that during Oktoberfest they switch to a A330 for the extra passenger load. They immediately switch it ack as soon as its over, or a maintenance issue comes up.

It will be loaded in their system as a 767, until enough tickets are sold to bring in the A330. During Oktoberfest last year, it was switched 9 days ahead.
I would choose to go through FRA on the Airbus. I have flown the 767 to MUC a number of times. The aircraft is rough. Molding faling off the walls, torn carpet around the seats, broken lavatories on occasion... you get the idea. Another good option would be to connect at IAD and fly on UA metal in E+.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by joshua-bwi
I would choose to go through FRA on the Airbus. I have flown the 767 to MUC a number of times. The aircraft is rough. Molding faling off the walls, torn carpet around the seats, broken lavatories on occasion... you get the idea. Another good option would be to connect at IAD and fly on UA metal in E+.

I have flown between LAX and FRA/MUN.. in LH business and prefer that over US Envoy... you can usually check to see if you have the new seats (I did both times)... they lie flat and very good service...

Just my 2 cents from the US - Germany
Old Mar 1, 2006, 1:46 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by joshua-bwi
...The aircraft is rough. Molding faling off the walls, torn carpet around the seats, broken lavatories on occasion... you get the idea.
If you are on a newly painted 767, the interiors have been spruced up. Not rennovated...just cleaned up and given some attention so those things mentioned are not as prevalent.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH DMD, SPG PLT, Hertz 5*
Does Envoy on PHL-MUC have personal IFE?

What about Milan-PHL?

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:48 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If you're in J or F on LH metal (or can get there), it's a pretty good deal. Power ports, ptv's, and depending on the route internet access for $30. Makes the flight "fly" by even if the speed isn't the greatest.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by jcasner
Does Envoy on PHL-MUC have personal IFE?

What about Milan-PHL?

Thanks!

Both flights you have a personal IFE in F. (Both 767 and A330)

In coach its just one movie (Personal IFE if on the A330)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.