Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
I wonder how the Million mile program will work out with the merger. will balances from US add to the count to MM or will it be the current rules and the just treat them like RDM and not count towards MM status.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG
This has been a disaster for the business traveler. With the US Airways c-suite-team taking over the responsibilities of pricing, marketing, operations, service, and product that means that this is a US Airways acquisition.

If you had asked me 3 years ago what my two least favorite airlines were I would have said US Airways and Continental. Flash forward and the only remaining airlines are US Airways, Continental, and Delta (who has since completely destroyed their FF program).

Delta's empty husk of a FF program is of no use to me which means my two most hated airlines are my only two options. It's really a shame how this played out for the business traveler.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:57 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

If they don't restart PHX-NGO, I'll be majorly disappointed.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by BlueEyedDevil
This has been a disaster for the business traveler. With the US Airways c-suite-team taking over the responsibilities of pricing, marketing, operations, service, and product that means that this is a US Airways acquisition.

If you had asked me 3 years ago what my two least favorite airlines were I would have said US Airways and Continental. Flash forward and the only remaining airlines are US Airways, Continental, and Delta (who has since completely destroyed their FF program).

Delta's empty husk of a FF program is of no use to me which means my two most hated airlines are my only two options. It's really a shame how this played out for the business traveler.
2014 will most likely be my last year of Elite status. Enough is Enough. Business Travellers have endured too much.. and the Airlines think we will keep flying them no matter what they do. I will still fly but my loyalty should not be taken for granted.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA
Oh boy... Let's hope Agony Air does not ruin the good times over @ AA..

Originally Posted by DCann
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
...means that this is a US Airways acquisition.
What part of any of the announcements led you to believe that this wasnt a US Acquisition...

Physically where the headquarters is located has no bearing on who is in charge. After all, US is - legally and financially - acquiring AA.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by bkafrick
What part of any of the announcements led you to believe that this wasnt a US Acquisition...

Physically where the headquarters is located has no bearing on who is in charge. After all, US is - legally and financially - acquiring AA.
UA proved that. CO is running it despite still being a Chicago airline.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire

And if the govt. had kept out of it, and didn't try to pick winners and losers, we would've had a CO/NWA merger years ago. 2 airlines that maintained some semblance of customer service.

Of course, no one knows. A CO/NWA may have ended up destroying customer service just as badly as DL/NWA did. (Hard to believe, but maybe)

Still, I'm not nearly as gloomy as some of you. Considering what bad shape AA was in, what better outcome were you hoping for? Put another way: think of how bad the AWA balance sheet was when Doug Parker arrived: one small step ahead of the grim reaper. I'm more willing to give Parker a shot at turning around AA than anyone else in the current crop of CEOs.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by jn in ca
And if the govt. had kept out of it, and didn't try to pick winners and losers, we would've had a CO/NWA merger years ago. 2 airlines that maintained some semblance of customer service.

Of course, no one knows. A CO/NWA may have ended up destroying customer service just as badly as DL/NWA did. (Hard to believe, but maybe)

Still, I'm not nearly as gloomy as some of you. Considering what bad shape AA was in, what better outcome were you hoping for? Put another way: think of how bad the AWA balance sheet was when Doug Parker arrived: one small step ahead of the grim reaper. I'm more willing to give Parker a shot at turning around AA than anyone else in the current crop of CEOs.
I'm sure they'll turn around the balance sheet but I fear it will be one 28-inch-Y-seat-pitch airplane with 4 business class seats at a time.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by bkafrick

Yes the US team will be running the new american but it's just legally and financially UNTRUE it was an acquisition. Far from the case. Parker played the game better no doubt. But lack of understanding to call it in any form an acquisition. AA creditors get over 70% of the stock in the new entity.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:20 am

I'm sure they'll turn around the balance sheet but I fear it will be one 28-inch-Y-seat-pitch airplane with 4 business class seats at a time.
Come on. US has even gone as far as installing F cabins on most of the Express fleet - I think it's just some CRJs that don't have it now. But to echo what others have said, what outcome were you looking for? Airlines aren't making money. Whatever they were handing over to their elites wasn't fixing it. In the meantime, US is pretty healthy and still probably has the best upgrade rate of any of the domestics.

Maybe this is the perspective of a bottom tier elite who's happy to have anything (me), but what are you really giving up here? US has 4 tiers with solid benefits. The only thing I like better on the AA side is using certs/SWUs instead of automatic upgrades, just so you can prioritize and have a better shot.

If there's anything I'll miss, it's the US *A award chart, but life will go on.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:31 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
As an AA elite I certainly haven't been excited about the upcoming merger... but I doubt you'll find many AA elites who, while agreeing that elite benefits and the FF program on AA have been outstanding, won't acknowledge that over the past decade, AA's management basically drove the airline into the ground and really didn't seem to have any plan to turn it around other than their ridiculous strategy of 5 cornerstones and leaving a good deal of international flying to their partners.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
Exclamation What Areas of AA would you like to see filter to

US Air. AA does have some programs, customer service practices that are not only worth preserving - but could be welcome additions to US Air flyers.

What are these?

I would have started a new thread -
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by treznor
How do mergers typically affect co-branded credit cards?
When Northwest and Delta merged, the surviving card was AmEx, not US Bank. WorldPerks cardholders kept their US Bank accounts but were moved to a generic rewards card.

Last year, in a move that may or may not have been related to hedging its bets about losing the US Airways affinity business, Barclays introduced a generic travel awards card called Arrival. I would guess that US cardholders will be switched over to Arrival.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
As an AA elite I certainly haven't been excited about the upcoming merger... but I doubt you'll find many AA elites who, while agreeing that elite benefits and the FF program on AA have been outstanding, won't acknowledge that over the past decade, AA's management basically drove the airline into the ground and really didn't seem to have any plan to turn it around other than their ridiculous strategy of 5 cornerstones and leaving a good deal of international flying to their partners.
Partner flying is better for me as long as I get low fares and 100% mileage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.