Wiki Posts
Search

Did US recognize my Star Silver Status?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Did US recognize my Star Silver Status?

I am a LH Frequent Traveler (Star Silver). I booked a transcon flight and connecting flight with US and got automatically put in one of the first economy rows and all flights. This has never happened beforer when I had no status. Is there a chance US Airways recognized my status (I entered my LH Miles&More number) and put me in the front rows or was this just luck?

Last edited by flyingfkb; Aug 31, 2012 at 2:25 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Luck, although if you ask nicely at the gate, many GA will give you a preferred seat based on the polite ask rather than the *S status. I credit my US flying to UA and so am listed as *G on US flights. Presuming there's availability, have only had one GA actually refuse.

As a reminder, *A status, including *G is largely about pre-boarding amenities such as premium security, earlier boarding and the like. Not about UG or seating.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage Hotels, Marriott
My rather limited experience is that when flying a ticket issued by another carrier but operated by US Airways, you are often assigned standard seats in the front section of the Y cabin which US normally attempts to upcharge for as "preferred".
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Having *S with a partner carrier only "officially" gets you a free checked bag and and wait list priority on US. For anything else, YMMV.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:54 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Having *S with a partner carrier only "officially" gets you a free checked bag and and wait list priority on US. For anything else, YMMV.
That's correct. However, US somehow has its computer programmed to assign random "preferred" seats at no charge when the reservation is associated with *A elite status. Note that one cannot change to another "preferred" seat online without being charged, though.

LAX
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
If you have non-US status, you will automatically be assigned preferred seats on US flights during booking for free. If you choose a seat during booking, you will not be given a preferred seat for free. You cannot change to another preferred seat.

I got confused the other day, and left out my seat assignment on a UA flight. I got assigned a seat in the last row instead of the forward seat I was expecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.