MoveUp Policy for a US Newbie

Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, National Executive Elite, Hotels.com Gold
MoveUp Policy for a US Newbie

Hi everyone, I'm an AA Gold and will actually be switching a great deal of my flying to US over the next couple months (as it seems the US flight options are a little better for my schedule and the US/AA merger is making it easier for me)

One question about MoveUp for elites on US (which was Announced today that AA Golds would be able to utilize)

I am currently booked LAX-CLT-ORF departing LAX at 1235a and arriving ORF at 1020a

Will US let me move up to a LAX-CLT-ORF routing departing LAX at 1055p and arriving ORF at 841a if there is space available on both flights?

I am confused, as this flight departs (and arrives) only 1 hour 40 minutes earlier (within the 6 hour window), but is not technically departing on the same day.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by DrinkRaiderade
...Will US let me move up to a LAX-CLT-ORF routing departing LAX at 1055p and arriving ORF at 841a if there is space available on both flights? ...
Yes, in my experience.

A quirk with the US system is that the 12:35am flight is considered the last flight of the night (rather than the first flight of the morning). So it is too on the US website ... the 12:35am flight would appear the day before (with notation that it leaves the next day).
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: None
My friend kudzu is absolutely correct and if you run into an agent who won't let you MoveUp to the earlier flight just look for another agent.

As you mentioned, MoveUp does have a wrinkle in the case of routing like yours with a connection. Since MoveUp gives a seat assignment - it's basically like changing flights without the big change fee - both segments have to have seats available for you to be able to MoveUp.

If, for some reason, you can't MoveUp because the second segment doesn't have a seat available you can stand by for the earlier LAX departure. Then stand by for the earlier 2nd segment when you get to CLT.

Jim
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, National Executive Elite, Hotels.com Gold
Thanks for the information! And I take it from what you both said above that this has to be requested at the airport? Or can a phone agent process this change?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Correct, has to be done at the airport at either the ticket counter (where a kiosk may also offer it), the gate or at the club if that airport has one. Presumably this is to ensure you're actually there to make the earlier flight, but the policy has been this way for a long time.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
My friend kudzu is absolutely correct and if you run into an agent who won't let you MoveUp to the earlier flight just look for another agent.

As you mentioned, MoveUp does have a wrinkle in the case of routing like yours with a connection. Since MoveUp gives a seat assignment - it's basically like changing flights without the big change fee - both segments have to have seats available for you to be able to MoveUp.

If, for some reason, you can't MoveUp because the second segment doesn't have a seat available you can stand by for the earlier LAX departure. Then stand by for the earlier 2nd segment when you get to CLT.

Jim
A few months ago, I did a Move-Up on the first segment of a connecting trip, and requested to keep my original connecting flight. It was allowed, no problem, the agent even commented it was easier for her than moving up both legs.

The point is, they should be able to confirm the move up for the LAX departure, rather than having to stand by for it. Then stand by for the CLT departure if no availability.

Last edited by swag; Jan 8, 2014 at 6:06 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I flew SAN-CLT-PHL-BDA back in October and didn't make an upgrade on the CLT-PHL leg. I asked at the lounge if there was space on the earlier CLT-PHL (first flight of the day, that I wouldn't have made if my SAN-CLT had not been early) and was told there were only 30 people on it and first was wide open. The flight was due to leave in 20 minutes but I made it with ease. I then had more time to have a snooze in PHL before getting my booked flight to BDA. So anything's possible.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by swag
A few months ago, I did a Move-Up on the first segment of a connecting trip, and requested to keep my original connecting flight. It was allowed, no problem, the agent even commented it was easier for her than moving up both legs.

The point is, they should be able to confirm the move up for the LAX departure, rather than having to stand by for it. Then stand by for the CLT departure if no availability.
Yes, this. I MoveUp most when flying through PHX to SNA and have dinner with the family and create a nice layover. I never try to move my second leg.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.