Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange situation - F seat not needed, can I give it away

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: US CP; SPG P; Hyatt P; HH S
Rather than all the acting, couldn't you simply ask the agent at check in to swap your seats? Then you're all set - she's in F and you're throwing away your BP. Particularly if you're on the same PNR, it seems this might be relatively simple to accomplish at the airport (if not before on a Preferred line).
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:47 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Several years ago, I was upgraded, but a female co-worker who I was traveling with was not, and so I just gave her my FC seat; once we were on board, I just told her to take it. She did. There were no issues.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by mjfink
I sure as he** hope not. I know that they will cancel you if you miss a leg in a multi-hop, but I've never heard of them cancelling you for having 2 tickets before. This whole thing is a legitimate problem, I bought the PBI->PHL as a roundtrip ticket and fully intended to fly it. Then I fought out I needed to be in Dallas on Monday and bought another ticket PHL-DFW-CLT-PBI. Not trying to game the system at all with my purchases of these tickets, just trying to game it and get my wife the better seat that I paid for when booking.

In hindsight, I should have put the FC ticket in her name, I just wasn't thinking it all the way through.
Two reservations for the same passenger on the same flight, can and does result in at least one of the reservations being cancelled.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
If you check in other threads, you will see that for domestic travel, no one is doing a same flight passenger-baggage match anymore. Or at least that is what I have been reading,
As a former US PHL ramp agent, I can confirm there is no positive match for domestic travel. You can check the bag in either name and it will (should - it is PHL after all) be on the flight with her.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Several years ago, I was upgraded, but a female co-worker who I was traveling with was not, and so I just gave her my FC seat; once we were on board, I just told her to take it. She did. There were no issues.
It's not the same story here. Only one person will board the aircraft...

If you really want to make it, you should consider traveling with a carry-on. You both check-in for the flight, she tries to board with your BP. If it works, she gets in. If they realize the name is different, then she gives the second BP with her name.

Other options are stressful and IMO it is not worth it. It's US domestic flight we are talking about, not SQ Intl J.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
I would not take the risk of deliberatly boarding with the wrong boarding pass

That said, my name is uncommon even my culture and more commonly of the other gender in the more dominant US culture. I constantly have problems when I call the bank or credit cards that they don't believe I am who I am because I am the wrong gender. I never had a problem when boarding a plane.

I also was once travelling with my spouse (on LH in Germany) and we mistakenly boarded with each others boarding passes. No problem at all.

Last edited by travellerK; Jul 13, 2012 at 9:16 am
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:21 am
Suspended

I've been in exact same situation as OP and my spouse was able to board with my BP. I'm sure it violates some rule but in the grand scheme of things not a big deal. She should have both BPs at the gate and use his -- if there's a problem she just says "oops, I gave you the wrong BP" and pulls out the other one. Or just tells them her plan -- they probably won't even mind.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by travellerK
I would not take the risk of deliberatly by boarding with the wrong boarding pass
I wouldn't do this either. Especially since the OP is flying on another flight around the same time. If he is able to get on that flight (a question), once miles post, there will be some sort of issue... They could think he's gaming the system, and worst case is shut down his account. That probably wouldn't happen, more likely is one of the flights' miles would be deducted.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by thyeri
It's not the same story here. Only one person will board the aircraft...
No kidding. The point, as you know, is that once you're seated in FC, it makes no difference whether or not your name matches the name on the boarding pass.

I would still (1) remove my Dividend Miles number from the paid trip to DFW, (2) do only carry-on bags or check them planeside, (3) get your wife to board only when a mob of people is boarding, with your boarding pass--preferably when Zone 5 or Zone 6 is boarding and (4) just take the FC seat.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
I have no idea why anyone would book an award on a domestic flight. It seems like a complete waste of RDMs to me. Having said that, can't you redeposit and rebook hers only? If you are GP or higher, you will have the award processing fees waived. And if not preferred, you can always get trial preferred at gold level or higher to save on fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.