Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the marginal utility from Silver to Gold?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
What is the marginal utility from Silver to Gold?

As of right now, I have 31266pqm for the year, which puts me 18,774 short of gold. I've never been gold, but I do have a club membership, and on my usual route (NYC-FLL) I've been 14/14 on snagging upgrades as silver.

Unfortunately, my scheduled flying for the year, except for 3 more NYC-FLL trips, is done. I'm taking the bar exam this summer, so i'm leaving my job to study full time as of May 1, and will be unable to fly at all until August 1. Also, after the Bar, my employment situation is unknown, so I have no idea where I could be living, or if I'll even have a job.

I've recently found multiple MRs which can get me the 18k PQMs for about $850-900. Alternatively, I can buy up to Gold for $990, so if I really wanted Gold, options do exist to get me there before my self-imposed May 1 cutoff.

Therefore, the questions I have are:

1) do you think that it would be worth doing the MR/buying up to gold for the extra baggage and preferred boarding? Or, 2) should I just be happy with Silver + club membership, and give up MRs for the year? I'm about 55% leaning towards just being happy with Silver, although the allure of Gold/*G until 2014 is strong.

I really don't know what to do. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
If you're happy with your upgrade percentage (can't see why you wouldn't be!) then it probably doesn't make sense for you.

Unless you travel internationally - basically *G will get you into a few slightly better lounges than the club membership will. Thinking LH Senator lounges over LH Business lounges, primarily. Oh, and of course *G lounge access will last longer than your current club membership unless you renew that.

Also, award booking - the quick ticketing fee that charges $75 when ticketing within 21 days of departure is now waived for golds and up.

If you ARE going to go for gold, and you have the time to do the MR's, I would do them instead of buying up. Not just because it's cheaper but because you'll get the PQM's plus 25% RDM's as well. And for all you know, you may be employed in the last quarter of the year in a position that involves flying - maybe you'll make platinum. You never know what can happen.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
...and on my usual route (NYC-FLL) I've been 14/14 on snagging upgrades as silver. ...
Oh my goodness! Stay where you are, save your $$, study hard, and if your travel plans change with new employment and possible international trips, you can always Buy Up to Gold later.

Best wishes.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EP
I may be stating the obvious here. The point of gaining status is that you would be able to get perks for future flights. If you don't anticipate flying much in the future then what good are the perks for? If I had that good upgrade chances being a Silver, I would keep my money!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
OP did not say there would be zero travel in 2013. Just none or next to none for much of 2012. Securing gold through 2/2014 might be useful if it can be done in an affordable manner now.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:08 pm

Unless you foresee a need for *G in 2013, it seems like you've gotten everything you need out of status and have a good chance of doing same in 2013, unless your plans change significantly.

For me, the jump from silver to gold helped me with upgrades, but I fly in the west on some tougher upgrade routes on USAirways. Doesn't sound too important to you.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Just to repeat what others have said ....

Value of Gold vs. Silver depends on your "portfolio."

It used to be that if one did a lot of TATLs from PHL, then Gold meant access to the Envoy Club, whereas neither Silver nor US club did the trick. (I'm always a bit confused about when *A Gold is getting me into an overseas club and when the US club would have done the same, so I won't go into that ...)

But, wow, for few if any TATLs and not a lot of baggage I assume -- plus FLL as a destination (easiest upgrade I've ever seen) -- you are living plenty large as a Silver. There just ain't that much more to get.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Therefore, the questions I have are:

1) do you think that it would be worth doing the MR/buying up to gold for the extra baggage and preferred boarding? Or, 2) should I just be happy with Silver + club membership, and give up MRs for the year? I'm about 55% leaning towards just being happy with Silver, although the allure of Gold/*G until 2014 is strong.

I really don't know what to do. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You may already understand this, but just in case. . . if you buy up to gold, your Gold status will last through the current program year -- until March 1, 2013.

However, if you fly the remaining miles to earn Gold, you are upgraded for the rest of this year AND all of next year -- until March 1, 2014.

So even if the cost is roughly the same to get to gold now, actually flying the miles will buy you that extra year.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
What to DO?

As I used to tell my children, your job description as a student is to get top grades. Period.

Save time and money now. If the job market does not co operate with you, the saved $ 1000+ will really come in handy and may allow you to travel to go to other locations when job hunting.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You may already understand this, but just in case. . . if you buy up to gold, your Gold status will last through the current program year -- until March 1, 2013.

However, if you fly the remaining miles to earn Gold, you are upgraded for the rest of this year AND all of next year -- until March 1, 2014.

So even if the cost is roughly the same to get to gold now, actually flying the miles will buy you that extra year.
Yeah, I was aware of that, but thanks for making sure.

After looking at the input I've received here, and thinking about it over the past few hours, I'm pretty sure that i'm just going to stick with Silver, unless some ridiculous MRs pop up.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:50 am

Programs: None
Yeah, I was aware of that, but thanks for making sure.
Just a question to make sure of your position. Were those 31K+ miles you mentioned flown in 2011 to secure your Silver status for this program year (2012) starting in a few days? Or are they the number of miles you've already flown this calendar year, which will give you Silver status for the 2013 program year starting on March 1, 2013?

While I think that the advice you've received so far is good, I don't want you to be left thinking that you'll have Silver status in 2013 because of miles flown in 2011.

Jim
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:46 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
If you don't intent to use your *G intensively this year, i would hold the cash and wait.

Consider alternative ways to hit Gold by the end of the year. For example, last year the GS gave the opportunity to earn 10K PQMs and you can earn an additional 10K PQMs if you spend 25K on your US Mastercard (i am also a student, so the latter is not an option for me yet)!!

If such an opportunity comes by and you take advantage it, then you can always take a "short" MR to secure your Gold status for next year!!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Just a question to make sure of your position. Were those 31K+ miles you mentioned flown in 2011 to secure your Silver status for this program year (2012) starting in a few days? Or are they the number of miles you've already flown this calendar year, which will give you Silver status for the 2013 program year starting on March 1, 2013?

While I think that the advice you've received so far is good, I don't want you to be left thinking that you'll have Silver status in 2013 because of miles flown in 2011.

Jim
Those 31k PQMs were flown in CY 2012, so I requaled as silver for the 2013 program year.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
While this may not be sufficiently important to the OP, on the initial question of "What is the marginal utility from Silver to Gold?" my anecdotal experience has been that Gold (and higher) get significantly better treatment when it comes to IROPS -- from priority in getting space on the next flight out to being provided room at a better hotel if forced to stay overnight due to a mechanical problem.

Of course, if you have trouble-free flying then this may never give you any value; however, when things go wrong (and with flights running very full), it can make a difference in whether you get a flight out later the same day or if it's a day or two later.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by twa777
While this may not be sufficiently important to the OP, on the initial question of "What is the marginal utility from Silver to Gold?" my anecdotal experience has been that Gold (and higher) get significantly better treatment when it comes to IROPS -- from priority in getting space on the next flight out to being provided room at a better hotel if forced to stay overnight due to a mechanical problem.

Of course, if you have trouble-free flying then this may never give you any value; however, when things go wrong (and with flights running very full), it can make a difference in whether you get a flight out later the same day or if it's a day or two later.
My thoughts exactly. For my flying purposes, Gold isn't necessary, but it sure would be nice to have. This is what made me seriously consider running for *G in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.