Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Are they still expiring in 18 months?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: DL FO, US SP, SPG G, HH S, PC PLT
Dead Mileage accounts

We have 3 grandkids and their miles expired. They had 15K each. Is there a way to active? Second is it worth it to pay to active?

Thanks

SCA
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by SAnger3494
We have 3 grandkids and their miles expired. They had 15K each. Is there a way to active? Second is it worth it to pay to active?

Thanks

SCA
From US's website (bolded most relevant I believe to you)

Since January 31, 2007, active membership status is based on having earned or redeemed miles within a consecutive 18-month period. Miles are subject to forfeiture if no miles have been earned or redeemed within a consecutive 18-month period. Flight mileage credits are earned when an itinerary is flown; miles are considered redeemed at the time an award is ticketed. With our new Mileage Reactivation Policy, Dividend Miles members have an opportunity to reinstate forfeited miles for an additional 18 months for a fee:
$10 1 – 4,999 miles
$50 5,000 - 19,999 miles
$150 20,000 - 49,999 miles
$250 50,000 - 99,999 miles
$400 100,000 or more miles
When you pay to reinstate forfeited miles, you must reinstate the entire balance of forfeited miles. If you do not reinstate forfeited miles within 36 months of the last activity date at the time of forfeiture, forfeited miles will be permanently deleted from your account and may not be reinstated. For purposes of this policy 'Mileage deletion date' means the last date that the members earned or redeemed miles at the time miles were forfeited.
Whether or not it's worth it...I guess that's up to you and them. Do you see yourself flying US more in the future? If so, you'd probably lean towards reinstatement.

edit/addendum:

Originally Posted by milemission
Are they still expiring in 18 months?
Yes, see above!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:04 pm

How quickly are re-instated miles available for use?

Hi there - I have been trying to get a hold of US Airways for almost 3 days and can't (feel bad for people actually trying to change flights!) so I thought I would post my question to this forum. I have expired miles that I can pay $150 to reinstate. Does anyone know how quickly they become available to use? For example, can I reinstate them (pay the $150) and then within 5 minutes of doing that use them to book a flight? I wasn't sure if there would be a lag time for processing/availability? Does anyone know??!! Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 4, 2011, 2:55 am

I am new to US Airways and did a browse over their website with little success.

I am curious as to how long miles are valid for? Is there a difference between flown miles and bought miles validity?

If I have miles in the account and don't fly for a period and then opt to buy 1000 will that extend the validity of the existing miles in my account?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: None
kwhistler9,

The reinstatement of expired miles should be almost instantaneous - as soon as your credit card transaction is approved and the agent makes the input restoring the miles.

747-444,

Miles, either elite qualifying or merely redeemable, are good "forever" as long as you have activity in your account at least once every 18 months. Anything that adds or subtracts at least 1 mile to/from your account qualifies as activity.

The difference between miles flown or bought is that the first are elite qualifying miles and the second are not. For redemption there is no difference. There are a few ways to get elite qualifying miles without flying - an annual spend of $25,000 on the DM credit card will result in 10,000 of those miles converting from redeemable to elite qualifying, for example.

Jim
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
US Airways gutted my account!

Hey all, long time lurker, very rare poster.

FYI, i have no status on US, but I did have a DM account with a balance of 39,881 miles + 18 segments for this year (just discovered mileage runs for the first time this past january). Sorry for the long post, but its necessary to get all the details.

Roughly the 3rd week of July, I signed up for the Dividend Miles debit card w/ BoA, at which point a 2nd DM account was created, despite me telling them to link it to my existing DM account. In response, I was told in 6-8 weeks, I should call US and have them merge the two accounts together, and all would be well. I'm about to purchase 2 tickets from HPN-FLL for my g/f and I to visit my parents for thanksgiving, and wanted to use my new US debit card to get miles and get a hit for the 2011 grand slam.

So today (9/22), I go and call the DM credit/debit card helpdesk to have them merge the two accounts. I explain the situation to the southern lady on the phone, who finds my accounts and says "we have 2 accounts on record for you: 1 with 39,981 miles, and one with 3,073 miles." Since I never found out what the 2nd account # was, she told it to me, and it was an 11-digit account, which is interesting compared to my 7 character alphanumeric existing DM account. Not thinking much of the difference, I asked her if she could reassociate the debit card w/ my existing DM account. She replied, "You'll have to call BoA and have them reassociate the card w/ your older account."

She then said to me, "So you'd like to merge everything into the larger account?" I said "yes, I would" and she put me on hold. 3 minutes go by and she says, "ok, everything has been moved into your BoA (she read out the account #) account, which now has 43,054 miles." I then said "no, i wanted everything to go to the pre-existing account with the larger balance." She said "no you didn't," and I replied, "yes, I did, I wanted everything to go into the larger account, the one with 39,900 miles in it." She said, "that's not what you said," even though at 25, its not as if I have memory problems. I know what I said. Why would I request to have the debit card linked with my original DM account, and then just drain it into the BoA-created one?

Anyways, I next said, "well, we must have a misunderstanding. Is there any way you can transfer it back to the original account?" She said, "I dont think so, but let me check." 10 minutes go by, and she gets back on the phone and tells me "we had the customer service supervisor put everything back into your original account, but it will take 2-3 days for you to see it." I said "is there any kind of transaction # or confirmation # i can have to make sure that this goes through, or if I call back?" The CS agent said "no, there isn't any record #. You have both account #s, which is all you need," in a tone that said "well, you're the idiot playing around with your accounts, its not my problem that your account's messed up." (irrelevant, I know, but a notable detail.)

So I hang up, and then attempt to set up a profile on the US website so I can just verify that the miles are in the BoA account. But, the website won't let me create the account, saying that the BoA account # doesn't exist. I then log-in to my old DM account, and it shows 0 miles, and 0 segments.

Given the well-known problems w/ US customer service + IT, I'm concerned that my miles + segments have just vaporized! What are the odds this is true? Was there something else I should have asked for while on the phone? Is there anything I can do from this point forward to make sure that the miles are in fact re-deposited into my account other than calling them back and making sure there is a record on file?

I appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I would give it the 2-3 days that was quoted to you and see what happens.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pacelaw2012 - As I read your post, you've answered your own question. According to you, the transaction took place today, 9/22 (actually it's 9/21 if you are on this side of the dateline) and the CSR told you that it would take 2-3 days before you could see it. As I calculate things, that would be 9/24-9/25 (depending on how you count today). Why don't you wait until Monday, 9/26, and let us know how it went.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:37 pm

Sounds like a tough situation. Is it possible that your account has been vaporized? I guess. I would think they could reconstruct it, but the problem might be getting the right person.

I guess what I don't understand is why you weren't content to let the merger be into the new account. It really would have saved you some trouble. Your new card would already be linked to it. And, you would now have an 11 digit number which in a lot of ways is easier than the old 7 digit numbers, especially when trying to do partner promos. In short, unless you were going to lose credit for your elite miles and status by moving to the new account, I'm not sure why you were insistent on keeping the old account other than you dug your heels in when the CSR suggested you had memory problems.

If there's any chance the new account still exists somewhere, even though you can't see it, that's probably where I would start -- call and see whether it does still exist, whether the 43k miles are there, whether you have status credit, and then just make that your account going forward.

What does the old account show with respect to flight activity this year? If it shows zero miles and zero segments, I would think if you can pull up any of your old record locators, this would be one way of demonstratiing conclusively to US that they got rid of your account in error.

Edit -- oops, didn't notice the timing issue. At this point, definitely, don't do anything. You might make it worse.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by lkar
Sounds like a tough situation. Is it possible that your account has been vaporized? I guess. I would think they could reconstruct it, but the problem might be getting the right person.

I guess what I don't understand is why you weren't content to let the merger be into the new account. It really would have saved you some trouble. Your new card would already be linked to it. And, you would now have an 11 digit number which in a lot of ways is easier than the old 7 digit numbers, especially when trying to do partner promos. In short, unless you were going to lose credit for your elite miles and status by moving to the new account, I'm not sure why you were insistent on keeping the old account other than you dug your heels in when the CSR suggested you had memory problems.

If there's any chance the new account still exists somewhere, even though you can't see it, that's probably where I would start -- call and see whether it does still exist, whether the 43k miles are there, whether you have status credit, and then just make that your account going forward.

What does the old account show with respect to flight activity this year? If it shows zero miles and zero segments, I would think if you can pull up any of your old record locators, this would be one way of demonstratiing conclusively to US that they got rid of your account in error.

Edit -- oops, didn't notice the timing issue. At this point, definitely, don't do anything. You might make it worse.
Thinking back on it, I probably should have just kept the 11-digit account, other than reluctance at having to memorize a new #. Not a real excuse, I know. I hope I didn't screw myself over, lol.

The US website on the old account shows 0 miles, 0 segments, and no history. However, I do have the email confirmation #s for all 18 segments i've flown this year. So, I'll look again on Friday/Monday and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the replies!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:24 pm

Point Expiration

How long can I hold on to Dividend Miles that I accrue?

Can I take a long term view of mile collection (over several years)?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by nexus99
How long can I hold on to Dividend Miles that I accrue?

Can I take a long term view of mile collection (over several years)?
It's all very clearly described here:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...mberguide.html
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:10 pm

Looks like if you don't earn any miles in an 18 month period your miles go poof.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by nexus99
Looks like if you don't earn any miles in an 18 month period your miles go poof.
Correct.

However there are options to extend their life...for $9. Or reinstate them if you forget.

Sounds like a good system to me...far preferable to keeping track of miles with rolling expiry dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.