Search

seat held for revenue??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

seat held for revenue??

I know this policy exists.
But a friend is a gold and flying in 2 days.
Flight full until 10 mins ago, now 1 seat in F. Even though within the upgrade window will not upgrade as "held for revenue"
heard about this but not seen it happen before.
Any clue when they will open the seat up to preferred upgrades?
I dont forsee them selling it and am worried will open to silvers overnight tonight in the auto-sweep.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Just because 1 seat is showing open on the seatmap does not mean 1 seat is actually open. Sometimes when you are upgraded you don't get a seat but you have a confirmed upgrade. If a seat is available during the next sweep it will go to the person of highest status.

Have your friend check their itinerary on the website generally I am upgraded a couple hours before I get the email.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Friend called, staff said YES 1 seat remains in F but we want to hold it for revenue right now.
So there is 1 F available (for purchase and on seat map) and rep confirmed it is in fact empty.
Just said had no idea when they would release it for preferred upgrades...
hoped someone here might know, since you are all well learned travelers
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
It seems to vary widely depending on the route. I have had some seats clear just a day or two before the flight. It seems to me that upgrades at my 7 day window are much more rare these days. This also means that there may be Chairmen or Plats in line ahead of your gold friend, so even when they open the seat, your friend might not get it.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
This has been happening for quite awhile. Even when Silver I was sometime notified only 30ish hours out that it cleared. If nothing by then and the seat is still open, I'd call back and see what the deal is. For now, nothing to do.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Forecasting when seats will be released is like black voodoo. Nobody really knows

The airlines make their decision on a wide number of factors including how many Y seats are open, how many F seats were purchased and how long ago, how many Y and F seats are open on other itineraries for the same city pair, which way the wind is blowing, and if the groundhog saw his shadow.

If the seat is opened just before the computer sweeps then your friend should not be too worried as the sweeps are run in order of status; a Silver will not get upgraded before a Gold based solely on the sweeps. I've monitored a lot of flights when waiting for lower-status companions to get upgraded and it seems to consistently respect the status level.

What your friend should be worried about, though, is higher-tier elites who may be in line before him; just because the Plat and CP windows have been open a while does not mean all Plat's and CP's cleared. Getting ready to board a flight where I cleared at the CP window and my CP boyfriend cleared at the Gold window. It happens a lot on full flights when they release inventory one by one.

This is also exactly why I get so upset to hear about agents doing manual upgrades (with the exception of elites with lap children). Theoretically a quick-dialing Silver could call in once that inventory is released but before the sweeps, and get the seat. Hopefully if a Silver does that, whichever agent they speak with will respect the rules and not process a manual upgrade. I guess your friend should indeed be worried about a Silver trying to con the system or pull a bait-and-switch!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: None
Like upgrades, it will probably depend on route and time. With only 1 FC seat open they could hold it till day of departure before releasing it for upgrade.

If the auto-upgrade does it's thing and isn't bypassed by an agent manually pushing an upgrade through, a gold will get it before a silver even when the silver window opens since the program is supposed to look at all elites who haven't been upgraded and award it in the correct priority order.

Jim
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks guys
basically keep checking :P
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
I'm having the same problem right now. got the email saying no upgrades available, but there are two open seats in F.

I called twice so far this morning and told they are still being held for revenue. really, what makes me want to keep trying for a higher status if i cant even get an upgrade at gold let alone CP?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bossku69
I'm having the same problem right now. got the email saying no upgrades available, but there are two open seats in F.

I called twice so far this morning and told they are still being held for revenue. really, what makes me want to keep trying for a higher status if i cant even get an upgrade at gold let alone CP?
agreed
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by bossku69
really, what makes me want to keep trying for a higher status if i cant even get an upgrade at gold let alone CP?
While a "free" upgrade is never guaranteed regardless of status held, higher status does improve your chances of getting one. Whether that's worth getting the higher status is an individual decision.

Jim
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I think the system is screwed up today. On my upcoming Monday flight LAS-PHL, I watched six F seats disappear today (either bought with dollars, bought with miles, or upgraded to CPs ahead of me). This seems highly unlikely. I'm hoping something is screwy today. In addition the Y cabin says SOLD OUT even though there are 22 seats unassigned.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 4:44 am

Programs: US CP, Hertz Pres Cir, HH Dia, Marriott Gold
Please don't buy those seats!

Ugh only 2 F seats left on 321 from CLT to SEA on 10/12; looks like only 1 person cleared (or they sold it) at 7 days as there were 3 when I purchased a week ago. Please don't buy those seats, they are a rip off (and I want one)! Funny how we many times hope this when seats are held for revenue on long flights. Surprised that 7 seats are held on my BDL to CLT. That seems like an lot of seats to try and sell for $900 for a short flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.