Removed from US Airways flt last night

Subscribe
Yesterday after a busy week of travel I was flying from St.Paul/Minn to phoenix where I was upgraded to first class. As I was sitting in first class I heard the flt attendents talking about an unresponsive passenger and soon saw two young men removed from the plane. They looked like young business men and seemed upset but definitely not unresponsive or intoxicated. I thought they must of done something really wrong to get removed from the plane but thought no more of it as we than started to take off. I had 2 pom martinis and went to sleep as I had been up for 16 hrs and it was a 3.5 hr flt. We landed in Phoenix and I went to my gate for my connecting flt to San Diego. I had about 30 min before we boarded and was trying to stay awake as I was exhausted. I heard the announcement several times for volunteers as the plane was oversold than we began to board. All I wanted was my window seat and a nap. As I entered the plan and VERY bubbly flt attendant greeted me. It might of been rude but I was tired and ignored her and went to my seat. As I was settling in for my nap a flt attendant asked me to come to the front of the plane. I assumed I was being upgraded to first and grabbed my stuff. Imagine my surprise when I saw there were no seats. They told me a manager wanted to talk to me on at the gate. I remember thinking did I drop something I had no idea what was up. The gate agent and manager talked to me and explained that the flt attendant thought I was "unresponsive" and didn't feel comfortable with me on the flight. I am now wide awake and spoke to them both along with two others. All four than told the flt. attendant that I was fine and just tired. They came back....with my carry on and told me they were sorry and that the flt attendant had the final say and that she didn't feel comfortable with me on the plane. By this time I was close to tears, upset and embarrassed and in disbelief. They than told me I would not be able to fly back until the next day. At that point I got on the phone to my attorney, requested a trip to medical to get a blood alcohol test to show that I was not intoxicated. When they heard me on the phone to my attorney they than stated they could put me on the next flight "even though it also was oversold" they found me a seat, apologized for the inconvenience, gave me the name of the flt. attendant and gave me the name of the four US airways employees that disagreed with the flt attendants assessment. I keep going back to "WHY" did this happen. The only thing that I can think of is they needed my seat for someone else! When I asked them if that was the case they looked at each other and said no. I am VERY curious to know who ended up sitting in my seat and how a flt attendant that I had NO contact with could make this judgement. Ironically my seat on the next flight was in an exit row....I'm judged too unresponsive to fly and than am placed in a seat expected to assist in case of an emergency! Seems strange that in one night I see two passengers removed from an oversold flight out of StPaul/Minn and than I am removed for the same reason on an oversold flt out of Phoenix...Is this their new approach to getting seats??????
That is absolutely ridiculous.. not to mention ironic with regards to the placement of your eventual seat.
I'd start with a written complaint to DOT. You were involuntarily denied boarding. They owe you denied boarding compensation. That's for starters.

I'd also contemplate a letter to the attorney general of Arizona and a lawsuit against USAir.

And I'd make this as public as I could.
First off welcome to FT. Based on your account, I'm sorry this happened to you.
With that said the flight attendant does not make the final call on who stays. It's the capt's. call. I doubt the over sale had anything to do with it. Sad to say some f/a's are just to scared.
welcome to FT cherylsiscon, I'm just unhappy to hear it's in such circumstances. I'm going to move your thread over onto our dedicated US Airways forum, where the guys and gals there can help you sort out what is the best course of action.

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Quote: I'd start with a written complaint to DOT. You were involuntarily denied boarding. They owe you denied boarding compensation. That's for starters.

I'd also contemplate a letter to the attorney general of Arizona and a lawsuit against USAir.

I completely agree and I would only add that I hope that the OP reports back on what happens.
Quote: I'd start with a written complaint to DOT. You were involuntarily denied boarding. They owe you denied boarding compensation. That's for starters.

Not saying that what the OP has said, didnt happen but you have to remember there is only one side of the story here. In any case, before you start saying to go to the DOT, file a lawsuit, go public, etc., etc., why don't you suggest the OP try to actually contact US first. Then if the OP isnt happy with the response, then pursue it further.

Also, denying boarding to somebody for reasons of intoxication, behavior, etc. isnt from my understanding (based on what friends have told me) just a "kick him off the plane and lets go" process. The employees involved have to fill out incident reports, etc after the fact.

This also doesnt seem as if its an IDB situation. Its not as if this person was bumped from the flight, they were removed from the flight for a reason other than overbooking.
Quote: Also, denying boarding to somebody for reasons of intoxication, behavior, etc. isnt from my understanding (based on what friends have told me) just a "kick him off the plane and lets go" process. The employees involved have to fill out incident reports, etc after the fact.
Would depend on the airline, I suspect. The FA and possibly the Captain should fill out an incident report so Customer Relations would have both side's perspective in the event a complaint is filed, but I don't think it's required at US (GalleyWench could say if that's changed). Plus the crew has something like 24 hours to submit the report so could fill it out enroute to the next stop, at the hotel, etc - doing so wouldn't delay departure.

Jim
Thank you for your input as well as the other posts! I plan on filing a complaint with USAirway's and will wait to see what their response is.
Thank you. Was not sure where to originally post this.
Thank you for your input. I will keep you posted on the response I get from my formal written complaint to US Airways.
Quote: ...At that point I got on the phone to my attorney, requested a trip to medical to get a blood alcohol test to show that I was not intoxicated. When they heard me on the phone to my attorney...
Welcome to FlyerTalk, cherylsiscon ^

Sorry to hear of that unfortunate occurence . Since your attorney has already been consulted and involved, s/he's the best one for further advice. I daresay US will respond to your attorney acting on your behalf for explanation, compensation and other relief sought.

Best wishes.
Quote: Welcome to FlyerTalk, cherylsiscon ^

Sorry to hear of that unfortunate occurence . Since your attorney has already been consulted and involved, s/he's the best one for further advice. I daresay US will respond to your attorney acting on your behalf for explanation, compensation and other relief sought.

Best wishes.
Adding to what Kudzu has said, when you have anything to report back, i´m sure everyone would be interested (as i am sure you would be) in knowing what `nonresponsive`means, both in your case and in general. It seems to me to be one of those catchall words, allowing them to deplane anyone that their heart desires
I've never heard the term "unresponsive" in any other capacity than in a medical situation where the passenger isn't responding to any sort of stimuli. If it's some sort of "security" term I've never heard it or seen it used. If the only thing the OP did was not reply when welcomed on board I am equally as confused. Heck, if I had everyone removed that didn't reply to my greeting then I would be flying around on empty airplanes. Even if a passenger was in the exit row and refused to acknowledge the briefing then I would just move them out of the exit row but not remove them from the flight (unless there were other problems with them).
The crew should be filling out a report for removing a passenger, but it can be submitted up to 48 hours after termination of the trip.
Hope the OP follows up with what's happening.
Unbelievable story. Did US Airways issued some warning about "non-responsive" customers and now the attendants are hyper sensitive? Is it allowed to sleep on a US Airways plane since you are "non-responsive" when sleeping.

Quote: At that point I got on the phone to my attorney, requested a trip to medical to get a blood alcohol test to show that I was not intoxicated. When they heard me on the phone to my attorney they than stated they could put me on the next flight "even though it also was oversold" they found me a seat, apologized for the inconvenience, gave me the name of the flt. attendant and gave me the name of the four US airways employees that disagreed with the flt attendants assessment.
This freaks me out. What kind of society the USA become? A lawyer ruled one? Do I need always a lawyer on 7/24 standby? This is really scary!